Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  14:55:45  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I don't have a lot to say about this, except the fair trial and the jury sentencing at least shows that Moussaoui got better justice than he would give innocent victims of his jihadi beliefs. This was no lynch-mob or show trial.

Zacarias Moussaoui will rot in prison, with 23 hours alone in his cell every day, and one alone in a "dog run" for exercise. This non-life will continue as long as his heart beats. I am satisfied. I would also have been satisfied had he gotten the death sentence.

"America, you lost, I won!" Moussaoui shouted as he clapped after he was given a life sentence. I'm personally certain that he would have just as arrogantly claimed a martyr's victory had he been sentenced to death.

Your comments?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  15:15:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I am happy they chose to put this "person" in for life without parole. Not only am I morally opposed to the government killing its citizens, I think his death would have been used for purposes we don't approve of.

I wonder what he will think about his "victory" 5, 10, 30 years from now?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 05/03/2006 15:15:26
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  15:38:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
A life sentence is a much better decision. Executing him would have been giving him what he wanted - martyrdom.

Here is some satrical commentary on Canada's Al Queda family recorded just before it was announced that one of them would not be facing the death penalty.

Khadr Family - Text

Khadr Family - Real Audio

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  20:19:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
pleco, I second your sentiments.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  22:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

pleco, I second your sentiments.

I concur.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  05:19:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I think we should have a new punishment, erasure. After the sentencing everyone involved would just pretend to never have heard of the person, ever.

"Mossawa who now?"

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  10:42:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
I'm satisfied. While I have no problem with executing those actually guilty of heinous crimes, this chump, this homicidal wannabe, gets an even worse punishment - years and years alone with nothing but his own tedious company, before nature takes its course and he is summoned for his final judgment. (I don't think Allah's gonna go easy on him, either.)

"America, you lost, I won!" Yeah, keep telling yourself that, loser, over all the long years.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  12:50:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The Rude Pundit says it all:
quote:
5/4/2006
The Real Post-Moussaoui-Sentencing Smackdown:
After the announcement of yesterday's verdict of life in prison for Zacarias Moussaoui, the Pete Best of al-Qaeda, we got to hear from 9/11 victims' families. The fact that Moussaoui had about as much to do with 9/11 as a polar bear has to do with rising gas prices didn't seem to matter to prosecutors, who were determined that Moussaoui, being Muslim, crazy, brownish and bearded, would be the nutzoid canvas onto which the bloodlust of revenge fantasies would be painted. So, yeah, sure, this is the "first 9/11-related case" brought to trial only because they called it the "first 9/11-related case."

Over on the CNNMSNBCFox, we heard from the family members who wanted to rip open Moussaoui with their bare hands and squeeze his squishy viscera while laughing at his screams. And we also heard from those less bloodthirsty family members who actually believe that Moussaoui, the Gummo Marx of jihadis, is just a loser who likes to shout stupid shit like, "America, you lost; I won," as he did after the verdict was read, or "God curse America," as he did today at his formal sentencing. This is Moussaoui, the barroom braggart, the asshole who makes up stories about all the gooks he offed in 'Nam when, in reality, his happy ass stayed in Mama's living room because of his flat feet. You kinda wanna kick him in the nuts, but mostly you just feel sorry for him.

One of those family members was the cute-as-a-kitten Carie Lemack, a founder of Familes of September 11, who lost her mother, Judy Larocque, on that day. The quote of hers that's made the rounds of the news is her smackdown of Moussaoui: "He's going to be in jail for the rest of his life, which is exactly what this man deserves. He's an al Qaeda wannabe. And he does not deserve any credit for 9/11, because he was not part of that. And I am so glad the jury recognized that and realized that he just wanted to kill Americans, but he wasn't even skilled enough to be able to do that." Or the shorter quote: "[T]his man was an al Qaeda wannabe who could never have put together the 9/11 attacks."

I'll drink to that.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  20:14:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
It's okay by me. It seems proportional to the crime, obviates any claim of martyrdom and nicely expresses a fitting contempt for his beliefs and acts by declaring him to be "not worth the powder to blow him to Hell".

In ten years he'll be nothing but the answer to a trivia question for crime buffs, just like Marion Hedgepeth.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  02:01:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Canadian channel had an interesting piece on his family members. One older son was very articulate about the way he believed his vulnerable mentally not quite right brother was indoctrinated into the cult like group of terrorists. The mother has disowned the older son for being disloyal about the younger son but I got the impression she was in denial that Moussaoui was guilty. I didn't see the whole thing so I don't know if the mom was interviewed before or after the stuff came out in the trial. I think the guy is indeed at least somewhat mentally ill. Seems to me like a reasonable jury decision.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  07:53:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
That is, assuming he won't suicide in prison and become a martyr anyway. These guys aren't too keen on survival.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  09:56:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

That is, assuming he won't suicide in prison and become a martyr anyway. These guys aren't too keen on survival.

Umm, I think that the essence of martyrdom is being killed for your beliefs, not killing yourself.

Look at the Heaven's Gate people. They killed themselves for their beliefs and nobody describes them as martyrs rather than credulous idiots.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  10:40:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ktesibios

quote:

Umm, I think that the essence of martyrdom is being killed for your beliefs, not killing yourself.

Look at the Heaven's Gate people. They killed themselves for their beliefs and nobody describes them as martyrs rather than credulous idiots.
And thus, Siberia's point is made. Anyone so off the deep end of the Kool-Aid Culture as Zac & friends will happily call anyone they want a martyr, no matter how much stupidity the turkey demonstrated when he/she bought it. The Christians are little different in this respect.

The fanatic, nut-job version of Islam really can't be compared with HG if only due to membership numbers. HG was a small cult numbering even fewer than the Jonestowm whackos (albeit the argument can be made that they were even crazier than Jonesy's bunch). Islam, on the other hand, is another world-wide nuisance with plenty of room for vicious martyrs and credulous idiots as well.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/05/2006 10:56:48
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  15:19:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ktesibios

quote:

I can just see the conspiracy now: Zacarias's so called suicide was actually a cold blooded killing.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  17:59:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Zacarias Moussaoui's so-called "life" in the high desert of Colorado at the supermax Federal prison called "ADX Florence," will be in close proximity with some interesting chracters, though he will not be able to see, hear, or compare notes with the other villains.

Federal Bureau of Prisons ADX "supermax" facility at Florence, Colorado

A partial list of ADX Florence prisoners from the Wikipedia article:
quote:
* Matthew F. Hale (White Supremacist convicted of soliciting the murder of a federal judge)
* Robert Hanssen (FBI agent convicted of spying for the Soviet Union and Russia.)
* Charles Harrelson (murdered a judge)
* Larry Hoover (Leader of the Black Gangster Disciples Nation, based in Chicago)
* Theodore Kaczynski (The "Unabomber")
* David Lane (murdered liberal Jewish talk radio host Alan Berg)
* Zacarias Moussaoui (conspirator in the September 11, 2001 attack)
* Terry Nichols (Oklahoma City Bombing conspirator)
* Omar Abdel-Rahman (Islamist terrorist, nicknamed "The Blind Sheik"; Involved in World Trade Center bombing planning in 1993.
* Richard Reid ("Shoe bomber"; Islamist terrorist)
* Eric Robert Rudolph (Olympic Park bomber)
* Mutulu Shakur (for bank robbery, conspiracy and murder)
* Ramzi Yousef (Islamist terrorist, 1993 World Trade Center bombing)
* Brian Askew (Co-Leader of the RCC)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/05/2006 18:00:48
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  18:10:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
He's in good company.
Imagine if he'd ever get out in the general prison population, his ass would be immediately terminated, with extreme prejudice.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.