15831 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  14:08:45  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
This'll be cool, once it's in production:
quote:
Phone or iPod Run New Pocket-size Projector
By Bill Christensen

posted: 03 July 2006
03:48 pm ET

The Explay nano-projector engine, a matchbook-sized projector, has been successfully tested. Science fiction Grandmaster Jack Vance would be pleased.

The display is under development by Kopin Corporation in cooperation with ExPlay. Kopin provides microdisplays for military and industrial buyers; ExPlay specializes in the consumer market. Dr. Bor-Yeu Tsaur, Kopins executive VP for display operations explains:

"A key requirement for a nano-projector is high brightness at low power consumption. We have engineered the display pixel technology to increase the effective optical aperture and transmission, which significantly increases optical efficiency. We believe our proprietary compact, highly transmissive microdisplay combined with a unique optical engine technology from Explay should enable an ultra-compact nano-projector."

In addition to its small size, the ExPlay nano-projector is always focused, using its laser-based diffractive diffractive optical technology. The projected image can be as small as 7 inches diagonally, or as large as 35 inches. The displays are in full color.

Science fiction writers have been specifying this device for more than a generation. In his 1971 novel The Anome, Jack Vance wrote about a mysterious Earthman (Ifness) who used a remarkable display device.

Ifness drew from his pocket a tube of dull black metal an inch in diameter, four inches long. Along the flattened top a number of knobs caught the light and glittered in Ifness' hand. He made an adjustment, pointed the tube at the wall beside Etzwane, and projected a cone of light.

Etzwane had never seen a photograph so detailed. He glimpsed several views of the Corporation Plaza, then Ifness made new adjustments, sending a thousand images flickering against the wall.

. . .

I love this small ExPlay projector: when can I have one for my camera (to show pictures immediately), for my daughter's iPod (that's one tiny screen—if I paid for the video content with allowance money, I should get to see it, right?) and for other stuff I haven't even thought of yet. No word yet on when this prototype device will be available for the consumer market.

. . .

Phone accessory powered by Explay's
nano-projector engine. Credit: Business Wire

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  14:34:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I don't know... That picture looks manipulated. The phone display looks too crisp.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  14:42:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Oh, that's clearly a fake image, to show what the finished product might look like. The real prototype is probably ugly as sin, covered in cables, and has exposed electrical components.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.