Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  11:47:36  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I don't believe that even the vile piece of human garbage currently befouling the White House could be this stupid!
quote:
Saturday, April 08, 2006

Seymour Hersh: Bush already decided on war against Iran, thinking of using nukes
by John in DC - 4/08/2006 12:15:00 PM

I don't even know where to begin with this. The story is from the New Yorker's Seymour Hersh, who unfortunately gets his stories right.

Bush is planning to attack Iran with a massive massive attack. He's afraid Iran is developing nukes, so the idea is to launch a devastating attack against Iran so that - get this - the Iranians rise up against their own government. Sound familiar?

From the New Yorker:
One former defense official, who still deals with sensitive issues for the Bush Administration, told me that the military planning was premised on a belief that “a sustained bombing campaign in Iran will humiliate the religious leadership and lead the public to rise up and overthrow the government.” He added, “I was shocked when I heard it, and asked myself, ‘What are they smoking?' ”

What indeed?

I want these criminal motherfuckers with their delusions of majesty gone. I want them in the dock at the Haig explaining themselves, and why they shouldn't be hanged for war crimes. Right now is not soon enough!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  13:46:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I don't believe that even the vile piece of human garbage currently befouling the White House could be this stupid!

I want these criminal motherfuckers with their delusions of majesty gone. I want them in the dock at the Haig explaining themselves, and why they shouldn't be hanged for war crimes. Right now is not soon enough!

Though I don't have high regards for the ###### ####### ####### in charge of your country, the little skeptic hiding behind massive ammounts of cynicism inside my head says that nukes cannot be seriously considered.
It would alienate the entire world. (However redundant that may be)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  14:12:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I can't get over how ass-backwards this whole approach to fighting terrorism is. Terrorism comes out of violence, poverty, and resentment over historical events of the past. This past Wednesday Terry Gross interviewed Stephen Kinzer, a journalist who just wrote the book Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq and Kinzer talked about resentment in South America (to just name one place) where there is a deep resentment against the United States for past dealings. (Listen to interview online here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5325069) We all know such resentment thrives in the Middle East, and by attacking Iraw we only fed that fire. The solution is diplomatic relations and open trade leading to cultural exchange and economic dependence, not more f*cking bombs!

But then, our leaders aren't interested in world peace. They're interested in oil and maintaining their own power and status.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 04/08/2006 14:13:02
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  16:16:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox
The solution is diplomatic relations and open trade leading to cultural exchange and economic dependence, not more f*cking bombs!
Emphasis mine. Dependence? Surely this is a typo...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  17:03:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
I don't blame folks for thinking I'm a total geek for pointing out that more and more this administration also reminds me of an episode from Star Trek - The Next Generation (which I wasn't that devoted too.*) In the episode titled "Allegiance" Capt. Picard is replaced by an alien double who is testing the crew's response to leadership by giving progressively irrational orders, finally taking the ship into orbit around a Pulsar that is emitting deadly radiation. In the episode, the aliens are found out by first officer Riker, and though risking a charge of mutiny, the crew stands with Riker. The aliens are restrained in a force field.

Back to our world: Can we make it to the next election? Will Diebold still run the voting machines?

* I'm a Babylon 5 fan. (Now you know I'm a geek.)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  18:48:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Dr. Mabuse wrote:
quote:
Yeah, I meant interdependence. In other words, trading so that both countries benefit from healthy relations.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  19:04:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Dr. Mabuse wrote:
quote:
Yeah, I meant interdependence. In other words, trading so that both countries benefit from healthy relations.

Won't work, Marf. You can't walk around with stuffed codpiece and brag about being a war president if you do that. There's little glory and a bored press if you merely show good sense.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  21:12:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
filthy's got it. Bush is probably having a late mid-life crisis and operating under the old teenage motto of "pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  23:33:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

filthy's got it. Bush is probably having a late mid-life crisis and operating under the old teenage motto of "pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars."

What pain? What scars? The pain and scars will be someone else's. The cowardly hypocrite avoided combat during the Vietnam war by training in an obsolete aircraft in the National Guard. He reminds me of John Fogerty's song "Fortunate One" -
quote:
Some folks are born with star spangled eyes
They'll send you down to war y'all
And when the band plays hail to the chief
They point the cannon strait at you

However I think you're right Filthy - He has to prove he is a "real man" by launching another war (or maybe he was talking to god again).

It looks like this time he will try to avoid the negative impact of American casualties by waging an air war. This will be about as effective as it was in Vietnam, but it will do a great job of killing Iranian civilians and inflaming the Islamic world. Even though deep penetrating nukes aren't equivalent to Hiroshama, the Islamic hotheads are not going to make the distinction. I can see fundamentalists seizing power in Pakistan whch would give them control of nuclear weapons. The Arrogant Worms will be proven right.

One can only hope that this is a bluff - part of a good cop bad cap routine with America as the bad cop and the EU/UN as the good cops.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  23:54:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I am sorry to point out I've never heard a President talk more about his "legacy" than talk about current events as Bush does. In fact, do you recall ever hearing the President's legacy discussed in public as if it mattered more than the reality of today than with this bunch? These dimwits still can't believe what screw ups they are. They are in denial claiming history will vindicate them.

If the Democrats and the rest of Congress don't make it very public and very loud that we should not even think about bombing Iran at this point in time then we are doomed to be the pawns of fools who think they can wipe out a reactor like Israel did to Saddam years back without major consequences. As if the whole Arab world isn't going to see this as "the war".
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  00:33:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
WHile I would say that there might come a time when force should be used against Iran...

We are nowhere even remotely near to that point, and we can avoid it entirely if we but try.

To bad it seems like the asshole in chief can't think his way out of a wet paper bag, so the only answer must be to bomb something.

But you know what? I don't blame Bush for this. I blame the peabrained assholes who voted him into office. All the people here in my country who don't give a fuck what the politician's real agenda is as long as they are sure he-or-she hates homosexuals, stem cell research, and abortion.

You people are the true enemy.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  01:24:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:

But then, our leaders aren't interested in world peace. They're interested in oil and maintaining their own power and status.

I don't see what oil has to do with this. The antics of the Bush administration have not done much to increase the supply of oil - quite the contrary as indicated by the price of that commodity. Maybe they are doing their part to reduce greenhouse gases by shutting down middle east oil production entirely due to a region wide war.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  01:24:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Agreein' with Dude -- as the first line of my signature points out.

On a legacy-related matter:
quote:
Bush's popularity has been dropping from the day he was elected
by John in DC - 4/08/2006 04:18:00 PM

Something I've been noticing for a while, but I haven't seen mentioned much, is that Bush's popularity has been steadily dropping from the day he got elected. Every day he's been president is another day the American people like George Bush less and less.

That's a rather telling fact.
It continues with graphs & shit that anyone who's been paying attention already knew about. But it's good to see a little (more) confirmation, anyway.

This past weekend, Bush seemed to be backpeddling a bit on nuking Iran. I now sort of wonder if the previous story wasn't finessed into the media to sort of "test the waters," as it were. If so, I rather doubt that the reaction to it was very encouraging.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/10/2006 01:34:18
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  09:46:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
An interview with Investigative reporter Seymour Hersh on CNN - here are my edited picks from it...

quote:
BLITZER: ...So what's your bottom line? Do you believe, based on the reporting you did for this article, that the president of the United States is now aggressively plotting military action, a pre-emptive strike against Iran?

HERSH: The word I hear is "messianic." [Bush] thinks, as I wrote, that he's the only one now who will have the courage to do it. He's politically free. I don't think he's overwhelmingly concerned about the '06 elections, congressional elections. I think he really thinks he has a chance, and this is going to be his mission.

BLITZER: So your sources have concluded basically that the diplomatic option as it's going forward is not necessarily going to work?

HERSH: That's the fear. The fear is that we're back to the pre-Iraqi invasion game when we went through the U.N. exercise. The fear is that the White House, there's some people in the White House who aren't really, no matter what happens diplomatically, they don't believe Iran's going to give up its ambitions.

I can't tell you. Nobody can say what's going to happen in the future. But I can just tell you there are people in the Pentagon and people, our allies, the allies involved with us diplomatically, the French, the Germans and the Brits, who don't really know what the president is thinking.

That doesn't mean it's going to happen. They refuse to take [nukes] out. And what I'm writing here is that if this isn't removed -- and I say this very seriously. I've been around this town for 40 years -- some senior officers are prepared to resign. They're that upset about the fact that this plan is kept in. Again, let me make the point, you're giving a range of options early in the planning. To be sure of getting rid of it, you give that option.

BLITZER:Bottom line, what you're saying here is that there are American forces, clandestinely, already inside of Iran.

HERSH: That's what I'm saying.

Someone hold me..

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 04/10/2006 09:51:19
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  13:41:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

I don't see what oil has to do with this. The antics of the Bush administration have not done much to increase the supply of oil - quite the contrary as indicated by the price of that commodity. ...

Just because they failed miserably doesn't change their original motives.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  18:45:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Seymour Hersh was interviewed by Terry Gross today on Fresh Air. Excellent half hour interview. He says some stuff that isn't in his article. Well worth checking out. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5338549

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.