Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  13:28:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

And the difference between cloning for procreation and medical purposes is what exactly? We allow infertile couples to use artificial insemination and there was a big hullabaloo about that at first. People fear it because it's new and there have been all kinds of scary things written about it. I don't see any problem with it myself and don't see why there should be legislation against it.
@tomic

I thought, I guess mistakenly, that the people we elect are supposed to be educated. Guess they haven't studied much history, they seem to be 'condemmed to relive it' Sigh!
People were afraid of electrictly too.

Rap Crap is to music what Paint by Numbers is to art.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  13:32:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Though this thread is about Bush in particular, let's not forget that his opinion seems to be the majority view of just about every major world government. They're all clamoring to outlaw it.

I don't think that's exactly correct. Didn't England for one, make some compromises? Not all their lawmakers were against it, from what I heard, which is some hope.

Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  13:34:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
A couple things to keep in mind:

Though they are sometimes referred to by the same word, the sort of cloning annnounced recently (let's call it "Dolly cloning") is not the same thing as the natural process of twin-making, or the cloning used to reproduce plants. In the latter, a single fertilized cell (or small number of adult cells) of one organism divide and grow into separate individuals. This requires either starting with an undifferentiated cell (twinning) or "despecializing" differentiated tissues (plant cloning). An artificial "twinning" technique was demonstrated for humans some years ago, with little fanfare or controversy.

"Dolly cloning" is different. The nuclear DNA of a fertilized egg is removed prior to the first mitosis, and is replaced with the DNA of an adult. This produces a different genetic makeup than that of the adult DNA donor, as the "Dolly clone" contains only the donor's nuclear DNA. The mitochondrial DNA is that of the egg's donor. (This could, in theory, be the same person, if we're going for a female clone.)

It is problematical for the "pro-life" people because they are committed to a "life begins at conception" model of personhood. Therefore, "Dolly cloning" involves killing a baby (the fertilized egg). Note: I do not subscribe to the above model. They have no wiggle room, either, because if you decide that a fertilized egg is not a person, where do you draw the line?

I don't think the comparison to in-vitro procedures is accurate either; that was (and is) much more similar to natural conception. Social attitudes may evolve along similar tracks, though.

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  13:37:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Actually, cloning in Nature is not all that uncommon. There are quite a few species of lizard, including some Whiptails in the U.S. (Cmenidopohorus) that are parthenogentic. All individuals of the species are female, laying fertil but unfertilized eggs. Perfectly natural.

Forgive my lack of knowledge about this subject, but isn't the process of creating identical twins natural cloning as well?????

YES. And that's not the only example of something that already IS, being destorted or misunderstood by government and religion.

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  13:48:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I don't think the comparison to in-vitro procedures is accurate either; that was (and is) much more similar to natural conception. Social attitudes may evolve along similar tracks, though.
-- Donnie B.

The main point there was, if I can speak for the poster, that new concepts (no pun intended) are many times viewed as fearful, whatever they are.
ps. sorry if that's not the post you are refering to.

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  15:02:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
You know, I really have no problem with Bush having an aversion (moral difficulty with) to cloning. However, his personal morality should only be the guide by which he measures things - not the rule that he hands down.

Now, if Bush has a problem with this - fine, however, he is the secular leader of this country and should make decisions based on what is best for the country. What is best for the country is not necessarily what HE thinks is best for the country.

I wish he'd learn that one little point - things might get better.

It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  15:50:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

It is problematical for the "pro-life" people because they are committed to a "life begins at conception" model of personhood. Therefore, "Dolly cloning" involves killing a baby (the fertilized egg). Note: I do not subscribe to the above model. They have no wiggle room, either, because if you decide that a fertilized egg is not a person, where do you draw the line?

I don't think this is true. As I understand it, the cloning vehicle is an unfertilized egg. Cloning scientists are able to chemically induce mitosis after insertion of the adult DNA. Essentially, the unfertilized ovum is tricked into behaving as a fertilized ovum.

quote:

Agreed.

There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to god! - Jake Blues
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  21:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Please forgive me, but I'm gonna go way off topic here.

Is this cloning procedure not yet another confermation of the Theory of Evolution? Perhaps a first, faltering step toward understanding the origin of life?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, they'd probably best to start a new thread.

Intersting, no?

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  05:52:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, (which is usual), but aren't stem cells on thier own incapable of developing into a viable living organism? Given this premise, plus the possiblity of using stem cells to possibly find new ways of treating so many terrible diseases, where the hell is the problem? Even if these little guys can help us learn how to build exact copies of ourselves, wouldn't that be great--If a part wears out, just get a new one? Maybe Heinlein was on to something.
As far as our executive is concerned, if the pharmaceutical and medical companies like stem cells, and give G.W. enough money to run for a second term, I'll bet he'd dump the religous right in a second. Well, at least push the research through real quiet like, so that the information doesn't get past the pulpit. It's all about money in the long run.

Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  14:41:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I don't think this is true. As I understand it, the cloning vehicle is an unfertilized egg. Cloning scientists are able to chemically induce mitosis after insertion of the adult DNA. Essentially, the unfertilized ovum is tricked into behaving as a fertilized ovum.

I won't argue the point, though I have not heard of the technique you've described. If you're right, it makes the issue a lot cloudier -- I don't see much reason for the opposition, unless it's a purely anti-"tampering-with-nature", 50's-bad-science-fiction-movie kind of irrationality.

Which is, pardon the pun, conceivable.

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  14:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
quote:

Please forgive me, but I'm gonna go way off topic here.

Is this cloning procedure not yet another confermation of the Theory of Evolution? Perhaps a first, faltering step toward understanding the origin of life?

I'm afraid I don't see the connection. Sure, cloning validates some of the basic concepts of microbiology, such as the idea that it's DNA that controls the development and overall form of an organism -- but that isn't in dispute, as far as I know.

I can't see how cloning says anything about either the fact or mechanism of evolution. It would work even if all species had been "created" rather than "evolved". Can you elaborate on how you think it provides evidence of evolution?

-- Donnie B.

Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  21:55:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
This isn't the link I was looking for, but I think has a fair summary of the cloning procedure: http://www.cnn.com/2001/COMMUNITY/11/27/kahn/index.html

All indications are that the clone vehicle is an unfertilized egg. Most of the DNA comes from the adult DNA donor, but apparently some (mitochondrial perhaps) is from the egg donor.

I find it ironic that one of the organizations, Clonaid I think, that actually wants to bring a cloned embryo to term, is a group of total religious wackos, the Raelians(sp?). They aren't a traditional religion in any sense, but I just think it's funny that the folks who want to do exactly what the fundamentalist Protestants fear so much is not made up of the 'godless heathens' that fundies are so quick to singularly associate with this research.

Adventure? Excitement? A Jedi craves not these things. - Silent Bob
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2001 :  01:06:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

I can't see how cloning says anything about either the fact or mechanism of evolution. It would work even if all species had been "created" rather than "evolved". Can you elaborate on how you think it provides evidence of evolution?

-- Donnie B

Not much to elaborate on, really. Just a stray thought.

f

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2001 :  04:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
And now, it becomes amusing, in a sick sort of way:

http://news.excite.com/news/r/011127/08/odd-cult-dc

f

Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2001 :  10:15:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
PhD:

Very timely... last night, our favorite fundie Jerry Falwell appeared on "Politically Incorrect". I couldn't take more than a couple minutes of it, but guess what they were talking about.

You got it... cloning. And Falwell was making exactly the same argument that I made above: that creating a clone involved killing an embryo.

One of the other panel members (a black woman who I think is a congressman) said exactly what you did - that the cloning did not involve an embryo, just an egg cell that was induced to divide (she said "electrically and chemically") after the DNA insertion. She couldn't dredge up the term "unfertilized" but it was clear that's what she meant.

Falwell, of course, failed to grasp the concept and continued to insist that it was an "embryo". I reached for the remote...

Thanks for the information.

-- Donnie B.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.