Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  04:21:18  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  04:21:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Happy Everyday!

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  04:52:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

Happy Everyday!

Oh come now, friend Gorgo. Surely you have a neat bunny picture to show us. 'Tis the season, you know.

I think I'll run it as a contest, with a fabulous prize for the winner. Show us what ya got!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  04:57:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 04/16/2006 04:58:08
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  08:10:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
A couple years ago I was taking wild flower photos in some backwater areas along the Illinois River here in central Illinois. I saw this Eastern Cottontail (Sylvilagus floridanus) approach the edge of a runoff from a beaver dam, and I thought he was about to take a drink.

But he didn't stop at the water's edge like I expected. He just kept on walking, waded right into several inches of water. He continued on across twenty or thirty yards of shallow flooded area, then dashed off into the woods on the other side.

I've been a wildlife enthusiast all my life, and I've seen these cottontails thousands of times. I knew they were common in wetlands and swampy areas, and I've heard they will swim when absolutely necessary, but apparently they aren't too keen on getting wet. I enjoyed the opportunity to watch this little guy wading across a patch of water because I had never seen such a thing before.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  08:22:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
We've got a few of those around here, GeeMack. I mean, living amongst the houses here. We call 'em the "neighborhood bunnies." Just yesterday I looked off my deck and spotted one just a few yards from me (laterally), it was just laying in the grass, so relaxed it had its back legs stretched out behind it. A few minutes later, it hopped up, ate a dandelion, and wandered off.

Unfortunately, my camera's zoom is pretty pathetic. I never would have gotten anything more than a brown fuzzball in a photo.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  08:50:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Pretty cool, Greg. Never saw such a thing either.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  09:25:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W....

We've got a few of those around here, GeeMack. I mean, living amongst the houses here. We call 'em the "neighborhood bunnies." Just yesterday I looked off my deck and spotted one just a few yards from me (laterally), it was just laying in the grass, so relaxed it had its back legs stretched out behind it. A few minutes later, it hopped up, ate a dandelion, and wandered off.
Millions of these Eastern Cottontails have adapted to living in all kinds of habitats, even in areas of dense human population. They can often appear very docile, almost tame, but of course they're quite wild. Like many wild animals, when they're young they have little fear of humans, even approaching closely, sometimes surprisingly so.

A few years ago a friend had a very young cottontail in his back yard which became quite accustomed to his daughters' attention. The rabbit would come around anytime the girls were outside, and didn't seem to mind if they played or sat near him in the yard. They would give him pieces of clover and other tasty green treats, and the rabbit would even take food right from their hands. But of course within a few weeks he figured out that people are people, and bunnies are bunnies, and off he went to be the wild animal he was born to be.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  09:43:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Killer Rabbit.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  11:09:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy...

I think I'll run it as a contest, with a fabulous prize for the winner. Show us what ya got!
Although Kil's Killer Rabbit comes from quite a long reach into the realms of TV/movie bunny trivia, Gorgo's Bunny comes from a lot longer ago, even if not further away.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  11:27:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
This holiday would be funnier if more people actually dressed up as bunnies...
Or dress up their kids...

Or even their pets.

Yup, it's Easter Sunday - a beautiful sunny day outside - and I'm doing nothin' but dickin' around on the computer. Ahhhh.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  11:31:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Argh! Spandex bunny! Why, god, why???

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  12:05:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

Rescued litter of cottontails (not mine).

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  12:15:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message

Harry Whittington used very bad timing in previewing
his Easter bunny suit a few months ago at a Texas ranch.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/16/2006 12:16:39
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  13:30:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The best shot I've been able to get of any of our neighborhood bunnies:

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  14:03:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

This holiday would be funnier if more people actually dressed up as bunnies...

You sure you're not a stunt double from "Christmas Story"?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.