Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  11:29:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I quickly realized after my last post that beskeptigal was joking. But being in Boston, I didn't have computer access to delete my post and hide any trail of it.

I wasn't joking. But this post clarifies you were addressing my post.

Here's my philosophy on this.

How hard is it to use the softer spatula on the butter container? It is no different than using a knife. Maybe an extra utensil to wash, but that's all.

Does the hard butter knife actually remove any plastic from the side of the butter container? Yes, with the amount depending on how vigorous you scrape. Try it an see how easily plastic is scraped from the side.

Do we know if consuming the plastic is safe? I doubt if it has been investigated. And, sometimes the butter is heated in cooking, sometimes not so the temperature affects on the plastic would also need to be looked at as well. I assume some basic testing on the safety of using this plastic for food containers was presented to the FDA, but I'm not sure how extensive that testing would have been.

The FDA allows that styrofoam and look what heat does to it. Was microwaving styrofoam with food in it tested? There are many varieties of styrofoam containers. Are some OK and others not? Are any labeled with heat limits?

What is the quantity of the plastic consumed in this manner, (knife scraping sides of the container)? It could be considerable if one uses butter, (actually this whole thing is about margarine, I should clarify that), often daily, over one's lifetime.

Conclusion: Hazard unknown.
Avoiding the unknown risk: Almost no additional action needed to avoid it.

If the cell phones emit radiation (I believe they do but I don't know the extent and whether it penetrates skin and bone), and we know radiation is a hazard, I don't see the fallacy in taking measures to avoid the hazard. However, I'd need proof the barriers were indeed effective and not a scam.

The next decision then becomes, is it a great enough hazard to warrant the cost and inconvenience of using the barrier? If the barriers were free and not inconvenient, I'd use one. Beyond that, the evidence of harm with the amount of phone time I use doesn't warrant a barrier. For those folks with the phone in their ear day and night, especially teens and young adults with the potential for greater lifetime exposures, I'd certainly want to read a bit more of the evidence.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.