Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  14:23:10  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
... except for the alternative.

[Rambling, pointless, online gaming related posting alert!]

As a few of you may know, I waste spend much of my time playing the online role-playing games, City of Heroes and City of Villains (mostly the latter).

CoV play consists mainly of building up your super-villain in discreet missions, thus gaining experience and spendable "infamy" by clobbering innocents, defeating gangs, kidnapping scientists, robbing banks, and sometimes simply wrecking parking meters, police cars, etc. Yesterday, my character was hired by the Family to break a dockworkers strike.

For various reasons, I am not a "power player." First, I'm sixty. I've never had great keyboard dexterity or been a good multitasker. (Both of these qualities deteriorated even more a couple years ago when I had a stroke.) I take my time to plan each stage of a mission, and never hesitate to stop to rest myself or my characters. I actually enjoy a slow game.

Power players usually rush though missions in a blaze of gunfire, explosions, arcane spells, and energy blasts. There are so many special effects flying, often, it's nearly impossible to comprehend the action. Even the power players complain of this.

CoV requires a lot of tactical thinking, in a military sense. Though I am not a power player, I belong to one of the dominant super-villain groups, the Evil Graveyard Shift (in generic online gaming terms, such groups are called "clans."), and occasionally join other members of the super-group for massive missions involving many players. Some of us use TeamSpeak, an over-the-Internet voice communication service that greatly helps us to communicate when fighting.

What strikes me about the way these blazing-fast missions go, is that they are done much more intelligently that one might expect for such rapid-fire actions. These players, mostly males in their twenties, think smart and fast. Their only pauses in game play are to rest their characters. Their capabilities are so beyond me. Yet these players not only tolerate my slow ass in their company, they have come to my aid repeatedly, as they do for other super-group members. Mutual aid is a striking hallmark of our super-group.

Last night while chatting via TeamSpeak with others in the group, the yawning gap of two generations separating me from my Evil Graveyard Shift comrades was highlighted. One guy was semi-jokingly chiding another for being the kind of mission leader who gets his teammates slaughtered. I chimed in with, "So, he's the General Westmoreland of City of Villains?" Silence. I had to explain the reference, that William Westmoreland was the general who was in charge of the Vietnam fiasco. (I tend to think of Vietnam as being recent history.)

It also gets weird in other ways. Last night my daughter had joined the super-group with her main character, a male Brute named Saun. I was running my female Mastermind character, Prybar, who has five mercenaries to help her. One of the richer player characters in the super-group gave Prybar a whole lot of online "infamy" currency, so I could buy her superior "enhancements" to strengthen Prybar's powers. After getting much more currency that I'd expected, I remarked over TeamSpeak, "Thank you! You've made me a very rich woman!" Thing is, I hadn't meant that ironically, it just flew, forever after free, from my mouth. I had never before, and I expect I shall probably never again, uttered such a sentence. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  14:55:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
No worries, 'Mooner, you're way ahead of me. I am so inept that even though I own CoH and am a huge fan of super-hero games (e.g. Freedom Force). But even the thought of being all on-line and tech-saavy ("TeamSpeak"?!?) makes me sad, as I have no idea what do with that stuff. So CoH sits (despite constant emails offering free time to play), and I stick with my more introverted, less techish games...
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  15:07:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Cune, if you have Google Talk, and would consider trying CoV or CoH, I'd be happy to guide you, via voice, through starting up.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  16:19:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Cune, if you have Google Talk, and would consider trying CoV or CoH, I'd be happy to guide you, via voice, through starting up.
So what's Google Talk? I guess I can find it discussed on the Google homepage? I imagine I'll need a microphone type thing, right? Are they expensive? Any recommednations for what to get?
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  16:20:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

No worries, 'Mooner, you're way ahead of me. I am so inept that even though I own CoH and am a huge fan of super-hero games (e.g. Freedom Force), I still don't play it. Even the thought of being all on-line and tech-saavy ("TeamSpeak"?!?) makes me sad, as I have no idea what do with that stuff. So CoH sits (despite constant emails offering free time to play), and I stick with my more introverted, less techish games...

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  18:15:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

So what's Google Talk? I guess I can find it discussed on the Google homepage? I imagine I'll need a microphone type thing, right? Are they expensive? Any recommednations for what to get?

Google Talk is free, and is an instant text messenger as well as a voice service. You can sign up for it via the Google homepage. You can call anyone else who has it, and they can pick up online. It's surprising how good the voices sound. Yup, a mic is required, and a way to hear. I'd recommend a cheap computer headset. I've got an inexpensive Plantronics headset that works fine.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  23:45:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I know my son chats with people as he plays. The whole group can be on voice chat at the same time. I'll have to ask him what he thinks of CoV and CoH now that he's done with WoW. I think I told you he sold his character for $720.oo. That still boggles my mind. Apparently the purchaser is real happy. He gave us good feedback on Ebay anyway.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  03:07:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I know my son chats with people as he plays. The whole group can be on voice chat at the same time. I'll have to ask him what he thinks of CoV and CoH now that he's done with WoW. I think I told you he sold his character for $720.oo. That still boggles my mind. Apparently the purchaser is real happy. He gave us good feedback on Ebay anyway.

That's wonderful that your son made that kind of money from selling his character! If your son goes into CoV, ask that he consider a character on the "Protector" server, where the Evil Graveyard Shift and I hang out. I'm sure we'd be happy to help him get started.

CoH and CoV are very different from WoW. The "City of" games are buggier, for one thing, and the artwork is not as pretty or as consistent. Also, the smooth ("streaming") movement one normally has from place to place in WoW is not there in CoH/CoV. But the games really excel in making a customized superhero or supervillain, and in combat complexity. You can create dozens of characters. Once over the culture shock, your son may love the "City of" games.

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  06:34:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:

But the WoW expansion is going to be out soon!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  12:30:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I think he just played himself out, wooly. Actually I'm glad to know game addictions are likely self limiting.

He said CoV and CoH are not his cup of tea, HM. (His word was boring.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  13:18:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

I think he just played himself out, wooly. Actually I'm glad to know game addictions are likely self limiting.

He said CoV and CoH are not his cup of tea, HM. (His word was boring.)

No problem. I presume he's tried the games on a friend's account. Tastes vary, and vary by time. I've been bored from time to time in CoH/CoV myself, though not since Release 7.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.