Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  20:23:10  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
This thread is for posting comments about the SFN article “A Brief History of the Skeptic Friends Network.” Please try to keep posts on topic. Only registered users may post comments.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  22:43:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'd just like to note that I've been nagging Kil for two years, seven months and 24 days to write us this sort of history, and I'd just like to give him a big

THANK YOU

for doing so.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  22:52:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Typical gestation period for this sort of article…

You're welcome!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  22:55:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
"Typical?" How many of "this sort of article" have you written?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  22:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

"Typical?" How many of "this sort of article" have you written?

Well... Now we know!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  23:40:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Typical gestation period for this sort of article…

By that, you mean you need enough time to forget what actually happened in order to make up a more entertaining series of events. Right?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  08:51:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Is Snake the only original AOL member that is still here and is still an AOL subscriber?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  12:08:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

Is Snake the only original AOL member that is still here and is still an AOL subscriber?

I have an AOL account. So does froydnslp (Michelle) and probably a few others. @tomic may still have an AOL account too. There may be others. I don't access SFN from AOL though.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  16:27:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
Good stuff Kil.

Out of curiosity, were you, or anyone else for that matter, partakers of the dial-up BBS phenomenon?

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  16:31:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Good stuff Kil.

Out of curiosity, were you, or anyone else for that matter, partakers of the dial-up BBS phenomenon?

I wasn't. I know people who were though.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  19:36:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Good stuff Kil.

I was. Great stuff, eh?
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  22:32:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
Hehehe. BBSs. I remember them well. I was part of some empire building gaming leagues between BBSs.
I also remember using a freenet service here in Saskatoon, The Saskatoon Free-Net or, yes, SFN. Every time I see SFN on these pages, I have to stop myself from thinking S'toon Free-Net.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  02:44:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
It was nice reading about the history of this place. I checked my profile and realised that I have actually been a member for over 5 years. This, incidentally, also made me realise that the article didn't contain a single date. I know you are a busy man Kil, but do you think you could add some rough estimates of the "when-abouts" of some key events (he says quivering like a frightened dog)?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  06:07:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks
This, incidentally, also made me realise that the article didn't contain a single date. I know you are a busy man Kil, but do you think you could add some rough estimates of the "when-abouts" of some key events (he says quivering like a frightened dog)?

I too noted the absense of dates.
My use of internet predates the www-boom in 94-95 by a few years. It started with usenet- and e-mail in 92. When did AOL start its business? The graphic web browser on UNIX systems in 93 was Mosaic, to be replaced by Netscape in 94.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  19:42:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Well, I suppose I should do a date edit because more than one person has mentioned it. I kinda thought that my description of what was going on with the web and such would pretty much tip off approximate dates. Thing is, I wrote the history from memory and the truth is, I don't really remember the dates exactly. Only sorta-kinda-maybe. I can probably get closer by asking @tomic

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  20:21:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thank you folks so much for creating this wonderful site, and thank you, kil for writing its history (so far)!

quote:

Good stuff Kil.

I ran a BBS in the 80's, "tsunami b b s," which was a hangout for digital graphic artists. I proposed the design of a graphics format that could be read by differing computers. I also coined the term, "eye-candy."

"tsunami b b s" ran on an Atari 800, with four floppy drives and a phone line dedicated to a 2400 baud modem.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/26/2006 20:23:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.