Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  06:23:38  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
http://www.metatech.org/ear_candles_alien_implants.html

Words fail me on this one.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  06:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

http://www.metatech.org/ear_candles_alien_implants.html

Words fail me on this one.

quote:
I have been doing ear canding on myself fairly frequently for about five years now. Over the years I have heard stories which made me wonder if there was more to ear candling than merely removing wax. For example, I heard of a health food store that got raided by government authorities and THE ONLY THING THEY CONFISCATED WAS EAR CANDLES. Plus, the guy at quackwatch.com really goes to a lot of trouble to put people off ear candling. (Don't worry about him - Tim Cohen is handling him, and may even send him to prison. For example, Tim is asking questions like "How can a man who earns a claimed $30,000-$50,000 a year sue over ten people in one year, which would have cost him a minimum of $1 million. Obviously, he is backed by big business). I heard that in Australia, the government is trying to ban ear candles. When I was in Australia, I had not even HEARD of ear candles.

And then, one day around August 2003, something happened which makes my skin crawl whenever I think of it. I was candling my ears. By this stage, I had probably used up about 50-80 candles in total on myself over five years. After candling, I always cut open the bit of ear candle that was left. Usually this is around 4" or a bit more long. Over the years, I have NEVER seen anything turn up other than the light coloured powder which is from the candle, and the dark brown stuff which was my ear wax. But this day was different.

On this day I saw a very strange object in the piece of candle which was left. It was probably a little over 1/4" long. It was greyish in colour and kind of opaque looking, kind of like a semi-clear plastic. It was oval in shape. It gave me the creeps. I called my husband Michael in to see it. He moved the candle around to see how it would move, and it moved kind of like a balloon full of liquid would move. He then pushed the end of a match into it. Here comes the really weird bit: This DID NOT burst the object. Instead, a small piece broke off and formed its own oval. And then it rejoined the original! IT ACTED JUST THE WAY MERCURY DOES.

I think that the object was her brain, even though it might sound a bit large for that sadly under-used organ.

From the Skeptic's Dictionary:

Ear Candlling:
quote:
Ear candling or coning is a method of cleaning the ears and the mind, which allegedly alleviates a host of physical, emotional and spiritual ailments. A hollow candle is stuck into the ear and lit, allegedly sucking out earwax and negative energy. The process is ineffective for earwax removal. I don't know how anyone knows whether it sucks out energy, positive or negative.

What wax appears in the cone is from the melted candle, not from the ears. The suction created by the coning flame is insufficient to remove wax, which, by the way, is good for you. It traps dust and dirt and helps fight infections.

Though some people fear that coning will leave them mindless, the only real dangers are from burning, infection, obstruction of the ear canal and perforation of the eardrum.

The origin of this unnatural practice has been given as ancient Tibet, China, India, Egypt, and pre-Columbian America. Even Atlantis is cited as a possible origin. In other words, we don't have a clue how this thing got started.

We also have no idea how far this will go, but Butt Candling could be the end. Another candle in the dark blown out by an ill wind?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  06:46:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
This has to be a joke, right?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  07:25:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Really, you have to be an idiot.....

...to run the risk of getting an ear with this sort an inflamation.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  07:26:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I regret to inform you, many humans are this stupid.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  12:57:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
There's a link to an even darker side of silly-ass quack practice in the body of the article linked above.
quote:
What I'm specifically looking for is enough evidence to motivate US Attorney General John Ashcroft to open an investigation into the quackbuster conspiracy, with all of the resulting criminal prosecutions that could engender. Simply, I want the quackbuster conspirators to die in a Federal prison, or on the end of a rope, for what they've done to Americans.
These, directed at one of my personal heroes, Dr. Stephen Barrett of the wonderful Quackwatch site, are especially vicious words. The quacks must really be feeling the pressure, if they are resorting to suggesting lynching the likes of the redoubtable Dr. Barrett.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  13:52:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Bolen's histrionics are well known, and all based upon the false premise that "alternative medicine" (as a whole) "works." From that rant against Barrett:
People who are restricted to "approved" medical offerings in North America simply suffer and die. Those that step outside of the current accepted paradigm - thrive. ... Studies show that Americans go elsewhere for their health care, to stay alive, and healthy. That's reality.
Does he offer a citation to even a single one of the "studies" he refers to? Of course not. There are no studies of every possible health practice "outside of the current accepted paradigm," since such would have to include eating glass to cure hangnails, or setting one's arm hair on fire to reduce flatulence. His claims are absurd and unsupportable, which is why he doesn't bother to support them.

(By the way, I once started receiving Bolen's newsletter via email. I think my email address wound up on the list as an act of revenge by someone who was pissed off by my arguments that there is, indeed, lots of money to be made in cures - contrary to Bolen's assertions.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  14:26:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Tim Bolen is Hulda Clarks bulldog...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  15:03:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
One thing that impressed me about Bolen's statements was his contention that, unlike alternative treatment, "conventional" medicine offer no cures, only "treatments." This comes, of course, from the fact that scientific medicine's practitioners are quite careful about their terms, while quacks themselves are very quick to claim "cures." For instance real medicine uses a five-year survival after cancer treatment as a benchmark for how well the treatment worked, and no "cure" is announced.

In 1984, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It was initially diagnosed as a being Stage Two, but was later upgraded to Stage Three, a much more serious matter. After I underwent a laparotomy and spenectomy, my oncologist recommended the "MOPP" treatment, a mix of four chemotheraputeic agents, two given by IV, the other two orally.

This is a pretty tough treatment to undergo (one of the components is a chemical derivative of mustard gas), but it was already a proven lifesaver for some forty years when I began treatment. Prior to the advent of MOPP, almost everyone with diagnosed Hodgkin's died of the disease. With MOPP, most survived. So I decided begin treatment.

My oncologist had warned me I'd be losing all my hair. When I mentioned this to my brother-in-law, he suggested that I take control and shave my head in advance. I did so, and bought an Indiana Jones-style fedora to wear outdoors. Immediately after my first chemo procedure, however, I had a heart minor attack, the only one I've ever had. This was suspected to have been caused by one of the chemo agents, a derivative of the Madagascar periwinkle. The oncologist switched me to another derivative of the same plant, one which causes less adverse reactions with the heart. Since the first derivative was the agent that was going to make me bald, I never lost my hair. But I've kept it either shaved or buzzed ever since, in memory of this time.

Anyway, Ramon, one of my best friends, was a very early "home computer" author and programmer. He helped me to get my first (and so far only) book (Taipan: A Historical Adventure for the Apple Computer) published. Ramon was a real nice fellow, someone who'd give you the shirt off his back. But Ramon was also a New Age guy, and would give medical advice accordingly. Ramon mentioned studies purporting to show that "visualization" of the body fighting off cancer through the use of a sort of meditation was effective in fighting cancer. At the time, I was aware of these studies, and believed they might be valid.

Since the visualizations cost nothing, were done privately, and could not hurt, I tried using them. I repeatedly visualized my white blood cells destroying my lymphatic tumors. Ramon went further, suggesting I not put myself through chemo, and use the visualization alone. But I did my homework, and found how much more deadly Hodgkin's had been before the advent of MOPP.

So I used MOPP and visualization. I lived, despite the dangerous advice of a dear and well-meaning friend. Today, I credit MOPP and medical science for my "cure." (I do hope that present-day treatment for Hodgkin's is more humane than what I went through.)

So you may see why quack nonsense is something I still feel compelled to attack when I see it.

[Edited for spelling errors, mainly to insert them.]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/20/2006 16:49:25
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  15:52:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I regret to inform you, many humans are this stupid.

I know these are just off the cuff comments, and I don't want to criticize too strongly because of that, but people who buy into this aren't any stupider than some of the people here who buy into any other kind of stupid shit. Very smart people are fooled by a lot of things, including all of you. Believing something stupid does not make you stupid and I think these forums often turn into what may seem to others as very arrogant displays, including displays from those of US who buy into some pretty stupid shit.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 04/20/2006 15:53:34
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  16:10:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Does he offer a citation to even a single one of the "studies" he refers to? Of course not. There are no studies of every possible health practice "outside of the current accepted paradigm," since such would have to include eating glass to cure hangnails, or setting one's arm hair on fire to reduce flatulence.

bwhahahahahahahaha!

and now the library ladies hate me. thanks.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  19:17:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
There are no studies of every possible health practice "outside of the current accepted paradigm," since such would have to include eating glass to cure hangnails, or setting one's arm hair on fire to reduce flatulence.

Why on earth would anyone want to reduce flatulence? You'd just swell up and explode!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  19:27:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
So you're saying, Gorgo, that everyone is that stupid?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  19:47:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

One thing that impressed me about Bolen's statements was his contention that, unlike alternative treatment, "conventional" medicine offer no cures, only "treatments." This comes, of course, from the fact that scientific medicine's practitioners are quite careful about their terms, while quacks themselves are very quick to claim "cures." For instance real medicine uses a five-year survival after cancer treatment as a benchmark for how well the treatment worked, and no "cure" is announced.
Yes, that's where the real distinction comes from, but Bolen wants people to believe that the healthcare industry in this country intends to keep people sick, because otherwise they can't afford their yachts and European vacations. Bolen's contention is that there aren't any cures for disease because cures are cheaper - less profitable - than long-term treatment.

I wrote an article about that years ago, with a focus on psoriasis. The conclusions in "The Economic Effects of a Psoriasis Cure," I believe, are scalable to any disease affecting any portion of the population. And the premises are still valid.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  20:06:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

quote:
There are no studies of every possible health practice "outside of the current accepted paradigm," since such would have to include eating glass to cure hangnails, or setting one's arm hair on fire to reduce flatulence.

Why on earth would anyone want to reduce flatulence? You'd just swell up and explode!

But if everyone "let's it go" all the time, it will cause runaway greenhouse effect!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 04/20/2006 20:07:58
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  20:16:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Wow, this woman is insanely hilarious, with heavy emphasis on "insane." Still, as skeptics we should be open-minded enough to examine whatever evidence she has to present as proof of her experience. For instance, where is this "alien implant" now?
quote:
We put it into a small glass jar, and it didn't break. Later on, it seemed to dry up and nothing was left.
Oh, what a pity. It's completely gone and left nothing. I guess matter can be destroyed after all. Time to rewrite those physics books. But luckily, she claims that one of her friends (who has "metaphysical abilities," whatever those are), also found implants in both of her ears! What are the odds? So, were those implants saved for study?
quote:
In both cases, she did not manage to save the implants - they got destroyed accidentally by such methods as dropping in the sink.
Ok, I lol'd at that one. But yes, it can be hard to keep from dropping off-world artifacts down the drain. Is her friend just clumsy? Or did the implants want to be destroyed? Perhaps some sort of protocol is order.
quote:
I have since found that the implants have some kind of holographic command "destroy us" which I believe begins to transmit if the implant is exposed to light. So if you do any ear candling, work out BEFORE hand what you will do if you find an implant.

And I think that's good advice for all of us to follow.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds.