Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  19:38:47  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
On Tuesday, April 11th, 2006, in the early morning hours here in the U.S., the SFN's Internet Service Provider is going to be moving our Web site to a new server. They tell us that this will necessitate changing our Web site's IP address, so the change may take some time to "percolate" through the Internet's Name Servers. Though our ISP isn't saying so, I imagine this sort of switch may involve the standard "up to 48 hours" for the IP address changes to go through to most name servers worldwide.

In other words, if the SFN vanishes on Tuesday morning (US time), then keep trying. If you're still having problems after Thursday morning, send an email to atomic@skepticfriends.org and/or davew@skepticfriends.org and we'll see if we can help. (Note those email addresses now, just in case.)

Allow us, the staff of the SFN, to apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you, our members.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  19:46:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Two days without the SFN?!? What the hell am I suppose to waste my free time on now? I guess I haven't gotten around to memorizing the ascii table like I've been meaning to...

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  20:47:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
What are the chances of an opt-in email notification of the new IP address once it is known?

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  21:35:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
John, if all you do is go to www.skepticfriends.org to get here, then you shouldn't need to know the IP address unless your DNS servers are slow to get the new IP address themselves. But if you, like me, start twitching from withdrawal if you don't get to see the SFN pages every 15 minutes or so, I'd suggest sending an email to @tomic (at his email addy previously posted) and beg him to send you the IP as soon as he knows it.

By the way, on a personal note, every time I've set up a new IP address, the DNS servers I go through have figured it out in just a few hours. The 48-hour figure is typically cited as "worst case."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  22:25:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
This should be seamless folks. That is, no one should even notice the change unless they habitually ping domains. I only sent Dave & David an email as a heads up in case something goes wrong as happened with one site I worked on recently. Only that was a mistake by the hosting company that we had fixed as soon as the company was told to get on it.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  23:46:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Message duly noted. No worries, mates.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  06:58:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
That is, no one should even notice the change unless they habitually ping domains.

Like most sites, it seems that the SFN refuses pings.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  09:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Well now this is weird. I pinged the sfn from my home computer, and I got no response. Then I pinged it from a computer in my cs lab:

quote:

Pinging www.skepticfriends.org [216.119.101.244] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.119.101.244: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=104
Reply from 216.119.101.244: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=104

Ping statistics for 216.119.101.244:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 82ms, Maximum = 83ms, Average = 82ms

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  15:47:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Maybe your home firewall is blocking it?

@

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  17:22:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Well now this is weird. I pinged the sfn from my home computer, and I got no response. Then I pinged it from a computer in my cs lab:

As you say, ping's aren't always responded to, although SFN does respond from my current location. Maybe a trace route would be more informative, it has the added bonus of telling you what your DNS servers currently believe the domain should be resolved to. If it's still the old IP address after the change, you know there are update issues.

Here's mine as it stands pre-change.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Somewhere :)
2 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms Somewhere else ;)
3 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms riv1-pos4-7.gw.optusnet.com.au [198.142.192.81]
4 15 ms 8 ms 9 ms mas1-ge10-1.gw.optusnet.com.au [211.29.129.185]
5 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms mas3-ge9.gw.optusnet.com.au [211.29.129.210]
6 164 ms 166 ms 248 ms 203.208.148.157
7 164 ms 203 ms 164 ms ge-0-3-0.plapx-ar1.ix.singtel.com [203.208.168.122]
8 164 ms 163 ms 163 ms pax-brdr-02.inet.qwest.net [205.171.1.1]
9 163 ms 163 ms 163 ms svl-core-02.inet.qwest.net [205.171.205.29]
10 198 ms 183 ms 184 ms tmp-core-01.inet.qwest.net [67.14.1.146]
11 185 ms 186 ms 186 ms phv-edge-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.129.86]
12 207 ms 185 ms 185 ms 67.131.24.222
13 186 ms 184 ms 185 ms sf-shared-extgate.crystaltech.com [216.119.107.1]
14 185 ms 186 ms 188 ms www.skepticfriends.org [216.119.101.244]

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  18:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Unless my ISP is blocking it, I have no firewalls.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  21:42:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Not even a router, Ricky?

On another note, I'd like to apologize for maybe being a bit too worried about what might happen later on this morning. That is, of course, if you all get to see this messag)*W&OWg9yhdUGIU&WT(&^@&F@&^R@Q*ER
@*)(!&_)#

LOST CARRIER

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  07:07:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
All Clear! So far everything seems to be working fine...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  07:17:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Nope, not even a router.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  23:05:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Permissions will have changed so there will be some backend issues relating to file uploads. The move is complete, though. I hope we gain some performance from this.

@

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  23:25:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by @tomic

Permissions will have changed so there will be some backend issues relating to file uploads. The move is complete, though. I hope we gain some performance from this.

@

Congrats, guys. What I'm sure was a big ordeal for you all seemed seemless to me, and that's about the best compliment I can think to give.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.