New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  14:01:22  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
They say if you take a raw egg and stand it on its end, right at the moment of the equinox, it will balance, standing upright. So today at 12:26 CST, the moment of the vernal equinox, I was ready with an egg, a witness, and my camera. As the moment approached I carefully set the egg on end on a smooth topped table. I steadied it a bit, then slowly drew my hand away. Lo and behold, there it was, a raw egg, balanced perfectly on its end on a smooth surface.

Okay, okay, the egg is actually balanced on its end, but the notion that it can only be done on the equinox is a myth. An egg generally has a slightly bumpy texture which assists in getting it to stay upright. With a bit of patience, and sometimes choosing a particularly bumpy egg, one can be made to balance any day of the year. It's an old myth, and even though it's been widely explained it seems likely to persist because of the slightly mysterious aspect.

The myth is exposed at the Bad Astronomy web site. Another article about this myth can be found in the Urban Legends section at About.com. And dozens more explanations can be found by Googling balance egg equinox. Enjoy!

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  14:23:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Wheb I was in school, we had a teacher demonstrate that one. Hadn't thought about it in years. Thanks!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

The Bad Astronomer
Skeptic Friend

137 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  16:08:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Bad Astronomer's Homepage Send The Bad Astronomer a Private Message
FWIW, I have two blog entries up about this; one involving a Playboy bunny, and the other is a video of me standing eggs up.

The Bad Astronomer
http://www.badastronomy.com
"With tremendous respect to [the] BA, the problem isn't getting scientists to talk, the problem can be getting them to shut up."
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  17:46:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
If you look at the shadows on the egg carton, they look to be at a slightly different angle than the shadow of the egg. Also, in the bottom right corner of the picture is a small symbol like shape on the table, obviously the marking of a prop that someone forgot to hide. The flash from the camera highlights can be seen in parts of the egg cartoon, but why not the egg? Also, you can see the start of the dark side of the egg, presumably where the flash didn't reach, and yet, it is in view of the camera!

Nice try, but this photo is so obviously a fake.

NASA BUFFOONS

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 03/28/2006 17:49:45
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  22:18:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Bad Astronomer

FWIW, I have two blog entries up about this; one involving a Playboy bunny, and the other is a video of me standing eggs up.

Awesome technique getting the eggs to stand like that...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.