New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  14:57:00  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
LiveScience has run this article about the reasons reporters often screw up their stories about medical research -- especially those based upon material which has not yet been fully peer-reviewed:
quote:
Media Omit Basic Facts in Medical Reports
By Robert Roy Britt
LiveScience Managing Editor
posted: 15 June 2006
08:38 am ET

While much of what you read in the media about medical research is based on studies published in peer-reviewed journals, some of the most exciting work is discussed at medical conferences, where researchers share raw ideas that can range from future Nobel Prize material to total hooey.

Journalists sometimes go to these conferences looking for the interesting nuggets and a chance to report on potential breakthroughs before the competition.

But the media often omit basic facts in stories they report from professional medical conferences, a new study concludes.

"Scientific meetings are an important forum for researchers to exchange ideas and present work in progress. But much of the work presented is not ready for public consumption," said Lisa Schwartz, a Dartmouth Medical School associate professor. "The studies have undergone limited review and findings may change substantially by the time the final report is published in a medical journal." If it is ever published, that is.

The failures

In an email interview, Schwartz pointed out what most journalists already know: Studies presented at conferences often are not accompanied by adequate background information—such as a copy of an actual scientific paper—and writers are sometimes under strong pressure to file stories quickly.

Schwartz and colleague Steven Woloshin analyzed U.S. newspaper, TV and radio reports on research from five major scientific meetings. Their findings:

* Only 2 of 175 stories about unpublished studies noted that the study was unpublished.
* One-third of the articles failed to mention how many participants were in a study [studies with only a few test subjects are sometimes later refuted by larger studies].
* 40 percent of the reports did not quantify the main result of the research.
* Just one out of 17 news reports on animal studies noted that results might not apply to humans.

"Unless journalists are careful to provide basic study facts and highlight limitations, the public may be misled about the meaning, importance and validity of the research," Woloshin said.

Other risks

Of course studies that have been published in reputable journals sometimes turn out to be wrong, too.

A classic example occurred last year when Korean scientist Hwang Woo-suk claimed to have cloned human embryonic stem cells. The apparent breakthrough was reported in Science, one of the most prestigious journals on the planet. Turns out the scientist lied about the whole thing, and even researchers working on the project didn't know the results had been faked.

In general, however, reporters have a better opportunity to properly represent work that has been peer reviewed.

. . .

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  18:16:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
This is almost as ironic as the study which showed that study results aren't as trustworthy as many people think. The irony level would have been higher had Britt been reporting from a conference, but the "other risks" section gives a sufficient amount for me to meet my recommended daily amount of irony.

Seriously: interesting stuff. Thanks, HalfMooner.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  18:24:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

This is almost as ironic as the study which showed that study results aren't as trustworthy as many people think. The irony level would have been higher had Britt been reporting from a conference, but the "other risks" section gives a sufficient amount for me to meet my recommended daily amount of irony.

Seriously: interesting stuff. Thanks, HalfMooner.

Indeed, the irony was there all along, but I missed it, Dave. It's like a sociologist's study that concludes that all sociologists always lie.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  18:49:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
You know, for the first 38 years of my life, I was mostly an apartment or condo dweller, or had little interest in the garbage (or in irony). Now that I'm older and living in - and maintaining - a townhouse, I look at the cheap-ass garbage cans I bought two years ago, see that they're developing holes in the bottoms and the wheels are threatening to stop turning, and I'm filled with dread at the thought of trying to throw them out.

And, I've seen video tape of a fire truck that was on fire.

But enough of irony. Sorry for the hijack.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.