Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:52:42  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4748292.stm

quote:
A Sudanese man has been forced to take a goat as his "wife", after he was caught having sex with the animal.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  23:02:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
A Sudanese man has been forced to take a goat as his "wife", after he was caught having sex with the animal.

Sounds like a fair solution all around, assuming the goat was not forced into this marriage.

Damn, I'm kicking myself, because this is one example of (I presume) "Islamic justice" that I actually like!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  02:46:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Goatfucker, hah?

Some time back, I read a little screed on that very subject.

Y'know, you could live a long life doing the greatest of works; be foremost in some scientific field or invent a ground-breaking, surgical procedure; you could be a famous philanthropist giving millions to those who need it more than yourself; you could excel in the arts, making perhaps the kind of music that the masters tried and failed to make; or you might preach the Gospel in a voice so powerful and yet so soothing that your congregations are filled with the true religious zeal and wish no more for themselves than to emulate your humble devotion. You might read the law and stand shoulder to shoulder with the shrewdest barresters of history.

You might accomplish any or all of those things, and more, but if you get caught fucking a goat, just one goat.....

You will not be remembered as Sam the great Scientist and/or Physician. Nor will you be thought of as Sam who fed the Poor and housed the Destitute. You will no longer be Sam, who saved the Souls of a Multitude, nor Sam who argued before the Supreme Court and never lost a Case, nor Sam whose music enthralled the Bitterest of Spirits. No, you will forever be Sam the Goatfucker, and all else will be forgotten.

I do hope the fellow's goat is a pretty one, 'cause he's stuck with it forever.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/25/2006 02:53:22
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  02:53:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
filthy mourned:
quote:
You might accomplish any or all of those things, and more, but if you get caught fucking a goat, just one goat.....
So sad, all fame lost, for the love of a single goat. What an unjust world we live in, that men are so unfairly judged for merely pleasing a lover that cannot speak its name.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/25/2006 02:54:45
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  18:31:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I fail to see the benefit over a hand. Maybe it's the fur?
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  18:36:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
"...used it as his wife."

Boy, if that don't tell us something ominous about women's rights in rural Arab countries, I don't know what would.

Poor goat.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  18:39:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Halfmooner wrote:
quote:
Damn, I'm kicking myself, because this is one example of (I presume) "Islamic justice" that I actually like!

Since it was a counsel of elders and not the legal authorities, it sounds more like Arab tribal justice. But anyway, why do you like it? The goat's getting screwed, and apparently, being a wife is about money and sex and not much else.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  21:47:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
marfknox said:
quote:
The goat's getting screwed, and apparently, being a wife is about money and sex and not much else.

For the huge majority of human history, women have been considered property. You haven't been legally allowed to vote for a hundred years yet.

And the Arabian cultures were, in times gone by, seriously mercantile. Women were absolutely nothing more than property and breeding stock, legally speaking.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.