Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  11:40:41  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Robert Jensen, atheist, has joined a Christian church. Should we try him for treason?

http://www.counterpunch.org/jensen03072006.html

There's a response from the church involved, I'll see if I can find that.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  11:43:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Here's the church's reply:

http://www.dissidentvoice.org/Mar06/Rigby28.htm

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  12:32:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
GET HIM!!!! He's trying to eat the cake as well!

Probably doing it to get laid.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  13:06:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Men go to church to get laid, but what do they get when they join a church?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  13:17:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
We are going to have to do an intervention and deprogramming on him.

I have the duck tape, anyone got a van?

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  15:01:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

That was a very interesting piece of writing.
Fanatical Christians are yelling that the Pastor of the church is a traitor too, who will certainly burn in hell from embracing an atheist.

But he does make a compelling argument, far from the frothing-in-the-mouth religious-right I mostly think of when hear about (American) Christians.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  18:49:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I think it's kind of funny that some nonbelievers have complained to Jensen about his joining that church. What, has he betrayed No-God? Here, thankfully, a sense of humor and proportion about the event seems to dwell. It'd be a damned shame if the public got the (I think false) impression that most atheists and agnostics were offended by a nonbeliever joining a church. If we were mostly like that, we'd be offended every time a cartoonist didn't draw a picture of No-God.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  19:05:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Always like the saying of "I'd go to church if it wasn't so goddamn religious".

Here's a church in Dallas for free thinkers...

http://www.acfnewsource.org/religion/atheist_church.html

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  19:21:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

If he is sincere, then I thought that it was a well written reply, a voice of reason.
quote:
Religion is not about groveling before a savior, it?s joining in the work of saving our world.

Saving the world from humans.

edited: Exposure to articles and thoughts like these is why I keep coming back.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 04/12/2006 19:22:55
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  19:32:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

edited: Exposure to articles and thoughts like these is why I keep coming back.

Oh, I thought it was the free parking.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  23:35:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Well, maybe he'll convert a few of them to atheism. Ever think of that?
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  00:20:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
Actually I think it's pretty positive. I don't think it would work for me personally, but overall it's a step in the right direction I say.

I have never really seen the need to draw battlelines between the religious and the non-religious. As an athiest myself I find it all to easy to focus on the lunatic fringe of religion but there are a lot of reasonable Christian congregations out there as well.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  05:07:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I was sort of on the edge of coming back to full-fledged skepticism/atheism a few years ago and thought very seriously about becoming a Quaker thanks to the Quakers on line.

I have no problem with religious people, most of them are the same as any other kind of people. I've attended UU churches to have the same kind of social interaction that Robert Jensen talks about. I don't see much that's positive, however, in the ideas that the mythical Jesus promotes in the poorly written novel called the Bible, nor do I see much that's positive in the need for a world that isn't real.

Dorothy Day rejected the Catholicism of her upbringing and came up with her own brand. People choose the religion that best suits their ideas about reality, or create their own. Had religion not been invented, they'd find some other (maybe better) way to express themselves.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  07:53:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I used to go to church with mom; I never believed, but enjoyed the trip. The people were very nice, too, when they weren't trying to evangelize me.

I'm thinking of going to a Buddhist temple, these days. I like Buddhism and I like oriental people, so there.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  09:50:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
So does he tithe?

10% seems a bit high for an atheist.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  10:44:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
He would be allowed to do anything at our church except teach or be a ministry leader. I think most protestant churches are like that. I am glad that he is attending church, I hope that the church is teaching the divinity of christ and why he died for us. (I wonder if he hates gays yet?)

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.