Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dimossi
Skeptic Friend

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2001 :  18:19:39  Show Profile  Visit dimossi's Homepage  Send dimossi an AOL message Send dimossi a Private Message
I've heard it claimed that eating dairy products causes one to secrete more phlegm and other mucus. Is there any evidence of this or is it just an urban legend? Can anyone point me to a website that has information and cites studies done on this claim. Thanks.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." [Carl Sagan]

Edited by - dimossi on 12/18/2001 00:59:04

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2001 :  19:02:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
I highly doubt it. I absolutely love milk, especially the chocolate variety, and have never had any excess phlegm due to drinking chocolate milk. A partial calming of my craving for chocolate, but other than that, nothing.

IMO, urban legend.

"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness is usually the father." -Bailey's First Law
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2001 :  21:01:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I've heard it claimed that eating dairy products causes one to secrete more phlegm and other mucus. Is there any evidence of this or is it just an urban legend? Can anyone point me to a website that has information and cites studies done on this claim. Thanks.

Many years ago when I took public speaking classes my teacher said we shouldn't drink milk before giving a talk. I know she said something about milk in connection with our voices, I think that was it. But more recently I think I heard Dr. Edell say, that was an old wifes tale.
Check out this web site:
http://www.healthcentral.com/
Dr. Edell is very science based if you've ever heard him on his radio show and I also think it's public that he's an atheist, in any case, he is very bold on his show to disspell any phoney and outragious claims no matter whos toes he steps on.

Rap Crap is to music what Paint by Numbers is to art.
ps. I just tested that link, leave off the http, I guess if it doesn't work or just type Health Central in your Keyword. But it really is a good site, everything you'd want to know about any medical condition.

Edited by - snake on 12/16/2001 21:06:53
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2001 :  21:31:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
quote:

quote:
I've heard it claimed that eating dairy products causes one to secrete more phlegm and other mucus. Is there any evidence of this or is it just an urban legend? Can anyone point me to a website that has information and cites studies done on this claim.

I saw a thread about it ages ago whilst at this site....

It is a very good site about science where some of the stupid questions people have (such as, "Why is the fluff in my belly button mostly blue")

http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/

You'll just have to search through it

"Damn you people. Go back to your shanties." --- Shooter McGavin

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  01:36:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

It is a very good site about science where some of the stupid questions people have (such as, "Why is the fluff in my belly button mostly blue")

Stupid questions? Gee, that's not a very encouraging attitude. I hope you are not a teacher.
And, the fluff is blue? Mine is purple and sometimes yellow, wonder what that's all about?

Go to Top of Page

steinhenge
Skeptic Friend

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  02:34:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit steinhenge's Homepage Send steinhenge a Private Message
quote:

Actually, this is true for a certain amount of the population. I am minutely allergic to dairy products (milk, cheese, whatever) and whenever I partake of such (more especially milk) I do get a might phlegmy. I suspect this is the origin of the "milk = phlegm" concept.

So yeah, true but conditional, and likely not terribly uncommon.

"Oh good, cookies"
Go to Top of Page

Garrette
SFN Regular

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  04:26:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Garrette a Yahoo! Message Send Garrette a Private Message
I have only anecdotal experience to add, but all my kids have dairy allergies. With the first one, we didn't know about it until he was a year old. Until then, he was constantly suffering from 'colds', stuffed up nose, and chronic ear infections (tubes at 6 months). A sudden discharge from his ears after his first birthday prompted an emergency room vist where the resident was the husband of an allergist. He suggested we completely eliminate all dairy products for one months as an experiment. We did. Within a week, all the problems were gone.

Scientific? No, but his health is much improved. He also seems to have built up a partial immunity so that we can allow some dairy like the occasional chocolate bar.

My kids still love me.
Go to Top of Page

dimossi
Skeptic Friend

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  07:08:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit dimossi's Homepage  Send dimossi an AOL message Send dimossi a Private Message
Thanks to all that have responded so far. It still seems amazing to me that this seems to be such a common belief, yet I can't seem to find any information on empirical evidence.

I was unable to find any adequate information at the healthcentral website. It is a great site otherwise. Also the site:
http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/
doesn't have searchable archives.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." [Carl Sagan]
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  15:23:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stupid questions? Gee, that's not a very encouraging attitude. I hope you are not a teacher.
And, the fluff is blue? Mine is purple and sometimes yellow, wonder what that's all about?

Why can't stupid questions be entertaining????

Stupid questions sometimes provide very interesting answers...

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  16:49:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I was unable to find any adequate information at the healthcentral website. It is a great site otherwise

Yes, the doctor is a really cool guy. You might try calling his show to ask that question. Or, maybe the site has a place to send an email.
I'd like to add this, and some will say it's a PETA thing but sounds good to me, that is...... Cows milk is for cows, etc., etc. So how or why anyone would think it's good for humans is a mystery unless you consider that it's Dairy Association propoganda.

Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  18:53:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
www.google.com to the rescue! I seem to be able to find just about anything with this site, I highly recommend it.

A search for "milk phlegm" turned this up as the second link:

http://www.nutrition.org.uk/News/pressinformation/milk2.htm

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  18:59:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

I'd like to add this, and some will say it's a PETA thing but sounds good to me, that is...... Cows milk is for cows, etc., etc. So how or why anyone would think it's good for humans is a mystery unless you consider that it's Dairy Association propoganda.

Funny you should say this... The first link that my google search returned mentioned how silly this idea is. I hope "it sounds good" isn't all it takes to convince you of things...

(In case you're lazy: http://www.osteofound.org/adv_policy/iof_statement.html )
------------

Sum Ergo Cogito

Edited by - tokyodreamer on 12/17/2001 19:00:26
Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  20:01:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
For about a dozen years, I helped 'vocal coach' some of my high school students in the school's musicals...always told them not to drink milk or soda before rehearsal/performance, as coating the throat/vocal cords changed the timbre of their voices. Don't know about the phlegm aspect, but do know that their voices sounded clearer and truer to pitch if they drank only water.

"If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead."
Go to Top of Page

rickm
Skeptic Friend

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  21:58:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send rickm a Private Message
And here I am blaming my cigarettes for all that phlegm, when it was milk all along.

A friend of mine sang in a band and claimed that hot water helped his voice out.

Actually I have never heard of this before but being a smoker and a milk drinker the only time I experience phlegm is during a bad cold, as do most people.

But I can't help but remember a friend of mine drinking milk while laughing... get the picture.

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear." Norm
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  22:32:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I hope "it sounds good" isn't all it takes to convince you of things...

Sorry to smash your hopes but yeah! That's about it. I'm easy to please.

Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2001 :  06:53:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
I'm an avid milk drinker, and it does indeed seem to thicken saliva for a few minutes afterwards, which you can certainly feel in the back of your throat. No phlegm production though...

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.