New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  14:01:14  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
This weekend I will be visiting one of the scariest palces on earth. At least according to an episode of the ABC show “The Scariest Places On Earth” from a few years back. Its a somewhat run-down plantation house along the Mississippi River near New Orleans. According to ABC, during the Civil War a Union General used it as a prison, and killed many confederate prisoners there. He was ultimately poisoned to death by the voodoo-practicing inmate cooks. Their ghosts haunt it to this day. The house has been abandoned for decades because of the haunting, the owner living in a trailer on the property rather than in the house because it's just too scary. One particularly haunted room is sealed off with wax around the doors and windows to keep the spirits in. At night, gray misty things float across the kitchen floor. In the basement, voodoo implements can still be found. I know this because I had a printout from the shows website for that episode: “The House on Magnolia Lane”. And ABC wouldn't lie, would they? Well…

I just so happen to know a woman who was raised in that house and she was quite surprised to find it listed as one of the scariest places on earth. The house is owned by a group of relatives who are responsible for its upkeep. The trailer on the property is an office for some business or other that her Uncle runs, and no one lives there because it's so run-down. The sealed-off-with-wax room was hers, and she recalls nothing unusual. The voodoo implements were never there when she lived at the house, and while a Union General did live there during the war, it was not a prison and he did not die there. Lets just say her Uncle has an active imagination and a flair for marketing. He often rents out the house for movies, commercials, TV shows and the like.

Anyway, I'll report back just in case I notice anything. (I'm just hoping that she's not in reality a voodoo priestess and I am being lured there to be turned into a zombie. Hey, It could happen).

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  15:02:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
Cool.

Of course, if we don't hear from you for a while, we'll take it as concrete proof of otherworldly happenings!

If we do hear from you again, we may notice a slight change in the tone of your postings, obviously solid evidence that you've been possessed by a spirit now beginning to spread it's evil, starting by posting at SFN.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 06/26/2006 15:04:16
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  21:53:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message
quote:
One particularly haunted room is sealed off with wax around the doors and windows to keep the spirits in.
Yeah, let us know if the wax really holds them in, okay? That might come in useful some day.

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  10:40:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Probably just a toilet overflow no one wanted to clean up.

Just why are ghosts supposed to be scary anyway? I'd love to see a real one. I'd love to stay there. We went to the Manressa Castle here after it was featured on Sightings. I took the room comment book and one from another supposedly haunted room to the local copy center and copied both books before returning them. I think they make great fork lore records.

The real scariest places on Earth right now are probably Sierra Leone and Baghdad.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 06/27/2006 10:43:49
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  14:17:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
My vote for the scariest place on earth has to be the White House.

The Executive Mansion has become a dark, ghost-haunted place, where benighted men chant to invoke the spirit of a long-dead prophet as they plan deadly, evil deeds. The cloying effects of this spirit reduces the intelligence of these already profoundly stupid men to the point that they become little better than mad, gibbering, ravening beasts. They rave and sputter nonsensical utterances that they themselves think are words of wisdom. And the reach of their spirit-ridden evil has extended to grasp at the soul of the land, spreading death and ignorance. This evil reaches beyond, around the orb of the earth itself, bringing murder and chaos even to the cradle of human civilization.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.