15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  01:13:23  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
This thread is an attempt at an off-shoot of this new thread:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5688

... and this old thread:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5367

I invite people to make their "church signs" at this Web site:

http://www.churchsigngenerator.com/

You can use either of two listed church sign formats there. You can also easily host your creations at this site:

http://imageshack.us/

Since I have tonight spent several hours collecting and inserting a great number of odd biblical quotes and doing other mischief with the Church Sign Generator, I will lead off. I got my quotes here, by the way:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Here we go:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  02:32:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Heh, not bad.

But I'd like to submit the real deal:

If memory serves, Ricky found it a year or so back.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  02:38:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thanks, filthy, and Ricky! Hilarious! The real McCoys (or, in this case, Hatfields) are always the funniest.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/26/2006 02:39:22
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  13:49:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message

Solomon's "700 Club"

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  14:53:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  15:22:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  20:27:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I don't remember anything like that. But hey, if you're willing to give me credit, I'll surely take it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  20:38:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
You started it all this back last year, Ricky, before my shadow darkened SFN's door:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5367

filthy will have to account for his memory of the source of the "THERE ARE NO ATHEISTS IN HELL" photo. Or not. Anyway, it's always good to take credit when it's offered without strings attached. ; )

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/26/2006 20:49:58
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  21:04:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Well, Randy started that thread. Mine was, "Young boys welcome", but I don't remember anything about "There are no atheists in Hell."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  21:07:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

If memory serves, Ricky found it a year or so back.
I'm pretty sure that Wendy took that "no atheists in hell" photo, but I just spent a half-hour looking for the original thread and can't find it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  21:29:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Dave W. said:
quote:
I'm pretty sure that Wendy took that "no atheists in hell" photo, but I just spent a half-hour looking for the original thread and can't find it.

As a faker myself, I'm now kinda skeptical of it. Not only does it have a "too good to be true-ness" to it, there are repeating dark marks between the lines that make me wonder if the image had been Photoshopped to remove the original text. Whoever posted this may well have believed it was genuine. And it may be. The signs I see of manipulation, if that's what they are, are very subtle.

(Another "too good" photo I wonder about is the "BEHEAD THOSE WHO SAY ISLAM IS VIOLENT" photo, that I posted in good faith. In that case, I don't suspect photo manipulation so much as I now wonder if it was taken of a clever trickster who had infiltrated an Islamist rally. I find no sign of manipulation in close-up.)

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  22:33:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Dave W. said:
quote:
As a faker myself, I'm now kinda skeptical of it. Not only does it have a "too good to be true-ness" to it, there are repeating dark marks between the lines that make me wonder if the image had been Photoshopped to remove the original text. Whoever posted this may well have believed it was genuine. And it may be. The signs I see of manipulation, if that's what they are, are very subtle.
Nonononono. Wendy took the original photo, and I helped her out by resizing it and uploading it to the SFN servers, I simply can't find the damn thread in which she got around to posting it for all to see. I've re-uploaded the original to my own web site just now, and the "marks" you see, I think, are simply the screws holding the tracks in which the transparent-plastic letters are held.

I'm guessing here, but it seems like filthy downloaded it from the original SFN thread, and has now re-uploaded it to ImageShack.

I mean, the slogan is just a slight twist on the old "There are no atheists in foxholes" canard, but a twist which adds a second meaning which obviously wasn't foreseen.

And here's something interesting: I came close to emailing the pastor about the photo back last March when I did the resize and upload on it. Parkers Mill Baptist Church actually had a decent "Web presence" back then. Now? Nothing but directory listings on other Web sites. But then, the Internet is a tool of Satan...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  22:39:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Dave W. said:
quote:
Nonononono. Wendy took the original photo, and I helped her out by resizing it and uploading it to the SFN servers, I simply can't find the damn thread in which she got around to posting it for all to see. I've re-uploaded the original to my own web site just now, and the "marks" you see, I think, are simply the screws holding the tracks in which the transparent-plastic letters are held.
Then I stand corrected, thanks.

Dave further stated:
quote:
I mean, the slogan is just a slight twist on the old "There are no atheists in foxholes" canard, but a twist which adds a second meaning which obviously wasn't foreseen.

And here's something interesting: I came close to emailing the pastor about the photo back last March when I did the resize and upload on it. Parkers Mill Baptist Church actually had a decent "Web presence" back then. Now? Nothing but directory listings on other Web sites. But then, the Internet is a tool of Satan...

It's a wonderful error, wonderful.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/26/2006 22:42:27
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  00:26:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Apparently, "there are no atheists in hell" has been making the rounds for a while.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/27/2006 00:27:36
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  00:46:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Here's a couple from one of the links

http://net-burst.net/quips/quotes.htm

"Read the Bible, it'll scare the hell out of you." And I'm especially concerned about the people who want to make the thing come true.
"Nothing ruins the truth like stretching it." Like the truth that condoms don't prevent HIV, Saddam has WMDs, prayers actually get responded to.....or this quote: "The Bible: More up-to-date than tomorrow's newspaper."
"You don't have to be brain-dead to live for Jesus, but when you are, you'll be glad you did." Huh???????????

"God is love, burn in hell" seems to be the theme of most of the quotes. Apparently it doesn't dawn on these folks that revenge is not a subset of love.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/27/2006 00:47:19
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  01:19:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
B. wrote:
quote:
"You don't have to be brain-dead to live for Jesus, but when you are, you'll be glad you did." Huh???????????
Very big "huh"!

Thanks for the background on that quote, and other ignorant ravings of its ilk. Sometimes, it's too painful to believe there really are people that stupid, so I guess I preferred to think the "no atheists in hell" quote was a skeptic's hoax. I'd still rather think that, but now I can't, damnit.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.