Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Was the human-chimp split a messy divorce?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  05:55:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
verlch verily vomited:
quote:
Where is your testable evidence to support your theories.
Hey, you picked up on that phrase here, I'll bet. Too bad you and your Cretinist cohorts don't have a clue what it means, anymore than you know the difference between a period and a question mark.
quote:
Human beings are complex, living creatures. Smart no less, I would expect a super smart, being to have made us, and by golly, the by faith evidence I see in the bible.
"Faith evidence"??? You don't have the slightest idea of what an "oxymoron" is, do you, verlch? That's as stupid a statement as I've ever heard, especially right after demanding my evidence.

Okay, I'll play by your rules: My evidence is my deep and abiding faith in a large, hairy, powerful Gnome named Sammy, who told me what to write. When I met Sammy, he was just back from beating up your punk-ass God. Where's your evidence I'm lying?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  05:58:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Hey HalfMooner, verlch has this BOOK that tells him what to think. You better produce a book real quick too, because if it isn't written down by bronze age mystics thousands of years ago, it isn't REAL faith evidence.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  06:11:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
pleco added:
quote:
Hey HalfMooner, verlch has this BOOK that tells him what to think. You better produce a book real quick too, because if it isn't written down by bronze age mystics thousands of years ago, it isn't REAL faith evidence.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: Sammy beat up Yahweh by bitch-slapping Him with Sammy's Holy Book of Truth and Bludgeoning. He gave me a copy, but on the condition that only I could read or interpret it.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  08:21:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Velch:
All I see are fully formed fossils, drawings, and fossils you think, may be missing links that "evolved" too quickly to be seen by the naked eye in the fossil record.

So, what exactly would an un-fully formed fossil look like? I mean, we have hominid fossils that display traits that are both primitive and modern. Afarensis would be a great example of that. She was fully bipedal and had a hip arrangement much like modern humans. She also has a dental morphology that is tending toward the beginnings of modern and yet she had the cranial capacity of a chimp, and so on. She is clearly transitional. Again, what should she look like if she was un-fully formed?

Edited to add:

I'll help you out Verlch. There is no such thing as an un-fully formed animal. Every transitional is a fully formed and functioning species taking advantage of whatever niche it happens to fill. The only people looking for an un-fully formed animal, which by definition cannot exist, are creationists. It's something more than a strawman. It's a lie foisted on the faithful by those more interested in proselytizing than they are in actually telling the truth… Liars for Christ.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  20:22:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verlch
All I see are fully formed fossils, drawings, and fossils you think, may be missing links that "evolved" too quickly to be seen by the naked eye in the fossil record.

Let's take a closer look at what verlch is really arguing here:
Premise 1: If evolution was true then we would expect to find fossilised creatures that are 0-100% "formed".
Premise 2: All fossils found are fully formed.
Conclusion: Evolution is false.

Let's for fun go along with verlch and assume that premise 1 is true (bwahahaha) and examine the evidence for premise 2. In many instances, only fragments of fossils are found. These fossil fragments could in fact be partly formed creatures. If this was true, then what verlch is really arguing is this:

Premise 1: If evolution was true then we would expect to find fossilised creatures that are 0-100% "formed".
Premise 2: Lots of fossils found are partly formed.
Conclusion: Evolution is true.

Thanks for this brilliant insight, verlch!!!!!

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  20:47:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: Sammy beat up Yahweh by bitch-slapping Him with Sammy's Holy Book of Truth and Bludgeoning. He gave me a copy, but on the condition that only I could read or interpret it.

So.... that makes you a mormon!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  23:58:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

At first, I missed the second m.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  04:31:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Dude and Starman conspired to say:
quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dude

At first, I missed the second m
Yup, a little of both, actually. I've got he magical specs needed to read Sammy's scripture, and I'm dumb enough to believe it literally.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  04:42:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Hawks observed:
quote:
Let's for fun go along with verlch and assume that premise 1 is true (bwahahaha) and examine the evidence for premise 2. In many instances, only fragments of fossils are found. These fossil fragments could in fact be partly formed creatures. If this was true, then what verlch is really arguing is this:

Premise 2: Lots of fossils found are partly formed.
Conclusion: Evolution is true.
Yes, and so in human evolution research, paleontologists should be looking for these partially-formed fossils: Independent, bipedal leg-and-hip assemblies; Disembodied, big-brained crania; Free-ranging opposable thumbs; Hairless, freelance torsos. We must presume that at some point, these all came together in an unspeakable orgy, and hybridized into humans.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/21/2006 04:44:17
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  00:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
Here is an Interview (MP3) with Dr. David Reich the senior author of the study.

He says that similarities in the X chromosome are evidence of hybridization.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  23:18:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Velch:

So, what exactly would an un-fully formed fossil look like? I mean, we have hominid fossils that display traits that are both primitive and modern. Afarensis would be a great example of that. She was fully bipedal and had a hip arrangement much like modern humans. She also has a dental morphology that is tending toward the beginnings of modern and yet she had the cranial capacity of a chimp, and so on. She is clearly transitional. Again, what should she look like if she was un-fully formed?

Edited to add:

I'll help you out Verlch. There is no such thing as an un-fully formed animal. Every transitional is a fully formed and functioning species taking advantage of whatever niche it happens to fill. The only people looking for an un-fully formed animal, which by definition cannot exist, are creationists. It's something more than a strawman. It's a lie foisted on the faithful by those more interested in proselytizing than they are in actually telling the truth… Liars for Christ.

Where are these jaw bones of apes and humans at anyway?

Did you study the other millions of fossils that were normal and not your anomalies to stroke your theory?
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  23:23:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Velch:

Edited to add:

Really, only fully formed animals can exist? Just transforming into another creature so rapidly that the fossil record doesn't record it? Nor can we observe it, purely speculation in the stratosphere.

More like dreams. If it was fine in its present form, than what purpose is it to adapt, and is this how evolutionists are going to become gods, by this process?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.