New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  18:35:15  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Looking for a tablet style notebook PC....

I have googled and yahood and still am comming up empty for what I'm looking for.

Trying to find one with these options:

Dual core CPU (AMD or Intel)
PCI-Express graphics card (ATI or nVidia)

Can't find a tablet style notebook pc with both of those things. For the rest: harddrive, memory, etc,.... most manufacturers have plenty of options...

Kinda frustrating.

Any suggestions appreciated....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  18:51:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message
Did you see the Toshiba M400?

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/srch.to
http://www.tabletpcreviewspot.com/default.asp?newsID=361

Or are you not looking for one those laptops that you can twist the monitor?

A vendor had shown me the LS1600. Our business deals with hospitals.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  19:14:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Did you see the Toshiba M400?

Yeah, I saw it. It is almost exactly what I want... but I can only find it with that crappy built-in Intel graphics chip.

If I could stick in a Nvidia or ATI mobile graphics card...

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  07:40:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message
Hmmm...

http://www.averatec.com/notebooks/C3500.htm
Don't know if it is dual core but it is AMD. (Heck, I may put in req for that one)

Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  07:51:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message
Second thought, It doesn't have the nVidia.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  10:01:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
May just end up getting the Toshiba M400...

It will do everything I need with one exception (high end games), but that isn't the primary purpose for getting it anyway.. hehe.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

skepticality
Skeptic Friend

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  10:33:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skepticality's Homepage Send skepticality a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

May just end up getting the Toshiba M400...

It will do everything I need with one exception (high end games), but that isn't the primary purpose for getting it anyway.. hehe.

I have one myself and seem to like it for me... Then again, I usually only use it for Excel and that type of stuff, I need to try running something more 'meaty' on it, especually since it has such a good video card! :|

Derek Colanduno
host - skepticality
http://www.skepticality.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  12:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I could get a laptop that would do everything I want... but I am geeked out on the tablet PC functionality. The main reason for getting it is school, heavy science classes where the ability to enter stuff into excel (and other programs) on the fly, with a pen, is usefull. (because I am typing impared... never could learn how to type, so I use the first two fingers on each hand and one thumb... takes me a while to type out anything)

Also usefull for keeping lab journals. Microsoft One Note is a neat utility.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  14:39:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

I could get a laptop that would do everything I want... but I am geeked out on the tablet PC functionality. The main reason for getting it is school, heavy science classes where the ability to enter stuff into excel (and other programs) on the fly, with a pen, is usefull. (because I am typing impared... never could learn how to type, so I use the first two fingers on each hand and one thumb... takes me a while to type out anything)

Also usefull for keeping lab journals. Microsoft One Note is a neat utility.

I have a regular laptop for a lot of stuff, but I use a tablet on occasion for some tasks. The pen input is fantastic for meetings or wandering around a site of some sort making notes and such. I'm currently using some of the industrial panasonic toughbooks, a bit over-priced and underpowered, but there's something about a laptop that keeps on ticking after you use it in the rain or drop onto a concrete floor from a meter which is just plain cool.

The keyboard is smaller than standard though, so writing any serious code is a real beeatch, but they make great uber-PDA's.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.