Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Anyone have a spell check for firefox upgrade?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  02:03:39  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I started to ask about this on the chat today but got distracted before getting an answer or before posting it, I can't even remember.

Anyway, we installed the FireFox upgrade a day or so ago and it killed the spell checker. Does anyone know of one that works for FireFox besides the one you can only check one word at a time with?

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  04:16:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I use firefox, and I use the Googlebar for firefox - it has spell check built it and works great.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  05:00:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal
Does anyone know of one that works for FireFox besides the one you can only check one word at a time with?

There's a development version of spellbound available from the mozillazine site which works just fine with Firefox 1.5.0.1 (the version I'm using right now).

You may have to re-install your dictionary with the new version depending on what version of Spellbound you had previously (I'm only guessing that's what you had, based on the fact that Firefox version 1.5x broke the release version of Spellbound, but my crystal ball has misled me in the past). Try it with your current dictionary first, it won't hurt. More dictionaries are available here if you need one.

Once installed you can right click on a text box (like a message compose window here at SFN) and get a spell check window. Don't forget to select your language of choice from the drop down list the first time after installation, or you won't get any suggestions, and will think your spelling is perfect like myne.

Pleco's right about the Googlebar, although this is an extra installation, not the standard search bar which people often think is the Googlebar. (perhaps brand awareness can go too far) You can get it here. I don't use this one, but believe the current version does proper spell checking. I'm not sure if it's a word at a time, or the whole dialogue, I'm sure Pleco could let us know.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 03/07/2006 03:38:46
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  05:16:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Google Bar: It checks all form fields - and underlines all misspelled words. You cannot edit the form field while this mode is enabled. Click on each underlined word for suggestions, etc. When done, turn off the spell check.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.