New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  23:44:11  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Note: This posting includes some liberal paraphrasing by me -- borderline plagiarism -- of an article at LiveScience by Ker Than, midway down the page at:

http://www.livescience.com/blogs/author/kerthan

It just gets more and more comically bizarre with the "Intelligent Design" evolution-denial crowd:

http://www.ibri.org/RRs/RR056/56angels.html

Charles Darwin had written a friend in 1860:

“I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidae with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of caterpillars.”

Ichneumonidae are wasps that paralyze caterpillars, then lay their eggs within the insects. Darwin, a Christian all his life, felt his God could not be responsible for creating a natural system containing such cruelty.

In "Rumors of Angels: Using ID to Detect Malevolent Spiritual Agents," Intelligent Design advocate Robert Newman, whose book, What's Darwin got to do with it? is promoted by the Discovery Institute's Website, now agrees with Darwin's statement. God didn't create these cruelties of nature. Demons did it.

Here is the abstract from Newman's paper:

"Most discussions of God's action in nature since about 1900 have ignored angelic activity, perhaps in reaction to White's History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom. Here we take another look at the biblical data on angels, and then consider what scientific data might be relevant in the light of recent interest in intelligent design.

I find this fascinating. First, the Scientific Creationism crowd gave us a Trickster God who changed the speed of light and the decay rate of radiocarbon just to test our faith. Now this, from an Intelligent Design advocate.

At least ID "science" finally has a practical use: It can now detect demons. It can make verifiable predictions, just like real science. What progress that camp of scientists have made! Perhaps they will soon make enough progress in Scientific Demonology that they will be able to hire themselves out to do exorcisms as well?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/14/2006 00:31:08

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  03:55:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
ID science has but one use: that of a stand-up routine on a late night, comedy show. Demons & angels, hah? Newman should go on Leno.

As ghastly as they are, ichneumons are a favotrite of mine. I've observed them drilling into seasoned elm -- pretty amazing!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  06:24:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
This is particularly confusing, since ID specifically states that they do not claim to know who the designer is-- indeed, according to this document, published by the Discovery Institute,
quote:
The theory of intelligent design isn't based on religious presuppositions but simply argues that an intelligent cause is the best explanation for certain features of the natural world.
Thus, discussions of supernatural (and decidedly Judeo-Christian) creatures such as malicious demons seems counter to what ID is all about.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  07:59:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
That might be the dumbest thing I've heard this year. Sounds like something Bill would believe, especially with the Darwin quote.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  13:18:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Cuneiformist scribed:
quote:
This is particularly confusing, since ID specifically states that they do not claim to know who the designer is-- indeed, according to this document, published by the Discovery Institute,

quote:The theory of intelligent design isn't based on religious presuppositions but simply argues that an intelligent cause is the best explanation for certain features of the natural world.

Thus, discussions of supernatural (and decidedly Judeo-Christian) creatures such as malicious demons seems counter to what ID is all about.
Well, I think it's like this:

ID has a public face, with a "scientific" public ideology to go with it. But it also has a secret inner sanctum, where its initiates exchange complex handshakes, let down their lab-coat hoods, and discuss dark hermetic mysteries for which the great unwashed public is not yet ready. Newman's scientific paper on demonology was not intended to be associated with the public face of Intelligent Design, and indeed was published on a religious site. It speaks to the real thoughts and motivations of ID science, not the usual pablum they think we secular sinners are ready for. The paper provides a rare glimpse into the secret ideology of ID, which is a mystical Biblical Creationism.

We never would have guessed. They sure had us fooled, didn't they?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/14/2006 13:46:37
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  13:40:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Pleco, I just read the second quote in your signature (and it feels relevant somehow, to this thread).

quote:
"In a recent poll it was shown that 66% of americans feel President Bush is doing a poor job managing the war in Iraq. The other 34% of Americans believe Adam and Eve rode dinosaurs to church." - SNL Weekend Update

Brilliant!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 04/14/2006 13:41:47
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  14:06:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Pleco, I just read the second quote in your signature (and it feels relevant somehow, to this thread).

quote:
"In a recent poll it was shown that 66% of americans feel President Bush is doing a poor job managing the war in Iraq. The other 34% of Americans believe Adam and Eve rode dinosaurs to church." - SNL Weekend Update

Brilliant!

And somehow, even as a joke, I have the sinking suspicion that the 34% number is probably true.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  14:51:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Eureka! I've found it! I hate to do the Creationists' work for them, but I've figured out what their next claim must be:

The fossil record, radiocarbon dating data, astronomical observations indicating an ancient universe, biochemical evidence that supports the ToE, etc. are not the work of a Trickster God after all. These are all examples of false evidence planeted by Newman's Demon, who, serving his master Satan, is attempting to discredit God's Creation!

You read it here first.

It all makes such perfect sense to me now. So many demons, so little (6,000 years) time . . .

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/14/2006 15:02:31
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  15:23:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Well, I think that Satan actually wrote the entire Bible (using humans that he "possessed") in order to blind people from how God really works, and has done a pretty good job at fooling people. And people today who believe in the literal wording of the bible are, in fact, in league with Lucifer. Satan is the ultimate liar, by definition, and would definitely be capable of such a thing. And also Satan can manipulate humans and physical objects, which means that the warm-fuzzies people get when praying is actually Satan manipulating the brain chemistries to produce this affect. And, to top it off, every once in a while Satan will fullfill a prayer, just to help perpetuate the lie.

Prove me wrong.

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 04/14/2006 15:25:26
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  16:06:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
pleco demanded: "Prove me wrong."

I can't. It's certainly an evil book in many, many ways, though.

In a debate where the opposition sets the standard of scientific debate by literally invoking demons, anything may possible, including a scripture possibly penned by the Evil One.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.