New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  10:56:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I say we send em to the Duterium Mines of Largos IV, that'll teach em.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

LizW
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  17:31:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send LizW a Private Message
quote:
Quoting Ricky
Then we change how we decide criminals should be released and how they are allowed to act in prision. Either way, just killing them is not the answer.

This opens up a much wider and stickier debate. Are we as a society attempting to punish criminals, or rehabilitate criminals, or just put them somewhere that they can't do any harm. Everyone has there own bias to this. Thus no one makes any headway in any direction. The people who pull for rehabilitation have to make the public want to pour money into programs geared toward solving root mental and physical problems.

When we hear about parents who beat their own children to death our first gut reaction is not to fix them and make them viable citizens again, it is to hurt them back. I don't have the numbers to back this up but I am guessing most people hold onto that gut reaction and lean toward punishment. Thus when the time comes to fund prison programs politicians lean toward more bars and less books.

I am trying to play this ball from both sides of the court and have managed to give myself brain sprain.

quote:
Quoting Beskeptical

There's a balance between dealing with certain crimes as an illness and as a crime. We don't do a good job of it.

Beyond that do we consider it an illness that only affects the individuals already involved, or do we consider it infectious illness. It is pretty obvious that I am looking at it in an amputate the limb to protect the body sort of way.

I enjoyed the article about recidivism but I would like to pare down the numbers a little more. Strip out consentual sex between people within 5 years of each others age whether they are of age or not. Next get rid of voyeurs and flashers who are troubling but not aggressive. Also although it is impossible to tell I would like to know how many learned from their mistakes and were never caught again. (Phew !!!! this is too much typing for me.)

You learn something new every g****mn day!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  18:12:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

This opens up a much wider and stickier debate. Are we as a society attempting to punish criminals, or rehabilitate criminals, or just put them somewhere that they can't do any harm. Everyone has there own bias to this. Thus no one makes any headway in any direction. The people who pull for rehabilitation have to make the public want to pour money into programs geared toward solving root mental and physical problems.

Agreed, it is complex. Maybe there are some who can not be rehabilitated. Maybe there are those who just won't want to be, and thus, never will. What to do with these criminals, I am unsure. How we decide which criminals are such, again, I am unsure. I'm have no medical or psychological knowledge about this (or most...) issue, so I would be the worst person to try to decide that. But I know that we shouldn't kill criminals just because we don't want to deal with them.

quote:
When we hear about parents who beat their own children to death our first gut reaction is not to fix them and make them viable citizens again, it is to hurt them back. I don't have the numbers to back this up but I am guessing most people hold onto that gut reaction and lean toward punishment. Thus when the time comes to fund prison programs politicians lean toward more bars and less books.

"But I try not to think with my gut." - Sagan

And thus, why I hate politics. What the population wants and what is right are not always in agreement. Not saying I have a better way, just saying I hate it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

LizW
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  18:57:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send LizW a Private Message
One of the only things I remember from reading the Dune series (GEEK ALERT) is Frank Herbert saying the only perfect political system is an enlightened monarchy (God Emperor of Dune).

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  22:04:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
If you are talking about real pedophiles, then jail, rehab should be offered and close monitoring when released, second offense, throw the key away. But all depending on what medical science shows the re-offending chance to be on that second offense.

But then you have to not use this law against the 18 yr old who has sex with the 15 yr old. The law has been seriously abused in this regard. There should not only be an age of consent, but also an age spread defined. You can have lesser charges if you want for those closer in age but they aren't the same as pedophiles.
Go to Top of Page

LizW
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  22:18:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send LizW a Private Message
Right on, Beskeptigal.
I too believe we need a consentual sex point spread.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds.