New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  06:47:37  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
Remember the good ol days when Cronkite, Jennings, and Brokow were the only choices you had to be indoctrinated by.

CABLE NEWS RACE
MONDAY, APRIL 17, 2006
VIEWERS

FNC O'REILLY 2,424,000
FNC HANNITY/COLMES 1,861,000
FNC GRETA 1,743,000
FNC SHEP SMITH 1,568,000
FNC HUME 1,387,000
CNN KING 1,290,000
CNN DOBBS 885,000
CNN COOPER 770,000
CNNHN GRACE 707,000
CNN BLITZER 624,000
CNN ZAHN 571,000
MSNBC OLBERMANN 511,000
MSNBC SCARBOROUGH 401,000
MSNBC HARDBALL 384,000
MSNBC TUCKER 309,000

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  06:58:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
It all comes from the same sources...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  07:22:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I don't watch cable news. I feel that I am blessed....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  07:43:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I don't even have cable TV...

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  10:36:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Man Fox News is soooo biased its quite weird actually. Many of the programs have a balanced feel to them but it goes away when you compare the stories that each network reports on. Then of course you have the talking head opinion shows which are pretty much Rush level right.

My favorite was the daily show send up a month or so ago, FOX was parading nearly every comentator onto the air all of which were complaining about the leftist coverage of the 'Cheney shooting his friend and almost killing him story.'and how the media should grow up and start covering all the real news that actually matters to the public. The only other story covered on Fox later was the Entwhistle extradition. The guy who killed his wife and kid and flew to the UK. They showed the plane landing live, the transfer to the car and the helicopter coverage of the car driving from the airport and on and on...

Things like Iraqi civilian deaths are rarely if ever mentioned on FOX, not that CNN mentions it a lot but FOX avoids anything which is anti-right agenda for the most part. Not to mention there is so much make-up on those heads I swear they are covering up demon horns, its creepy they seem plasticised or something.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 04/19/2006 10:38:02
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  11:24:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Bill wrote:
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by filthy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't even have cable TV...
I second filthy's statement, and I, too, do not even have cable. What a waste of good money. :-P Why can't we be like Hong Kong and have a la carte cable? I just want Comedy Central and the SF channel!

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 04/19/2006 11:24:54
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  13:57:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I don't have cable, either, but I do have DirecTV. For reasons having to do with my blood pressure, I rarely watch Fox News. When I have, I have been astounded by the political bias, both overt and covert. They constantly apply a filter to the news that would make Orwell's Big Brother proud. By comparison, at least, the other cable new sources seem to handle the straight news much more objectively, and have a much wider political spectrum represented by their opinion commentators. Calling their news coverage "Fair and Balanced" is the most laughable thing Fox does.

No, I take that last statement back. Fox, though not their news department, has aired some of the funniest, sexiest, most cutting-edge entertainment material on TV, much of it in stark contrast to Fox News' biases. "The Simpsons" has even spoofed Rupert Murdoch by name. When it comes to fictional comedic and dramatic programs that haul in the huge audiences, Fox doesn't turn to its essentially dull-witted Neocon friends for material, but to some of the most brilliant people on the "other side." All for one good reason: Money. Much as Murdoch and Fox like to push their Neocon political agenda, they are economically astute enough to know what popular culture sells commercials and rakes in the big bucks.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/19/2006 15:19:33
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  19:26:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
I don't watch news unless you consider The Daily Show news.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  19:28:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
After the New York Times sourced the Daily Show in a story, the Daily Show became real fake news.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  20:13:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
I had cable for 14 years while in a f#$%ing apartment. I bought and moved into a house two months ago north of Austin. No time for craple TV with house to paint, tile to lay, fence to build.
After work, it's home with a quick nap with Oprah on lulling me to sleep!
FOX channel, what a oxymoron of TV entertainment....ultra right news balanced with giggles and jiggles breast sit-coms. Push those limits. Hmmm, they say...what can we do next year to top last year? That's the motor that drives the networks.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  20:16:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

I don't watch news unless you consider The Daily Show news.

yes yes I do.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  02:49:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
The Fox News motto: "fair and balanced," is silly. Real news reporting is not "fair" at all. Especially if reporting on something criminal. Factual is what real reporters strive for. Only propagandists try to be "fair". And "balanced" is also meaningless. Only propaganda is "balanced". Real news coming in from all directions is unbalanced and the truth will always offend someone. To hell with fairness. Fair to whom, the Nazis? Factual reporting beats "fair" every day of the week.

P.S.
I also like the Daily Show by the way!

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.