New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  10:35:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Good news Compassion, we'd rather die than believe what you believe. You sure are good at unintentionally being a total asshole.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  10:56:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Compassion

What does it matter that your future kids/grandkids and so on survive? Life is temporarily and just to feel "full" will not be any better than dying the instance you were born. Because if you do not go to heaven, or do not believe in heaven, you will be "wiped from existance" as if nothing you did has ever made any effect.

Everyone leaves a mark on this world, how large is up to the person. I would rather live a long life and try and make the world a better place for my desendents rather then sit and pray that the whole thing is over soon and that I am pulled up to heaven.

I know I will live on in my desendents, are you sure you will go to heaven when you die?

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  10:56:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
Compression's response is so typical of this crowd.

I don't remember where I read this (Richard Dawkins perhaps) but why are the devout sooo greedy? We have this gift of life (don't get hung up on the word "gift", I used it in the most benign of manners), we are equipped with a pretty good cognitive/analytical thinking device and a fairly decent functional lifespan, and we are in a wonderous, vast, and strange universe -- bigger, nay infinite, than we can EVER fully explore in a BILLION lifetimes...

And all they want (the devout/believers) or are worried about is getting the "next" one. Mind you, there has been absolutely NO proof (NONE, verlch, Bill, compression, and the rest of you clowns) that this "next" life exists. But they know that it's BETTER than this one. This one is just a dry run. Talk about the proverbial "grass is greener..."

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:52:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Well if you start with the absolutely ridiculous idea that,'The perfect being created us in his perfect image and we get to go to a perfect place and get eternal bliss.', Then reality is really going to piss you off and confuse you, because its all downhill from there.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Compassion

8 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  19:01:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Compassion a Private Message
You people will understand in the future. Hopefully.

There IS no reality. What you call reality is God's creation, and I'm not trying to offend any of you. You are proving yourselves to be fools, hence "fools hate correction"

Paulos, I am sure. Whether you leave a mark in the land will not matter, and you will not be here to enjoy it in any case

Are YOU going to heaven? Read the Bible, God's Word, to find out the truth. God is filled with compassion for you, His creation, and will reach out to bring you salvation. He sent his son, Christ Jesus, as a substitute for your sins. Accept Christ into your heart once and for all to be saved. God's deliverance from death for you is here!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  19:52:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Compassion:
You are proving yourselves to be fools, hence "fools hate correction"

So far, I haven't seen where we have been corrected. But we are skeptics and are open to correction. Are you?

By the way, it was the job of a fool to tell the king the truth. Only a fool could get away with the unvarnished truth without risking being parted with his head. So, I don't mind being called a fool…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  19:54:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
"Compassion" proposed:
quote:

There IS no reality. What you call reality is God's creation, and I'm not trying to offend any of you. You are proving yourselves to be fools, hence "fools hate correction"

Paulos, I am sure. Whether you leave a mark in the land will not matter, and you will not be here to enjoy it in any case
Now, as I see it, this is exactlty the kind of dangerous thinking that your fanatical religious blindness to the real world creates. Yet again, you state that human existence doesn't matter a whit, just as you said earlier about the future survival of our children.

I cry, "anathema!" upon you, for being truly and dangerously anti-life.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  20:14:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Paulos wrote:
quote:
I know I will live on in my desendents, are you sure you will go to heaven when you die?
You know you will live on in your desendents? Well, I guess as long as they remember you and they exist. But you will be forgotten. I think it's better to just accept the transitory nature of life and not worry about living on past our own death.

This isn't to say I don't care about my children and future generations. I care about them as much as I care about the whole of humanity that are strangers to me. I support policies and conditions that would better the human condition and I attempt to act ethically in my daily life. But I don't rely on other people to give value to my life. All I need to give my life value is to appreciate any aspects of life, and I do, every waking moment I am alive. It doesn't matter if my life is rendered meaningless after I die. I won't be around to be bummed out about it.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 05/25/2006 20:15:09
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  20:22:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Compassion wrote:
quote:
Yes, because according to your barbaric worldview there's a sky monster who made imperfect people and then tortures them for all of eternity for being either imperfect or not putting aside their finest and more useful attribute (their ability to reflect on and try to understand themselves and the world around them) in exchange for blind worship of him whom there is zero evidence for. Great worldview you got there, but have you tried worshipping Huitzilopochtli? You might like that too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huitzilopochtli

quote:
There IS no reality. What you call reality is God's creation,
Can't it be both reality and God's creation? There IS no carrot. What you call a carrot is a vegetable.

quote:
and I'm not trying to offend any of you. You are proving yourselves to be fools, hence "fools hate correction"
Ooo, ad hom attacks always make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

quote:
Whether you leave a mark in the land will not matter, and you will not be here to enjoy it in any case
So all those Jews Hitler killed, no biggie. After all, death camps aren't reality, they're part of God's creation.

(Edited to add link to Aztec sun god.)

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 05/25/2006 20:26:14
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  20:44:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
marfknox noticed:
quote:
So all those Jews Hitler killed, no biggie. After all, death camps aren't reality, they're part of God's creation.
Precisely. Thus evil is let to run rampant with so-called "Compassion's" world view. People are nothing, "God" is all.

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  21:43:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Paulos wrote:
quote:
You know you will live on in your desendents? Well, I guess as long as they remember you and they exist. But you will be forgotten. I think it's better to just accept the transitory nature of life and not worry about living on past our own death.

True, eventually I will be forgotten. But, my DNA will be passed on and on. That is sort of living isn't it?

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  21:47:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Compassion

Well if this not reality, but just some god's dream, does it matter what we do or believe?

quote:

Whether or not I am here to enjoy my mark on the land is not the point. Leaving a mark is not about enjoying it, it is about improving the world for my kids.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  22:05:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
"Compassion" had stated earlier:
quote:
I finally got around to seeing this statement in a new way. Logically, you are therefor saying ("There IS no reality") that your God created ("What you call reality is God's creation") ... nothing at all. Also, you are clearly stating that God is not real.

I'm glad we all can finally agree on that issue.

BTW, my background was growing up Christian, alternately being sent to my mother's Methodist Church and my fathers' Church of Christ. I cannot recall ever hearing this idea of formally denying reality (as opposed to denying it on an ad hoc basis by attacking science) being either preached from the pulpit, or taught in Sunday School. Nor have I read of such a concept in the Bible. It sounds Buddhist to me. Where did you get the notion that Christianity formally denies reality?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/25/2006 22:06:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.