Public Policy Step One: pray for good weather
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  10:27:45  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/nation/14465584.htm
quote:
President Bush on Friday rejected the idea of killing FEMA.

"The lessons of Katrina are important," Bush said. "We've learned a lot here at the federal level. We're much more ready this time than we were last time."

"Let's, first of all, pray there's no hurricanes," Bush said "That would be, like, step one."
It will never cease to amaze me that people think prayer has the potential to stop natural disasters, but somehow it isn't God's malice when they strike anyway. I guess all those people died last year because our government officials weren't putting aside enough time for prayer circles.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  14:19:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Sure...just pray and the whole weather pattern of a rotating body with an atmosphere and solar heat source will stop.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  14:50:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Step 2, change gods until the problem is solved.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  15:40:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Or, Step 3, flush the incompetent bastards out of the government like cleaning out a clogged sewer line, burn the chairs their sorry ass' sat in, and then make damned well sure the next bunch knows exactly what will happen if they demonstrate anything like the same stupidity.

Imfuckingpeach! [truncheonslap]

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  15:44:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
My hometown of Abilene, Texas has been called the belt buckle of the bible belt; as, no doubt, other places have been also. Some years ago, the Abilene area suffered quite a drought spurring "pray for rain" days, as the local paper called it. Weeks went by with out a drop of rain, then the deluge came -- parts of the area got up to five inches one afternoon. The huge headlines the next day called it "Miracle Rain, Prayers Answered". Article mentions how god opened up the heavens to end the drought. Further down the front page was a lessor story about how the heavy rain destroyed the local cotton crop.
Easy game of pick and choose they play.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  16:59:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Me, I advise praying for good national leadership.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  18:36:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Me, I advise praying for good national leadership.

I'd almost say I've been praying for Bush to fall on his presidentcial face ever since taking office. And, by god, my prayers have been getting answered day by day! It's a miracle!(?)

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  19:08:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Sincerely, Andy Rooney
quote:
The Pope traditionally prays for peace every Easter and the fact that it has never had any effect whatsoever in preventing or ending war never deters him. What goes through the Pope's mind about the being rejected all the time? Does God have it in for him?

edited to add: Fortunately, 55th National Day of Prayer is Thursday.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 05/01/2006 19:16:03
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  19:57:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Randy stated:
quote:
I'd almost say I've been praying for Bush to fall on his presidentcial face ever since taking office. And, by god, my prayers have been getting answered day by day! It's a miracle!(?)
You have to stop doing that, Randy! It's working too well. Every time Bush falls on his face, some other poor bastard gets a bloody nose.

This reminds me of Bush's recent promise that he'll never lose his nerve in Iraq. What does he personally have at risk? That slimy coward got himself out of combat in his generation. This in turn reminds me of a WWII soldiers' saying about General George Patton. They called him "Old Blood-and-Guts. His guts, our blood."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  22:12:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
Maybe Katrina and the other hurricanes are punishment from Gaia for not signing the Kyoto accord on greenhouse gas emissions.

Looks like Bush is praying to the wrong god as usual.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.