Best fiction?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  17:13:32  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
I noticed that the New York Times recently polled various judges to come up with the best work of fiction of the last 25 years.

Now, I'm not much of a fiction reader (too much scholarly non-fiction!), but I thought I'd throw this out there. Of course, it's not skeptic-related-- in fact it's rather highfalutin-- but I did read some of these books when I was younger and figured others may want to discuss:

WINNER:
*Beloved, by Toni Morrison (1987)

THE RUNNERS-UP:
*Underworld, by Don DeLillo (1997)

*Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy (1985)

*Rabbit Angstrom: The Four Novels, by John Updike

(actually Rabbit, Run (1960), Rabbit Redux (1971), Rabbit Is Rich (1981), and Rabbit at Rest' (1995))

*American Pastoral, by Philip Roth (1997).

It should be noted that HH already talked about McCarthy's Blood Meridian, so perhaps we are a highfalutin bunch!

Anyhow, have a look at the list and share your thoughts!

Edited by - Cuneiformist on 05/13/2006 17:15:29

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  23:05:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Woot! Blood Meridian made the list. See my sig for my review. Best book of all time in my humble opinion.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  07:24:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Not my type; I'd rather revel in fantasy and sci-fi fiction.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.