Daniel Dennett's new book, wonderful ideas
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  02:56:55  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I heard Daniel Dennett speak on CSPAN today about his latest book, "Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon". I can't wait to read it.

Here's the most fascinating idea. If you recall a short while ago there was an article about a mind controlling parasite? An ant parasite was mentioned that causes the ant to climb on grass blades which then are eaten by cows which benefits the parasite. The same thing happens with toxoplasmosis in mice in that it causes them to lose their aversion to cat odors thus being more likely to be eaten by a cat which again benefits the parasite.

So in biology, here were two examples where the organisms did not act in their own best interest, but rather in the best interest of propagating the parasite. Suppose you look at an idea in the same way. It infects the person and causes them to act in the best interest of promoting the idea and not in the best interest of one's self. In fact, people even die for the idea, willingly. He thinks we really should look at why that happened in those cases.

Dennett claimed to offer no answers but urged scientists to study the phenomenon and not shy away from it. It affects everyone in a very big way. We should be studying the phenomenon of how religion propagates itself. Dennett suggested religions start by the hundreds every day. Most don't last or even reach a level of recognition. But the main religions on the planet arose in historical times. For whatever reason, several religions developed into worldwide entities.

When I read the book I'll bump the thread. It was a wonderful talk. If you happen to catch a rerun on CSPAN I highly recommend it.

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  14:32:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Interesting...

Makes religion sound like a virus to me.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  16:13:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
It's only that viruses also infect people. The analogy stops there. Dennett made a point of only using the parasite examples for the idea and no more.

He gives an interesting history of modern religion. The major religions on the planet are only a few thousand years old. So what happens that makes a religion grow like they do? We've seen Mormonism and Scientology grow in recent history. We all know sort of how old the Judeo-Christian-Islamic religions are. Hinduism was the other big one. Dennett showed a satellite picture of the gathering of people to wash in the Ganges. There were so many people there you could see it from space. Granted we can see one person from space with current technology but the image was still impressive.

Watching those Muslim men chanting in the streets on TV day after day for various reasons makes you wonder what mind numbing brainwashing has to go on to create such mindless activities.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  16:26:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

Interesting...

And that makes it sound like a meme. Which to some extent it is.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  18:18:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

quote:

Interesting...

I posted this in the chat thread last week as I couldn't post the link in the chat client. (Problem now fixed with by updating my Java RE from 1.4x to 1.5x).

For those that haven't read it, you can read Richard Dawkins' "Viruses of the Mind" here. In it he develops the concept of the mind virus as applicable to the spread of religion. Note there's a quote from Daniel Dennett at the introduction.

I originally read it in the collection "The Devil's Chaplain", which I strongly recommend.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  19:04:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Dennet is indeed interesting. I recently saw him speak at TAM4,
and I am intrigued by the idea of studying religion as one would a natural phenomenon. Using the tools of science. We included his book in our suggested reading in the Skeptic Summary #79
a few weeks back. He was also featured on a Point of Inquiry pod cast
which I also recommended as an Evil Pick a couple of weeks ago. It is still available for download.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  02:12:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

quote:

Interesting...

Memes are definitely part of the picture. The term is very appropriate in this case, and Dennett used the term in his description of his ideas.

I tried to search for other threads on this before posting but none came up. Thanks for the links. I will check them out.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/28/2006 02:14:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.