Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  08:36:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

There was a Canadian comedy show called the Red Green in whch the title charachter built varius things using crude tools such as a chainsaw and plenty of duct tape. I don't know if it wsa ever shown outside canada, but I am sure it is available on DVD. It is a must for all duct tape enthusiasts. Red Green's motto was something like "If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy".

The actor who played Red Green was given the Order of Canada for his efforts in promoting duct tape awareness.

I have heard the duct tape was a wartime invention for sealing ammunition boxes. It became "duct tape" during the post war housing constuction boom when it was used on heating ducts.

At last! A Red Green reference! I was beginning to think that no one here ever watched class programing, what little there is...

It used to be shown on PBS, some years back. Unfortunately, it came on late enough that I had to tape it, and Red Green is where the title for the OP came from. It was a fun if low budget show, and I wish it was still around.

NASCAR pit crews use a lot of duct tape during races when the driver scuffs his race car and needs minor body repair. They also use it across portions of the radiator opening to help provide down force on the front end at high speeds. Sometimes they apply too much and the engine overheats, resulting in a panic pit stop to yank some off. Heh, it's a lot easier to put on than it is remove, and don't ever get any on your beard.....

The show is still going strong hear in Seattle on one of the local PBS stations. I catch it when I can get to sleep at a decent time. I might be wrong, but it looks like the show has gotten a slightly bigger buget since I have started watching it. Maybe your local station just doesn't have the latest session yet Filthy.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  09:23:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy...

At last! A Red Green reference! I was beginning to think that no one here ever watched class programing, what little there is...

It used to be shown on PBS, some years back. Unfortunately, it came on late enough that I had to tape it, and Red Green is where the title for the OP came from. It was a fun if low budget show, and I wish it was still around.
We still get The Red Green Show on PBS in my community. I don't know if it's still in production or if we're just getting re-run material, but I watch it occasionally and get a kick out of it. In fact just a week ago, during our local PBS's fund raising drive, they showed a movie, Red Green's Duct Tape Forever. The movie is a few years old now, from 2002. I wasn't aware of it until I stumbled upon it last week. It seems to be available on DVD through some Internet movie retailers, but I'm not sure if it can be found at any video rental stores.
quote Internet Movie Database:
Big-shot executive Robert Stiles' car is damaged when parked at the lodge. Stiles takes Red Green and the other lodge members to court, forcing them to come up with $10,000 in damages in ten days - or else lose their beloved Possum Lodge. Red and the boys embark on a road trip across the country, en route to a Duct Tape Festival in the USA, where they intend to win first prize by creating a sculpture made of at least 50% duct tape. Unfortunately, Stiles has bought off a crooked sheriff who intends to make the trip very difficult for Red.
The fictional contest features several amusing sculptures made mostly from duct tape, including a small scale Seattle Space Needle and the obligatory duct tape Mt. Rushmore. Several of the participating teams can be seen wearing various articles of clothing fashioned, at least in part, from the silver sticky handyman's panacea. It's a light hearted, silly melodrama starring all the Red Green regulars, and anyone who enjoys The Red Green Show will probably find it at least mildly entertaining. The tagline from the movie, "Friends STICK Together!"
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  10:29:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack
I don't know if it's still in production or if we're just getting re-run material, but I watch it occasionally and get a kick out of it. In fact just a week ago, during our local PBS's fund raising drive, they showed a movie, Red Green's Duct Tape Forever. The movie is a few years old now, from 2002. I wasn't aware of it until I stumbled upon it last week. It seems to be available on DVD through some Internet movie retailers, but I'm not sure if it can be found at any video rental stores

Sadly the show is no longer in production - "Red Green" decided to call it quits. I will have to rent the movie - i am sure they have it here.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  11:57:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

The towel isn't anywhere on that list, let alone at the #1 spot. Such blasphemy will not be accepted! We shall unleash the ravenous Bug-blatter Beast of Trall upon Forbes! Since they have obviously no towels as they are not important enough, they won't be able to wrap it around there eyes, making the Bug-blatter Beast think that it can't see them.

(On another note, I've recently discovered that my mp3 players can also store my HHGG mp3's, and thus, have been listening to it all week.)

It is assumed that a fard knows where his towel is before he starts duct taping! Otherwise, he is likely to not be intelligent enough to peel the wrapper off the roll.

Unfortunately, our local station doesn't show it. I will have to see if I can find the movie. Amazon might have it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  12:51:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yup, Amazon seems to have the whole shitteree. As soon as my money's right, I'll start the collection as I have done with many PBS comedies, notably the British ones (most American sitcoms that I have seen aren't worth the juice it takes to run the toob).

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  15:08:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Don't miss the Duct Tape Fashion Pages.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.