Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  08:05:45  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
But the bigger question is why was it law to begin with and do we really need to be protected from these items.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11701658/#060321a

(edited to update link to a more permanent reference. Thanks Dr. Mabuse for pointing it out.)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion

Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 03/27/2006 06:21:51

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  08:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

But the bigger question is why was it law to begin with and do we really need to be protected from these items.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6308419/

Heh, they might start thinking that they'll make the community still safer if they outlawed hands and tongues as well.

Why do we, in all states, continue to elect such numbfucks as these?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  11:31:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Don't they have anything better to do?
Protecting the public health or something?
Can't they be indicted for dereliction of duty?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  12:37:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
America: Home of the Hang-Up, Land of the Repressed:

The Rude Pundit knows all, sees all, tells all.
quote:
For, indeed, the joys of sex are under attack in a concerted effort to deny you the right to fuck yourself or anyone else unless you're at least tryin' to make a baby, motherfucker. Take Mississippi, where the Supreme Court there upheld a law that bans the sale of "sex toys." Or, to really fuck up your wet dream, here's part of the text of the law: "A person commits the offense of distributing unlawful sexual devices when he knowingly sells, advertises, publishes or exhibits to any person any three-dimensional device designed or marketed as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs, or offers to do so, or possesses such devices with the intent to do so." So Caddy Compson, for instance, could own a mini-rabbit that, perhaps, Quentin could control with a remote, but she couldn't offer to sell one to Dilsey. And let's not even discuss the Jenna Jameson latex doll with grinding pussy action.

I have always found Mississippi to be a pleasant state, although it is starting to appear that it might be not so pleasant for those who live there.

The inevitable backlash is coming. It always does....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  13:05:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I be we could sell a bunch of two-dimensional vibrators. (this statement not approved by the FDA)

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  14:13:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Thank the deuce this is in Mississippi, and not Alabama. I often wonder why inane legislation usually doesn't happen here, but then I remember how inept the Alabama legislature is and how obsolete the Constitution is.

Could one argue that all sex toys are, in fact, 4 dimensional since they require time to work?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  15:00:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

I be we could sell a bunch of two-dimensional vibrators. (this statement not approved by the FDA)

You can't actually manufacture anything useful in 2 dimensions. If it was infinitely thin in one physical dimension, you'd end up slicing bits off and/or bleeding to death. There's bound to be someone who finds paper cuts and such sexually stimulating, but I don't think 2D sex aids are going to make you rich anytime soon.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  15:06:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Thank the deuce this is in Mississippi, and not Alabama. I often wonder why inane legislation usually doesn't happen here, but then I remember how inept the Alabama legislature is and how obsolete the Constitution is.

Could one argue that all sex toys are, in fact, 4 dimensional since they require time to work?

No. By all means go further. enlighten the state that according to string theory, all of the matter in the universe, and therefore these sex toys, are 11 dimensional. Stick that up your (insert joke here) and smoke it!!

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  15:13:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

You can't actually manufacture anything useful in 2 dimensions. If it was infinitely thin in one physical dimension, you'd end up slicing bits off and/or bleeding to death. There's bound to be someone who finds paper cuts and such sexually stimulating, but I don't think 2D sex aids are going to make you rich anytime soon.

Nonsense! as long as the... erm... device is hollow, and the shell is two dimensional, (blow-up doll anyone?) than one could argue that the toy is simply 2-D in 3-D space.

who would have thought... Brian Greene allows me to think of loopholes in sex laws.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  16:11:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
I don't think 2D sex aids are going to make you rich anytime soon.

Oh, thee of little faith in gullibility.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  17:00:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
A G.W. Bush dildo ought to do the trick. He's about as two dimensional as you can get and still be able to use a larynx.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  17:43:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
If it was infinitely thin in one physical dimension,

Meaning that it doesn't actually exist in that dimension, and therefore would pass right through you.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  17:44:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

The inevitable backlash is coming. It always does....

I predict an increase of sales of the Harry Potter Broom-Stick:

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  19:48:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Why is this even an issue? Most people masturbate. It doesn't hurt anyone. It doesn't decrease ability to produce children. And best of all, it is fun!

The most contemporary Christian-based argument against masturbation I've heard was from a campus preacher who said that masturbation was wrong because coveting sex with someone other than one's spouse is wrong, and people have such fantasies when they masturbate. So then I asked if it was OK to masturbate while fantasizing about my husband. He said there was no point in that because I could just have real sex with my husband. (in other words, he avoiding the issue.) So then I said "What if he's out of town for a few months, or just not in the mood?" Then he basically called me impatient and changed the subject. Of course that was the most thoughtful of all the preachers I've encountered who have condemned masturbation. Most just yell about how it is dirty and disgusting or quote the Bible, and don't really give any explanation as to why it is wrong.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  21:19:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Nonsense! as long as the... erm... device is hollow, and the shell is two dimensional, (blow-up doll anyone?) than one could argue that the toy is simply 2-D in 3-D space.

Once you can make a blow-up doll with an infinitely small thickness of material, you'll be in business.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  23:55:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
Once you can make a blow-up doll with an infinitely small thickness of material, you'll be in business.

And be environmentally conscious at the same time by conserving nonrenewable resources.

Don't these wowsers have anything better to do - like arresting drunks in bars.

Anybody in Mississippi getting mail from this Canadian town will be in trouble.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Edited by - Ghost_Skeptic on 03/25/2006 01:58:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.