church sign
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BaccaBerri

12 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  13:28:54  Show Profile  Send BaccaBerri a Yahoo! Message Send BaccaBerri a Private Message
On my way to work the other day i saw a sign outside a church that says 'dusty bibles lead to dirty lives' is it just me or does anyone else find that offensive and just make you want go knock on the door and give them a peace of your mind out how wrong that way of thinking is.....

Commit Random Acts of Kindness

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  13:36:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
My favorite church sign reads: "Marriage is one man and women"

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  14:01:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
In response to BaccaBerri,

No, I do not feel the urge to give them a piece of my mind. I believe in freedom of religion, and I think that a pluralistic society is desirable. If someone said that during a town meeting, it would be different. But we're talking about a church sign on private property.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

BaccaBerri

12 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  14:24:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send BaccaBerri a Yahoo! Message Send BaccaBerri a Private Message
you don't find it rude to those reading it? you don't think that putting a sign like that which basically shows no tolerance for those who don't follow the bible uncalled for?

sorry 'bout the spelling i type faster then i think sometimes

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  14:53:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BaccaBerri:

On my way to work the other day i saw a sign outside a church that says 'dusty bibles lead to dirty lives' is it just me or does anyone else find that offensive and just make you want go knock on the door and give them a peace of your mind out how wrong that way of thinking is.....

I think the message on the sign is moronic. I would not, however, waste my time on it. If I personally responded to every message I disagree with or found offensive, I would have time for little else. Besides, the price of living in a free society is sometimes being annoyed by differing views.

You could always rent your own billboard with your own message. Maybe "Open bibles lead to closed minds"?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

BaccaBerri

12 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  14:55:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send BaccaBerri a Yahoo! Message Send BaccaBerri a Private Message
that's a good one

i have no intention of saying anything it is just an annoyance to me, I have no patience for some things and signs like that are one that just grates on my nerves when i read them.....

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  15:05:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
BaccaBerri wrote:
quote:
you don't find it rude to those reading it? you don't think that putting a sign like that which basically shows no tolerance for those who don't follow the bible uncalled for?

Don't confused tolerance with acceptance. I tolerate other belief systems. I do not accept them. The people who put up that church sign also tolerate the beliefs of those who disagree. But they don't accept it, and hope that they can change some people's mind through their public expression. Is it intolerant when The Simpsons or Family Guy make fun of fundamentalist Christians? Is it intolerant when public figures criticize any religious groups? Of course not. It only crosses the line into intolerance when we try to stop what other are doing with force. People legislating to outlaw gay marriage are intolerant because they are trying to use the force of the law to cause gays to conform to their morality.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 02/25/2006 15:05:47
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  15:09:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
So if we burn all the Bibles, there will be no more dusty ones, and thus, it will solve a vast majority of societies problems? Funny, that sounds just about right to me.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 02/25/2006 15:10:23
Go to Top of Page

BaccaBerri

12 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  15:12:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send BaccaBerri a Yahoo! Message Send BaccaBerri a Private Message
fair enough.....living here the sign is more normal than anything else really. It's the double standard i would think, I can't understand what why anyone would think that i sign like that is ok....it's not the idea that the sign is going against non-believers, it's the idea that anyone who is not normally reading the bible is morally bad. Yes this may go to they are trying to make people read it more or whatever, but when someone who is easily led reads this they may come to the conclusion that it is true....there is the problem in my opinion anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  15:30:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I wouldn't do anything as I recognize their right to put any words they want on a sign on their private property.

If I put the sign "Beware of Dogma" on my lawn, I would like others to respect my right to keep that sign there too.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  15:56:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Hey BaccaBerri, here's a way to have a little fun with it. You might get a kick out of this old SFN thread.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  17:34:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BaccaBerri

fair enough.....living here the sign is more normal than anything else really. It's the double standard i would think, I can't understand what why anyone would think that i sign like that is ok....it's not the idea that the sign is going against non-believers, it's the idea that anyone who is not normally reading the bible is morally bad.

You're also assuming that "dirty lives" are a bad thing. You are of course free to agree with this premise, but that doesn't make it true.

If you're going to be offended by every stupid/ignorant/incorrect billboard, methinks you're going to be a very busy protestor! I'd suggest you'll need more tha a handful of good personal assistants to stay on top of the correspondence.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

BaccaBerri

12 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  17:41:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send BaccaBerri a Yahoo! Message Send BaccaBerri a Private Message
I suppose i would be busy lol.....I was just making a comment about this one because it hit a nerve with me i guess i'm tired of the idea that it is meant to stand for, not just the sign itself

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  18:50:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
BaccaBerri, I suggest you throw this one back in their faces:

Thanks, GeeMack and Randy, you led me to the church sign site by stages.

Or, another one, Bacca:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/25/2006 19:29:57
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  20:54:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I think the dirty lives sign is offensive. Free speech says I wouldn't bother knocking on the door. But two guys with church name tags came to my door this morning. I told then they were full of it and shut the door. Normally If I have time I talk to these guys and tell them all the horrible immoral things God in the Bible says is OK like killing Amanite babies and Lot having sex with his daughters and blaming them.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  21:24:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
B. said:
quote:
I think the dirty lives sign is offensive.

I agree, and BaccaBerri merely said as much. An insult, especially one that was so clearly intended as such, should be seen as what it is, though it was clearly free speech. What really gripes me about it is the implicit sense of ignorant, smarmy superiority the sign expressed.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/25/2006 21:32:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.