Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  03:06:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Oh, great insight, Filthy! I'd not thought about that wonderful little problem. But happily for these loonies (who are being called "archaeologists" with a straight face by the media), there is no significant carbon in their basalt Ark for them to worry about dating. I know these guys are fake archaeologists, not fake geologists, but even so, doesn't it seem odd that every last one of them mistook stone for wood?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/04/2006 03:07:46
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  04:14:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Oh, great insight, Filthy! I'd not thought about that wonderful little problem. But happily for these loonies (who are being called "archaeologists" with a straight face by the media), there is no significant carbon in their basalt Ark for them to worry about dating. I know these guys are fake archaeologists, not fake geologists, but even so, doesn't it seem odd that every last one of them mistook stone for wood?

"All lies in jest,
For a man hears what he wants to hear,
And disregards the rest......
"

Happens all the time. It is much easier to enhance a preconceived notion than to reach a studied conclusion, and so, we get inundated with bullshit from well-spoken cretins trying to support the unsupportable. To my amusement....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  05:32:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Why, with C-14 dating techniques, of course. There is really no other way to do it. Can't be done archaeologically, because, remember, the Flood destroyed everything whilst in the process of laying down the fossil record, and all construction would have taken place sometime long afterward due to a lack of material and personnel.

Or, you could make a replica and try and get 2 of each animal on the boat.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  05:58:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Or, you could make a replica and try and get 2 of each animal on the boat

Absolutely!!!! Maybe bibleland, Hovind, or one of those types could prove us all wrong by building an exact replica, populating it with the animals mentioned in the bible, then putting it to sea for 40 days. Just to see....

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  07:55:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

Straight from the hole of the asp, complete with pictures.
http://www.arkfever.com/

Walt Disney should have their imagination.

Evidence? You want evidence?

quote:
Mary Irwin, wife of late Apollo 15 astronaut Jim Irwin, viewed the evidence and stated that it was “compelling and certainly could be the actual Ark of Noah.”

That's good enough for me. Definitely must be the ark.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  13:40:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
While there is some basalt that looks like petrified wood, up close it's a no brainer. Sheesh. I couldn't find a good example on Google images but I did find these:

One section of the basalt in this roadcut looked similar to petrified wood.

black and white of Mar's basalt that looks like petrified wood

color photo, basalt that looks like wood is in lower right

brief discussion
quote:
"Sushis" Rock with Mysterious Square Hole: Likely just a piece of basalt debris like everything else around the Gusev Crater. Spirit sol 014. It has an unusual and different shape, extruded somehow?, and colour than the rocks around it.
/2/p/014/2P127604438EFF0309P2543R3M1.
NASA Press Release Colour Photo.
Enlarged well-done colour image. From "Majic" in the Netherlands.
Colour analysis comparing the basalt to a piece of petrified wood. Posted by "Phobos", Watford England from the "Bad Astronomy" Board. Petrified wood usually doesn't have a square hole. Geodes are usually round.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  01:48:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:

Absolutely!!!! Maybe bibleland, Hovind, or one of those types could prove us all wrong by building an exact replica, populating it with the animals mentioned in the bible, then putting it to sea for 40 days. Just to see....

I will even help. Free of charge[1]. It'll be fun!

[1] Please build it in Sydney fundies, I cannot afford air fair or accommodation to/in the US.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  06:16:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
There is no reason to presume that wood, under the proper conditions -- cool, dry, no insects -- could not survive for many thousands of years. Otzi, a much less durable entity, certainly has.

Not to mention the 'soft tissue' residue in 65 myo T. rex bones.

If I recall right, the tops of those Mid-East mountains have the right conditions. That being the case, we got to get wood when we find the Ark!

Bring me a treenail (pronounced: 'trunnel') of the proper age for the Ark, and dimension for a vessel that size, verified by an independent, scientific organization, and you might get me to seriously consider it. The 'nail -- they're made of wood -- would prove that such a barge could be built in the Bronze age.

But I fear that it just ain't on. That treenail would have to be as big around as my forearm and probably a couple of feet long to hold the framing together, and there would have to have been a lot of them.

I'd like to see the Bronze Age bit that cut the holes for them....

Unless, of course (arkophiles, I'm giving you an out, here. Free of charge), gopher wood has some mysterious properties of which I have not been made aware.

But, it's all good fun to pick apart the myth(s). Consider; if the Noah story didn't exist, it's place might be taken by something requiring even greater leaps of faith to believe. Wouldn't mind seeing one of those....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  08:14:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

But I fear that it just ain't on. That treenail would have to be as big around as my forearm and probably a couple of feet long to hold the framing together, and there would have to have been a lot of them.
Percy & Small in Maine apparently "used approximately 26,000 to 42,000 treenails per schooner," depending on the ship's size (each one being between 14 and 30 inches long, and 1.25 inches in diameter). According to the Maritime History Virtual Archives, Percy & Small built a huge six-masted schooner in 1900. I would guess with somewhere around 42,000 treenails. The Eleanor A. Percy, however, would only have been 215 cubits by 33 cubits by 17 cubits or thereabouts. Much smaller than the 300 by 50 by 30 cubits of Genesis 6:15.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  09:15:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

Percy & Small in Maine apparently "used approximately 26,000 to 42,000 treenails per schooner," depending on the ship's size (each one being between 14 and 30 inches long, and 1.25 inches in diameter). According to the Maritime History Virtual Archives, Percy & Small built a huge six-masted schooner in 1900. I would guess with somewhere around 42,000 treenails. The Eleanor A. Percy, however, would only have been 215 cubits by 33 cubits by 17 cubits or thereabouts. Much smaller than the 300 by 50 by 30 cubits of Genesis 6:15.

Indeed, indeed. And the ship's timbers would have to be correspondingly massive to bear the stress' at sea on such a hull. My estimate might be on the small side.

To hell with the drill bit; I'd like to know how they might have cut the treenails! You don't just whittle them out; they have to fit their holes to a pretty close tolerance. And they are hardwood.

I do not believe that, in the esteemed Noah's times, the state of the shipbuilders art had anything like the perfection required for such a construct. If fact, I rather doubt that an exact, working replica with the required specifications could be built today (of course it couldn't. We've already covered that lame turkey to exhaustion).

But none of this will deter the True Believer(tm) in the least. They see or read of a shadow on the north face of a mountain, or hear the all-but-hysterical blithering of this bunch:
quote:
"I can't imagine what it could be if it is not the Ark," said Arch Bonnema of the Bible Archaeology Search and Exploration (B.A.S.E) Institute, a Christian archeology organization dedicated to looking for biblical artifacts.

et al, and that is good enough for them.

But, as the above-mentioned blitherers hiked to the site, why did they not bring out a piece or two? A chunk of it showing broad axe and adze marks, or with a section of a treenail through it, would go far in supporting their story. Even a few photos -- in focus photos, dammit! -- would encourage further examination.

Don't these characters ever think before they shout? Or have I missed something....?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  15:09:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I think, Filthy, that these so-called "archaeologists" probably know very well, in at least a firewalled part of their brains, that what they have found is not Noah's Ark, and is not even wood. These guys are using "doublethink," which paradoxically allows them to both be liars and deluded at the same time.

The key is, they are lying for a greater good, in the defense of their God. I think they truly believe the fundy mantra that Christians are being widely persecuted and on the wane in a secular America. (In this, I think, they are more deluded than lying. Ask anyone here if Christianity or mystical thinking in general is on the ropes in America!) So, in their desperation, they carefully bring back no specimens, take blurry photographs, and come up with weasel words like, "I can't imagine what it could be if it is not the Ark," and "But when we got close, we were amazed. It looked similar to wood," and "It is provocative to think that this could be the lost ark of Noah."

Note that, all the while promoting that very idea, they never actually say that they found Noah's Ark.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/05/2006 15:36:54
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  16:30:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:

I will even help. Free of charge[1]. It'll be fun!

[1] Please build it in Sydney fundies, I cannot afford air fair or accommodation to/in the US.

Hey ho, another Sydney-sider. Count me in too. Do you want to bring the chips or the beer?

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  16:53:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
I believe filthy has linked to these guys in the past. They are already attempting to reconstruct Noah's ark according to the biblical dimensions, except for some strange reason they are constructing it on dry land as a building using concrete forms and steel beams. I guess they have zero confidence that such a structure could ever float, or be built without resorting to modern materials.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/05/2006 16:54:28
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  17:11:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

I believe filthy has linked to these guys in the past. They are already attempting to reconstruct Noah's ark according to the biblical dimensions, except for some strange reason they are constructing it on dry land as a building using concrete forms and steel beams. I guess they have zero confidence that such a structure could ever float, or be built without resorting to modern materials.

Thanks, H.H.! The hilarity of this makes my day. Wouldn't it be funny if local flooding someday hit that thing and wrecked it?

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  18:43:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Do you think we'll see anything in the news when the rock analysis is back.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.