Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  16:58:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Look at Clinton's record. More minorities in prison, wages decline, destruction of Yugoslavia, genocidal behavior in Iraq, NAFTA signed. That's just off the top of my head. Not much of a record on many of the other points.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  18:09:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Did the Clinton Democrats ever claim to be more accepting of Christ than his Republican counterparts?

Seems to me that this discussion isn't about which political party behaves worse, it's about which political party behaves more hypocritically.

By claiming to share the values of the religious right in order to get votes, the Republicans have set for themselves a rather high standard of behaviour, and are miserably failing to meet it. Have the Democrats recently done likewise?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  18:22:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
I fail to see any of these values expressed in the policies or actions of the current Republican-controlled govenment even though they claim to be the more "christian" political party.

You know, there are a number of Christians who express similar sentiments. Come to think of it, there's an increasing number of articles, columns, and blogs about Republicans who think that party has "abandoned traditional conservative values", and are saying so publicly.
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  18:24:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sts60

I didn't mean that all christians are conservatives. Rather, I feel the ones who are are poor christians.

Well, what about conservatives who are also poor and minority and deeply religious? (I laughed when I wrote this because we just saw The Ladykillers on rerun the other night.)
Or Christians who are just small-government conservatives but progressive in other areas?
Or evangelicals who believe care of the environment is a religious duty?
Or evangelicals who accept evolutionary theory (yes, they do exist)?

These people actually exist, y'know.

so, I'm kinda changing the subject, but when we look at conservatives and/or christians who are very different than the norm. I feel as though I should bring up that fact that I have a good friend who is a christian, republican, and homosexual. Cool guy.

Other than that, can we try to get this thread more skeptical by backing up our claims?
I'll start:more Catholics think torture is justified than the general public

I found that study kinda depressing altogether.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  18:36:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor
so, I'm kinda changing the subject, but when we look at conservatives and/or christians who are very different than the norm. I feel as though I should bring up that fact that I have a good friend who is a christian, republican, and homosexual. Cool guy.

Indeed. Actually you've perked my curiosity. What's his reasoning for being republican? I just find it odd is all.
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  19:25:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dv82matt

quote:

Indeed. Actually you've perked my curiosity. What's his reasoning for being republican? I just find it odd is all.

Odd it is. Although we don't talk about it much, (we have agreed to disagree) I think he is a fiscal republican. Ironicly I have brought people including the gay republican to this site to prove that people like Bill Scott exist

-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  19:47:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Odd it is. Although we don't talk about it much, (we have agreed to disagree) I think he is a fiscal republican. Ironicly I have brought people including the gay republican to this site to prove that people like Bill Scott exist

Bill Scott could be a bit of a reality check for some I guess. I wonder if it may just be what he's comfortable with, the devil he knows, so to speak. If you know, what does he think of Ann Coulter? I can't imagine he shares her agenda towards gays so how does he view her? An embarassment to the conservative movement perhaps.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  23:22:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
Given their complete fiscal irresponsibility as evidenced by huge deficits, I do not think the Bush adminstration could be called conservatives.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  00:00:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

Given their complete fiscal irresponsibility as evidenced by huge deficits, I do not think the Bush adminstration could be called conservatives.

Very good point. Something fiscal conservatives should consider before voting Republican.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  03:41:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
By claiming to share the values of the religious right in order to get votes, the Republicans have set for themselves a rather high standard of behaviour, and are miserably failing to meet it. Have the Democrats recently done likewise?

I think the Republicans have been more overtly anti-non-Christian, and anti-science, and anti- those things on Humbert's list, and the Repubs have probably been more of some of those things than others. But, the Democrats ran right with the others when the wars started(instead of spending money for AIDS, or money for science, etc.), ran right with the others when they said the Pledge on the Capitol steps, etc.

Hypocritical? When you belong to a party that's supposedly pro-labor and pro-minority, and you push something like NAFTA through, you watch wages decline for years, you watch minorites get locked up by the thousands. I suppose some could call that hypocritical.

With George Bush, you know where he stands. He makes no bones about despising international law, gays, and reality itself. With him, there is little hypocrisy. Sure, he talks about democracy, but we all know that that means democracy for the super-wealthy. When Clinton spoke of humanitarian war, people really believed it. No one buys into George Bush's nonsense, do they?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 04/28/2006 03:51:32
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  07:07:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
As a democrat, I still prefer our liars to their liars...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  09:38:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

As a Canadian, I still have trouble understanding how Bush got elected to a second term.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  12:10:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kil

As a Canadian, I still have trouble understanding how Bush got elected to a second term.

As a Brazilian, I wish he wasn't

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  14:30:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kil

As an American I still have trouble seeing how bush got elected to a second term.

-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  18:16:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
quote:
* And its cosmology (in which mankind is an inconsequential accident)

Then, of course, there's the liberal creation myth: Charles Darwin's theory of evolution.

For liberals, evolution is the touchstone that separates the enlightened from the benighted. But Coulter neatly refutes the charade that liberals are rationalists guided by the ideals of free inquiry and the scientific method. She exposes the essential truth about Darwinian evolution that liberals refuse to confront: it is bogus science.

So Miss Coulter has determined that Evolution is bogus science? Would someone please refresh my memory as to why she is qualified to make such a determination?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds.