Tech help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  20:35:42  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Hey all--

So I've been using my school's web-based email for a few years now. However, for various reasons I decided to start using Mozilla's Thunderbird email client. The idea was to use Thunderbird to pull emails from my web-based email so I could read them on my machine. However, I didn't want it to delete the emails from the web-based server-- there are times when I don't have my computer and will want to have old emails saved on my inbox to read and use.

So how do I fix Thunderbird so it doesn't pull and delete emails from my web-based email account? I know other people who can do this, so why can't I?

And as important-- is there a way to put back all the emails that were pulled from my web-based email onto my computer? I really would hate for them to be gone from that server forever!!

HELP!

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  21:44:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist
So how do I fix Thunderbird so it doesn't pull and delete emails from my web-based email account? I know other people who can do this, so why can't I?

This bit is easy:

Tools menu > Account Settings
Select the email account (if you have more than one)
Select "Server Settings" from the tree list.
Check the "leave messages on server" option.
(Leave the two sub-options un-checked if you want them to stay "forever")
Robert's your father's brother.

quote:
And as important-- is there a way to put back all the emails that were pulled from my web-based email onto my computer? I really would hate for them to be gone from that server forever!!

This is a little trickier. You may have to forward them to yourself. Make sure you forward them as attachments, that way you preserve the original sender/recipient. Whether or not you'll be able to manipuate the attached messages into folders and such will depend on the features of your webmail client. I suspect you may be not be able to do this.

Might I suggest you use something like gmail from Google. It's a nice interface as far as webmail goes and has options for allowing you to auto archive (but not remove) emails retrieved by POP, like Thunderbird. You can also set it up to check other accounts. Let me know if you need an invitation for gmail. You can PM/email me if you like.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  04:49:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

quote:

This bit is easy:

Tools menu > Account Settings
Select the email account (if you have more than one)
Select "Server Settings" from the tree list.
Check the "leave messages on server" option.
(Leave the two sub-options un-checked if you want them to stay "forever")
Robert's your father's brother.

Thanks JohnOAS. I got the first part done, so that's working. And my father had two brothers, neither of whom was named Robert.

quote:

This is a little trickier. You may have to forward them to yourself. Make sure you forward them as attachments, that way you preserve the original sender/recipient. Whether or not you'll be able to manipuate the attached messages into folders and such will depend on the features of your webmail client. I suspect you may be not be able to do this.

Might I suggest you use something like gmail from Google. It's a nice interface as far as webmail goes and has options for allowing you to auto archive (but not remove) emails retrieved by POP, like Thunderbird. You can also set it up to check other accounts. Let me know if you need an invitation for gmail. You can PM/email me if you like.
[/quote]

You might be right about me not getting the messages back, though. I do have a gmail account, but I don't use it much. I've had my universiy account for something like 6 years (ah, grad school!), so that's where most of my stuff is. I only got Thunderbird because this one stupid internet cafe where I often go to work/drink beer has a strange WiFi system and for whatever reason I can't check my university's webmail page from there. (But Yahoo, Gmail, etc. do work...)

I'll keep trying to figure something out, though. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  07:38:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
"Bob's your uncle" isn't particularly popular slang here in the USA, John.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  07:52:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Ah-- now I get it!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  12:18:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
First I've ever heard the term.
Hilarious, I put up the same link before seeing Cune's. We're all such Google babies.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/04/2006 12:20:48
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  16:56:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
You might be right about me not getting the messages back, though. I do have a gmail account, but I don't use it much. I've had my universiy account for something like 6 years (ah, grad school!), so that's where most of my stuff is. I only got Thunderbird because this one stupid internet cafe where I often go to work/drink beer has a strange WiFi system and for whatever reason I can't check my university's webmail page from there. (But Yahoo, Gmail, etc. do work...)

I should have known there'd be a tool for this.

If you've got everything you want to get into your webmail already in your Thunderbird folders, you can use "Google Mail LOader" to get them all into your gmail account and archive them from there.

The utility was written by Mark Lyon, whose page, including downloads and instruction links, is here.

If you'd like alternative instructions, here's another howto.

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  17:22:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

"Bob's your uncle" isn't particularly popular slang here in the USA, John.

I figured that'd be the case. I thought it was only fair to inject a bit of not-American lingo into the mix once in a while.

The etymology/linguistics lessons are an entirely free bonus bundled with the tech support. Yep, deadset gratis, not a single oxford scholar. Even you seppos ought to appreciate that.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  19:57:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

I figured that'd be the case. I thought it was only fair to inject a bit of not-American lingo into the mix once in a while.
Sure, sure.
quote:
The etymology/linguistics lessons are an entirely free bonus bundled with the tech support. Yep, deadset gratis, not a single oxford scholar. Even you seppos ought to appreciate that.
As soon as you can tell me - without looking it up - the etymology of "biro," a word that's flummoxed many who weren't born in Queen's-English-speaking countries.

By the way, one of the funniest "definitions" I've read was along the lines of "etymology/entymology: whichever one you pick is the wrong one." But that's still not as funny as "the easiest way to clear the room at a cocktail party is to say the word 'epistemology'."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  20:49:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
As soon as you can tell me - without looking it up - the etymology of "biro," a word that's flummoxed many who weren't born in Queen's-English-speaking countries.

Alright, I'll resist the urge to look it up, for now. In the mean time, I'll think real hard and maybe poll some workmates and see what I can come up with. For the moment, I'm thinking along the lines of the person/company who first built and/or marketed the thing. I believe it may be the same reason for the "Bic" name, although I don't think that's the proper name either.

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  22:18:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Got it in one!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.