Politics
 When the invasion starts...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  11:46:49  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/03/10/iran.nuclear/index.html

Bushs 'im gonna invade Iran' talk is getting heavier and I think hes just gonna by-pass Syria and go for the gusto.

Id say he finds an excuse to go in by the end of the year, after all hes got to have a good reason to declare himself The Unimpeacable Ruler of the World before the next election and the more conflict the better in that regard.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  12:27:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
If I were a christian I would state that Bush is the AntiChrist.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  16:00:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I say GO FOR IT!

That'll teach the world a lot of lessons. Firstly, that America truly is the great nation of Satan that every God-fearing Muslim needs to learn to hate. Secondly, it'll teach American citizens that when voting or abstaining from voting, they will get what they deserve. Thirdly, the North Koreans will learn that they can always rely on America's unwillingness to antaginoze China to protect them from pre-emptive strikes against their nuclear arms program. North Korea will remain safe while the US goes after the evil Muslims.
Finally, it will teach the rest of the world that some country or another will have to mobilize their military intelligence and its' covert operations section for an assassination of an American president before it is too late, because it will be in the best interest of the world community. Someone needs to pull the plug of the fan, before Bush takes a dump on it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 03/10/2006 16:09:00
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  16:26:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Voting isn't the problem. Education is the problem.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  19:45:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Mab said:
quote:
Secondly, it'll teach American citizens that when voting or abstaining from voting, they will get what they deserve.

Alot of us already know that, something like 49% of voters.

Of the other 51%.... some % of them is just freakin happy with W and his insanity, some % of them are just ignorant.

Go easy on the USA man.... all hope isn't lost, yet.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  22:30:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
BigPapa, I think this is diplomatic brinkmanship being played to effect change in Iran, not a real prelude to war. The fact that the world is much more united about Iran than it had been about Iraq leads me to think this is the way it's being played. With no support, Iran would more likely compromise under such pressure.

Invading Iran, particularly with Iraq already an increasing quagmire, would be madness. I hope Bush isn't that crazy. On the other hand, if Iran continues with a nuke weapons program, the whole world would have do make a decision about it a few years down the road. If things went that way, I expect the issue of Iranian nuclear weapons would be settled by a few conventional cruise missiles.

So I think/hope that the present bellicose talk is aimed at getting Iran to accept the kind of compromise the Russians are offering them. The US can't invade Iran, when we already can't control Iraq, a country a third Iran's size and population.

Dude wrote:
quote:
Alot of us already know that, something like 49% of voters.

Of the other 51%.... some % of them is just freakin happy with W and his insanity, some % of them are just ignorant.

Go easy on the USA man.... all hope isn't lost, yet.

I don't, can't, shouldn't and won't expect people here in the US or in other countries to go easy on us. We do have a screaming awful president here right now, and he threatens the whole world with his stupidity and possibly his madness. It's just not reasonable for the world to pretend our electorate had nothing to do with the situation. Maybe the world should, however, realize that 9/11 created a huge change in the minds of Americans, and made a situation where even this idiot of a President could exploit the pent-up rage of the people, and deliberately misdirect it.

On the other hand, you are right, also: Hope isn't lost. Even with the rage people felt after 9/11, only a bare majority of voters bought the lies. The percentages you mention are from the last Presidential election, and would probably be much different right now. If we do have another election, Bush and gang are going to have their comeuppance.

To re-phrase a winning campaign question that Reagan pummeled Carter with: "With a Republican White House and Congress, do you feel more secure in your person, your freedom, and your livelihood than you did in January 2001?"

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/10/2006 22:43:29
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  23:07:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Invading Iran, particularly with Iraq already an increasing quagmire, would be madness.

The US can't invade Iran, when we already can't control Iraq, a country a third Iran's size and population.

Never underestimate the insanity of a religious fundamentalist who thinks god is on his side. His ability to ignore evidence that contradicts what he wants to believe is phenomenal. Hopefully the shortage of troops and equipment would physically prevent it.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  23:38:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
And Ghost_Skeptic sez:
quote:
Never underestimate the insanity of a religious fundamentalist who thinks god is on his side. His ability to ignore evidence that contradicts what he wants to believe is phenomenal. Hopefully the shortage of troops and equipment would physically prevent it.
If an actual invasion of Iran were about to happen, I suspect our only clear warning would consist of several generals suddenly resigning their commissions.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  23:45:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
George W. Bush isn't doing a very good job in the view of most Americans...
quote Yahoo! News:
Bush's Approval Rating Falls to New Low

More and more people, particularly Republicans, disapprove of President Bush's performance, question his character and no longer consider him a strong leader against terrorism, according to an AP-Ipsos poll documenting one of the bleakest points of his presidency.

Nearly four out of five Americans, including 70 percent of Republicans, believe civil war will break out in Iraq -- the bloody hot spot upon which Bush has staked his presidency. Nearly 70 percent of people say the U.S. is on the wrong track, a 6-point jump since February.
And what does Georgie do when he's losing his grip? He tries to scare people. He threatens people. He kills people. As usual, we probably have more to fear from the administration than we do from those "enemies" they dangle in front of us. But do look out. Reason and rationality have never been Georgie's strong suits, if it could be argued that he ever applies them at all. All the scary people are making scary noises about Iran...
quote Information Clearing House:
The 48 Hour Media-Blitz for War with Iran

In the last 48 hours all the major players in the Bush administration have issued statements warning of the impending danger of Iran.

Cheney blasted the Islamic regime saying there would be "meaningful consequences" if it refuses to comply with international demands to stop its nuclear program.

Condoleezza Rice said, "We face no greater challenge from a single country than Iran... This is a country that seems determined, it seems, to develop a nuclear weapon in defiance of the international community that is determined that they should not get one."

Donald Rumsfeld warned at a press conference on Wednesday, "I will say this about Iran. They are currently putting people into Iraq to do things that are harmful to the future of Iraq. We know it, and it is something that they, I think, will look back on as having been an error in judgment."

Bush chimed in too, "Iran must not have a nuclear weapon. The most destabilizing thing that can happen in this region and in the world is for Iran to have a nuclear weapon."

And then there was Bolton, the most vehement of all, saying that the Security Council should issue a "vigorous response" to Iran's nuclear ambitions or the United States might have to consider other steps.
Edited by - GeeMack on 03/10/2006 23:46:52
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  00:31:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally in the first article linked by GeeMack

Nearly four out of five Americans, including 70 percent of Republicans, believe civil war will break out in Iraq...
I wonder how many Americans, like me, think that civil war has been occuring in Iraq ever since the first "insurgent" attack which killed or injured zero American (or "coalition") troops.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  13:49:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I say GO FOR IT!

That'll teach the world a lot of lessons. ...

Can me and my son come live with you then?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  14:54:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
Originally in the first article linked by GeeMack

Nearly four out of five Americans, including 70 percent of Republicans, believe civil war will break out in Iraq...
I wonder how many Americans, like me, think that civil war has been occuring in Iraq ever since the first "insurgent" attack which killed or injured zero American (or "coalition") troops.

That civil war started the instant Saddam went underground and the Iraqis didn't have to fear him any more. I, an ignorant redneck, saw it at the time; why couldn't the rocket scientists in our government?

I'll tell you why: George the Functionally Illiterate went into Iraq knowing jack-shit about the culture of that nation. Worse yet, his alleged advisors seemed to know the same or less, or else they weren't listened to. Hell, I knew more about it than the Illustrious Idiot, for the love a'Judas! Anyone who has ever studied, or even just casually read about the Middle East could have predicted it.

And now Prayer for Brains is drooling and slobbering about Iran? I think he's just stupid enough to try it, perhaps with an Israeli cat's paw if he can't get UN backing. And won't that make the entire Mid East a democratic paradise, oh yeah.

Impeach, indict, try, weigh the evidence, convict, and imprison the fucker. He's no more than another tin-pot war criminal with a reach that far exceeds his grab!

Kind'a reminds me of someone else....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  15:45:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I say GO FOR IT!

That'll teach the world a lot of lessons. ...

Can me and my son come live with you then?

Absolutely!
You'd have to wait in line though. Siberia already has the first place, and more people are standing in line.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.