New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  11:09:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Duh!, Robert Mugabe and Pat Roberson are tied for Best Person on the Planet.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  13:46:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Dogs have a higher number of base-pairs in their DNA (than humans), and our domestication and breeding of them (the great variations of breeds), is evidence of their superior adaptability.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  16:01:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Dogs have a higher number of base-pairs in their DNA (than humans), and our domestication and breeding of them (the great variations of breeds), is evidence of their superior adaptability.

My theory is that dogs have bred us, encouraging our sense of charity and our social skills.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

bort

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  20:13:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit bort's Homepage Send bort a Private Message
My answer would be that all species are advanced to the same degree. After all, didn't we all come from the same ancestor at the same time? If I was forced to name a species, I would say it would be humans. We have more control over our environment and our health than any other. As far as physical attributes, we are faster and stronger than any other species living or dead.

So, I vote for the home team.

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion." - most likely L.Ron Hubbard
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  21:21:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Hello Bort, and welcome to Skeptic Friends Network!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  22:03:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
bort said:

quote:
As far as physical attributes, we are faster and stronger than any other species living or dead.

You are faster than a cheeta or stronger than an elephant? Wow.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  05:07:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
You are faster than a cheeta or stronger than an elephant? Wow.

Yes, we are, when we utilize our tools.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  05:53:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Yes, we are, when we utilize our tools.

The comment was with regard to physical attributes.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  06:28:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I read it the same way as furshur. Just because we go about getting fast and strong in a different way, doesn't mean it doesn't count.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  15:27:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Humans weren't even the first mammals to go into space. How could we possibly be the most advanced?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  15:38:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

Humans weren't even the first mammals to go into space. How could we possibly be the most advanced?

Ah, but we were the first to return alive! (Poor Laika.)

Laika, shown here in a harness, died
from stress and overheating several
hours after being launched into space.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  10:30:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Actually the bacteria in Laika made it back just fine Im sure. Hell Bacteria dont even need a rocket, just wait for a large asteroid to kick up some rocks into orbit... They were spacefarers a billion years before we were.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  14:53:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Actually the bacteria in Laika made it back just fine Im sure. Hell Bacteria dont even need a rocket, just wait for a large asteroid to kick up some rocks into orbit... They were spacefarers a billion years before we were.

But vanishingly few bacteria are mammals, so they don't count.

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  04:10:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I read it the same way as furshur. Just because we go about getting fast and strong in a different way, doesn't mean it doesn't count.

This, I think, is the main problem of an unspecified 'advanced'. As is apparant in the thread on christianforums and is already apparant after two pages here, you need a specifier. Are we talking about abilities? Or maybe suvival? Or maybe purely on physical structure? All specifiers will give different answers and even if the answers are the same, the reasoning behind it will be very different.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  00:10:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Yeah, and they can lick their own balls, bonus! But, then, they eat their own vomit, too. So it really does depend on the criteria used. I mean, would that be two pluses, or one plus and one minus?

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.