The Anti-Ad
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  17:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Long before there was TiVo, there was this:

Radio News, September, 1930, pages 215, 285:

I don't think it really caught on though…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  18:21:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Neat gizmo! That must have been the first home entertainment remote control.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  19:33:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
When I was about eight, I helped my dad install a lamp-cord lightswitch on a 20-foot length of electrical cord which he then spliced into the speaker circuit of my grandparents' living-room TV set. He effectively and cheaply gave my grandparents a remote (though corded) mute button. It was used extensively to silence commercials during many episodes of M*A*S*H.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  02:12:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

When I was about eight, I helped my dad install a lamp-cord lightswitch on a 20-foot length of electrical cord which he then spliced into the speaker circuit ... was used extensively to silence commercials

Wow! My dad did the same thing, except it was back in the 60s when such shows as Dick Van Dyke and Twilight Zone were first on! He had a cord running from under the (black & white) TV ending in a switch. We'd click off commercials.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  05:23:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I guess it just wasn't until the 70s that my grandparent started complaining about having to listen to ads.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  07:42:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Anybody remember the first remote controls, back in the late fifties, early sixties, for high-end console TVs? They had, I think, ON/OFF, and channel cycling functions (maybe, but I think not, volume control, too). Two or three large buttons on 'em. And they communicated with the TV via an audible "plunking" tone. I think the controllers themselves were purely mechanical.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  10:00:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner...

Anybody remember the first remote controls, back in the late fifties, early sixties, for high-end console TVs? They had, I think, ON/OFF, and channel cycling functions (maybe, but I think not, volume control, too). Two or three large buttons on 'em. And they communicated with the TV via an audible "plunking" tone. I think the controllers themselves were purely mechanical.
My grandfather was one of those people who was always "first kid on the block". I'm sure he had a television before anyone in his neighborhood. He certainly had a color TV before anyone else. And yes, I remember that remote control from the 1960s. His television was a Zenith. The remote would turn the TV on or off, and cycle through the channels. I think it also turned the volume up or down in a very few rough stages.

I do recall when changing channels the remote obviously activated a small motor which was attached to the channel selector dial in the TV. Click the remote and hear an audible small motor hum as the channel changer rotates up one notch. Nothing like the solid state, infra-red, modern electronic things we use today.

The remote was probably three inches wide, an inch and a half thick, and over four inches long, huge and heavy by today's standards. Looking at it from the front there was a small metal screen, and behind that there were four (I believe) sort of tube looking things inside. It reminded me of a pitch pipe, the type used when tuning a violin. When a button was pushed, it seemed to trigger a spring of some sort, causing one of those metal tubes to be whacked in such a way that it generated a certain audio frequency signal. It reminded me of a sophisticated version of one of those little cricket clicker noise makers. Cool stuff for a curious eight year old kid to ponder.

My father wasn't as "state of the art" as my grandfather. He connected the cutoff switch to the television speaker, strung that fifteen feet of wire across the floor, and used that to mute the TV during the commercials. After having seen my grandfather's remote, I recall thinking how simple and crude that speaker switch was.
Edited by - GeeMack on 06/06/2006 14:48:48
Go to Top of Page

Stargirl
Skeptic Friend

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  14:03:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Stargirl a Private Message
Growing up in the fifties and sixties I remember not being allowed to play jacks when our parents were watching TV. That was because sometimes when we threw the jacks on the floor it would cause the TV to change channels or turn off the set. Dropping a set of keys on a hard surface would do the same thing.

Being children there were naturally times we couldn't resist doing it on purpose.

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  18:06:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I remember there was a time when you had one remote for your tv and one for your vcr, instead of the all-in-one remotes they have now. Does that count?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  18:22:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I remember there was a time when you had one remote for your tv and one for your vcr, instead of the all-in-one remotes they have now. Does that count?

They do? Man, I have to get one of those....

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  18:51:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Ads? What are these things you speak of?

I almost never watch live TV.... I make extensive use of the DVR so kindly provided by my local cable company for an extra $5/month.

The people who thought it would be a good idea to raise the broadcast volume of commercials are entirely to blame for such devices.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  02:33:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Not being particularly interested in the toob, my 'home entertainmrnt center' has always been a bit, well, primitive. I never had a remote until the early '80s. That one was on my first VCR, not a VHS, but the other one (mistake on my part -- what can I say; they were selling it cheap). That remote was on a wire some 15 feet or so long. I was, of course, delighted with this technology until I found that no one was making very many tapes to play in it. Within months, the machine crapped out and on the advice of someone who knew something about it, I bought a VHS.

The mute button is truly a wonderful feature.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  04:42:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

The people who thought it would be a good idea to raise the broadcast volume of commercials are entirely to blame for such devices.

My wife complains about this all the time, while I hardly notice it.

Note to self: Must get hearing check.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.