Creationist soon-to-be-doctors in Britain
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  01:31:47  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Bible (and Koran) quoting science students on the rise on British campuses - eek! http://smh.com.au/news/world/biblequoting-science-students-on-rise/2006/02/21/1140284067565.html

Hard for me to imagine medical students actually quoting the Bible or Koran as science in a paper. The most frightening and bizarre line of the article is this quote at the end:
quote:
Most of the next generation of medical and science students could be creationists, according to a biology teacher at a leading London college. "The vast majority of my students now believe in creationism," she said, "and these are thinking young people who are able and articulate and not at the dim end at all."

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  01:49:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thank you for the link, marfknox. This is the first I've heard about Islamic creationism, though I've wondered about it. This is the kind of thinking that could keep the Islamic word in darkness and poverty. As it could do to our world, as well.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  02:28:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Not at the dim end? I doubt that.

I don't buy it. Med students take too much biology. Medicine is too involved in genetics right now and it isn't going to toss those successes out the window. This article is not credible. I believe there are a few, and maybe even some very visible ones, but not "most".
Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/02/2006 02:30:52
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  13:00:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
B. opined:
quote:
I don't buy it. Med students take too much biology. Medicine is too involved in genetics right now and it isn't going to toss those successes out the window. This article is not credible. I believe there are a few, and maybe even some very visible ones, but not "most".
I hope you're right, and suspect you are.

Certainly, I would hate to see professors being intimidated into giving passing grades to anyone quoting scripture instead of using science. That might even be happening as a distraction, by students who haven't read the material.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  13:25:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
beskeptical wrote:
quote:

Well I don't know if I buy tha the "vast majority" of students believe in creationism(unless creationism is being defined in a looser and broader sense), but since that was a quote from someone who was interviewed for the article, it being wrong doesn't discredit the article. It makes that person who was interviewed not credible.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  13:38:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
Well, 1 Kings 7:23 says

quote:
He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits [o] from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits [p] to measure around it.

So, according to Scripture the value of pi is 3.

I'd love to see some goober trying to use that value- and waving the Bible to justify it- in a math class (FSM forbid said goober should ever be involved in designing a bridge or a building).

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  14:35:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ktesibios

Well, 1 Kings 7:23 says

quote:
He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits [o] from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits [p] to measure around it.

So, according to Scripture the value of pi is 3.

It depends which way you go through the calculation - if you start with the circumference and divide by pi you get 9.55 cubits which rounds to 10 cubits. There are clearer examples of nonsense in the Bible ie: bats are birds.

I believe the Texas State legislature passed a bill declaring pi to equal to 3 in order to make math simpler for students. I am pretty sure this bill was done tongue in cheek as a example of the nonsens that could be passed in the end of session rush.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  14:45:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
See "Alabama's Slice of Pi."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  14:56:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Whew! Thank the deuce that is just an urban legend or I would be embarrassed to live in Alabama. Oh wait...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 03/02/2006 14:57:34
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  15:02:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
I sit corrected Dave.

Your link raises as many quetions at it answers though.

I wonder what in the name of the Flying Spagetti Monster went on in Indiana in 1897.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  15:44:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
ktesibios posted:
quote:
I love that one!

Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  10:20:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic
It depends which way you go through the calculation - if you start with the circumference and divide by pi you get 9.55 cubits which rounds to 10 cubits. There are clearer examples of nonsense in the Bible ie: bats are birds.

So the ancient Israelites were just lousy at measurement?

Perhaps the wisdom of Solomon included hiring consultants who had a clue to do his engineering work.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  12:47:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
There was something to do on this in the Netherlands. Muslim students who took biology classes at the university and turned in papers with the debunked arguments of Harun Yahya and his ilk. The professors and teachers did the only thing appropriate there. They gave them the choice to hand in something decent or quit the study.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  17:36:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I picture some future genetics researcher saying something like, "your AIDS cure can't be real since we know there is no precurser to the flagella."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.