Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  14:03:54  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Amazing! According to this link over at CBN (that's Christian Broadcasting Network, by the way-- so we know they can't lie):
quote:
Pat Robertson, through rigorous training, leg-pressed 2,000 pounds! How did he do it?

Where does Pat find the time and energy to host a daily, national TV show, head a world-wide ministry, develop visionary scholars, while traveling the globe as a statesman?

One of Pat's secrets to keeping his energy high and his vitality soaring is his age-defying protein shake. Pat developed a delicious, refreshing shake, filled with energy-producing nutrients.

That's right folks, Pat Robertson can leg press a fucking ton. Through his special protein shake. Impressed? You should be. Though I couldn't find anything for the leg press, I found a guy who was setting records squatting 1,074 pounds. Here's a picture:

Now, the squat isn't the same thing as the leg press. But it's similar in that involves many of the same muscles.

Think Patty Rob can leg press double the above guy's squat record? Here's a pic of Pat:

Maybe. Or maybe he's full of shit!!

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  14:22:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Nah...don't believe it. It was his ears; his flappers can lift a ton, easy.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  14:23:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I dunno. Never did a leg press as an adult, but when I was a skinny, unathletic 10-year-old, I leg regularly pressed 400 lbs., a figure which still impresses me. In a leg press machine, with your back braced against the floor, an enormous amount of weight can be lifted using the legs alone. I'm willing to bet that leg-pressing a ton is nothing at all unusual for a healthy adult man or woman. But with liar like Robertson, I'd want proof.

Anyone have adult leg press experience?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  14:32:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I dunno. Never did a leg press as an adult, but when I was a skinny, unathletic 10-year-old, I leg regularly pressed 400 lbs., a figure which still impresses me. In a leg press machine, with your back braced against the floor, an enormous amount of weight can be lifted using the legs alone. I'm willing to bet that leg-pressing a ton is nothing at all unusual for a healthy adult man or woman. But with liar like Robertson, I'd want proof.

Anyone have adult leg press experience?

I'm not certain but I think the leg press record is something under 1,000#. Could ber wrong about that.

Pet becomes more amazing with each, passing day. I wonder what he has in store for us for June 6.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  14:45:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I'll be darned. Here's what one article says:
quote:
Pat Robertson Is The Strongest Man Alive

CBS Sportsline's SPIN columnist Clay Travis points out the following dubious claim, as professed on noted televangelist Pat Robertson on his Web site:

Did you know that Pat Robertson can leg-press 2000 pounds! How does he do it?

Where does Pat find the time and energy to host a daily, national TV show, head a world-wide ministry, develop visionary scholars, while traveling the globe as a statesman?

One of Pat's secrets to keeping his energy high and his vitality soaring is his age-defying protein shake. Pat developed a delicious, refreshing shake, filled with energy-producing nutrients.

We're guessing that one of those “energy-producing nutrients” is black-tar heroin, because that's the only way ole Pat could leg press 2,000 pounds without noticing that every bone in the lower half of his body had shattered. (As Travis points out, the Florida State record for the leg press is 665 pounds.) Oral Roberts, though? That dude was a beast in the weight room; man could lift 675 pounds with his nipples. Something to see.
[My emphasis in last paragraph.]

I'm still resarching this.

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  14:50:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
# When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Pat Robertson.
# Pat Robertson doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
# There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Pat Robertson has allowed to live.
# Outer space exists because it's afraid to be on the same planet with Pat Robertson.
# Pat Robertson does not sleep. He waits.
# Pat Robertson is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.
# Pat Robertson is the reason why Waldo is hiding.
# Pat Robertson counted to infinity - twice.
# When Pat Robertson does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down.
# Pat Robertson is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head.
# Pat Robertson's hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.
# There is no such thing as global warming. Pat Robertson was cold, so he turned the sun up.
# Pat Robertson can lead a horse to water AND make it drink.
# Pat Robertson doesn't wear a watch, HE decides what time it is.
# Pat Robertson gave Mona Lisa that smile.
# Pat Robertson can slam a revolving door.
# Contrary to popular belief, America is not a democracy, it is a Pattatorship.

Yes, these were shameless taken from a Chuck Norris page and edited slightly.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Edited by - dglas on 05/24/2006 14:59:17
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  15:15:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Great stuff, dglas!

I haven't yet found any "official" leg press records, and it appears leg pressing isn't a normal weight lifting event. Also, some leg press machines are vertical, like the one I used at the Vic Tanny Gym as a kid, but most now in use have their weights going up and own on an inclined plane. Thus, on the latter, it would presumably be possible to "lift" a lot more weight.

The "unofficial" records I've seen have been well under a ton, and no information was given as to the angle of the press. I guess that at ten years old, 400 lbs. (I'm certain of that figure) was a pretty impressive amount to leg press, though. Of course, I had to run both up and down a steep hill each day to attend school, so maybe that's why my legs were so strong.

Maybe Robertson's leg press had an angle of 1 degree?

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  15:21:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Great stuff, dglas!

I haven't yet found any "official" leg press records, and it appears leg pressing isn't a normal weight lifting event. Also, some leg press machines are vertical, like the one I used at the Vic Tanny Gym as a kid, but most now in use have their weights going up and own on an inclined plane. Thus, on the latter, it would presumably be possible to "lift" a lot more weight.

The "unofficial" records I've seen have been well under a ton, and no information was given as to the angle of the press. I guess that at ten years old, 400 lbs. (I'm certain of that figure) was a pretty impressive amount to leg press, though. Of course, I had to run both up and down a steep hill each day to attend school, so maybe that's why my legs were so strong.

Maybe Robertson's leg press had an angle of 1 degree?

Heh, one degree decending....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  15:26:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Pat Robertson doesn't report to God, God reports to Pat Roberston.
4 out of 5 priests recommend Pat Roberston. The 5th was struck by lightning shortly after answering.
Mosts priests use wine as a substitue for the blood of Christ in their ceremonies. Not Pat.
God had to rest on the seventh day. Pat Roberston was just getting started.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 05/24/2006 15:32:03
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  15:31:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Then there's this:
quote:
Madeleine Albright and the Leg Press: Controversy Settled, Once and For All
Wonkette

POSTED: 05.05.06 @01:10
We've received a ridiculous number of emails and reader comments about former Secretary of State Madeleine's Albright's claim that she can leg press 400 pounds. We've heard persuasive contentions and evidence on both sides. The argument has been more vigorous, spirited, and detailed than the congressional debate over the Iraq war resolution.

But now the Albright-and-leg-press dispute has been definitively resolved. From the Washington Whispers column of U.S. News:

Did you laugh when you read former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright's claim in the New York Times to leg-pressing 400 pounds? Well, she knew you would. So the day after the interview, Albright rushed to her Definitions gym in Georgetown and tagged her trainer, Margo Carper, loaded up the weight on the leg press, and completed 10 reps.

“I got a little nervous after I had said that,” she confessed. “So I got off the red-eye … Thursday, and I went to my place and I said, ‘OK, Margo, we have to do this to prove again that I could do it.' And so I did.” She adds, “Yes, I do leg-press 400 pounds. To what end I don't know. I could make a vulgar comment.”

Note that this lady provided evidence!

Go to Top of Page

Stargirl
Skeptic Friend

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  15:51:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Stargirl a Private Message
quote:

I'll be darned. Here's what one article says:
quote:
Pat Robertson Is The Strongest Man Alive

CBS Sportsline's SPIN columnist Clay Travis points out the following dubious claim, as professed on noted televangelist Pat Robertson on his Web site:

Did you know that Pat Robertson can leg-press 2000 pounds! How does he do it?

We're guessing that one of those “energy-producing nutrients” is black-tar heroin, because that's the only way ole Pat could leg press 2,000 pounds without noticing that every bone in the lower half of his body had shattered. (As Travis points out, the Florida State record for the leg press is 665 pounds.) Oral Roberts, though? That dude was a beast in the weight room; man could lift 675 pounds with his nipples. Something to see.
[My emphasis in last paragraph.]

I'm still resarching this.

Halfmooner I'm afraid that quote is a bit inaccurate, the record is 1,335 pounds according to the original article by Clay Travis at CBSsportsline.com.

quote:
2. There is no way on earth Robertson leg presses 2,000 pounds. That would mean a 76-year-old man broke the all-time Florida State University leg press record by 665 pounds over Dan Kendra. 665 pounds. Further, when he set the record, they had to modify the leg press machine to fit 1,335 pounds of weight. Plus, Kendra's capillaries in his eyes burst. Burst. Where in the world did Robertson even find a machine that could hold 2,000 pounds at one time? And how does he still have vision?

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  16:32:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Stargirl pointed out:
quote:
Halfmooner I'm afraid that quote is a bit inaccurate, the record is 1,335 pounds according to the original article by Clay Travis at CBSsportsline.com.

quote:2. There is no way on earth Robertson leg presses 2,000 pounds. That would mean a 76-year-old man broke the all-time Florida State University leg press record by 665 pounds over Dan Kendra. 665 pounds. Further, when he set the record, they had to modify the leg press machine to fit 1,335 pounds of weight. Plus, Kendra's capillaries in his eyes burst. Burst. Where in the world did Robertson even find a machine that could hold 2,000 pounds at one time? And how does he still have vision?

Thank you. Looks like DeadSpin (and I) sloppily mistook the difference between the weights that Robertson claims and Keddra's record leg-press weight as the weight that Kendra pressed.

Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  18:53:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Any word on what's in this shake? I'd like to test it myself.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  20:02:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Of course, if Pat Robertson is lying about his superpowers deriving from his commercial shake, he may be violating the law by quackery. (Practicing sports medicine without a steroid?) After all, he's not crediting God, which would have made the lie legal. Any good shysters on the board who might want to look into the legalities? At the least, Quackwatch ought to know about this.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  20:36:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
My guess is what ole 'honest Pat' was saying is that he can press 100 lbs 20 times in a 24 hour period.......

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  01:27:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Update:
quote:
GNC drops Pat Robertson's muscle drink
NEW YORK, June 5

(UPI) -- U.S. nutritional supplement firm GNC Corp. will no longer sell a protein drink associated with the Rev. Pat Robertson, a noted televangelist.

The corporation, which did not elaborate on the reason for its move, comes despite high praise from the drink's creator, the head of the Christian Broadcasting Network, The New York Times reported Monday.

Robertson, 76, credits his "protein shake" with the ability to leg press 2,000 pounds -- 665 pounds more than the current world record.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.