Fakery in Moscow
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  08:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
From today's Los Angeles Times:

Forging Ahead in Moscow

quote:
Want to buy a fake vacation, medical degree or 'Siberian purebred' alley cat? Anything's possible, as long as you don't care if it's real.
quote:
The Ministry of Economic Development and Trade has estimated that 50% of all consumer goods sold in Russia are fake; the counterfeit trade, Minister German O. Gref announced in January, has reached $4 billion to $6 billion a year — no one knows exactly, because the books are cooked.

What is interesting is fakery has become so much a part of the culture there that it is not just taken for granted, but is often seen as a way to keep prices down…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  09:14:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

From today's Los Angeles Times:

Forging Ahead in Moscow

quote:
Want to buy a fake vacation, medical degree or 'Siberian purebred' alley cat? Anything's possible, as long as you don't care if it's real.
quote:
The Ministry of Economic Development and Trade has estimated that 50% of all consumer goods sold in Russia are fake; the counterfeit trade, Minister German O. Gref announced in January, has reached $4 billion to $6 billion a year — no one knows exactly, because the books are cooked.

What is interesting is fakery has become so much a part of the culture there that it is not just taken for granted, but is often seen as a way to keep prices down…

Does this mean that my Russian bride might not be from Russia? Damnit!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  21:44:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Gee, and here we only have false advertising here.

Some different methods used in false advertising:

Going out of business/bankruptcy sales when in reality the business has no plans on closing its store or going out of business.

Advertising "Maine Lobsters" when in fact the lobster is from the Pacific ocean.

Inflate the "regular" price in order to create the impression that the sale price is very low.

The Alien Autopsy

Kevin Trudeau

FTC dietary supplement fraudulent claims cases

more cases

etc.

BTW, I am not being sarcastic about posting the article. Thanks for the link, it is an important issue. It reminded me of the system of paying bribes in Mexico then coming home and paying the airport tax and camping fee and so on. I realize it differs whose pocket the money goes directly into, but still there was some, "Pot, meet Kettle". I think there is some, "Pot, meet Kettle" here too. Funny how we see a fake designer label but don't notice the alcohol content in Listerine doesn't qualify as an antiseptic.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/11/2006 22:04:28
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  08:59:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
beskeptigal:
BTW, I am not being sarcastic about posting the article. Thanks for the link, it is an important issue. It reminded me of the system of paying bribes in Mexico then coming home and paying the airport tax and camping fee and so on. I realize it differs whose pocket the money goes directly into, but still there was some, "Pot, meet Kettle". I think there is some, "Pot, meet Kettle" here too. Funny how we see a fake designer label but don't notice the alcohol content in Listerine doesn't qualify as an antiseptic.

Of course your right beskeptigal. The difference, it seems to me, is that while we know we are being ripped off, we don't like it. Or, at least, we would never admit to liking the idea of being had. The problem has become so pervasive in Russia that there is a tacit acceptance by the people as it has become a large part of their personal economy.
quote:
from article:
Every Russian must ford a river of flimflam, much of which is tolerated because it makes everyone's life, for the most part, cheaper and more manageable than the real thing.

That is the part that struck me. While we may tolerate a lot of things, and be stupid about a lot of things, while we may be credulous to a fault, in Russia, it seems that the average citizen is fine with being deceived as long as it saves them some money.

Here, most people would be upset to find they have purchased a fake. “Too good to be true” doesn't register for many people, but they would still be angry if they learned that they were stupid enough to fall for the scam. In Russia, tell them that the purchase is a fake and you might get as a reply “and your point is?”

It's difficult enough being a skeptic here. Imagine what it's like being a skeptic in Russia!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  12:21:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I wonder if the underlying attitude is stealing a copyright is just stealing from the rich? As long as the copy is as good as or close to the original, I can see it not bothering anyone to pay less. Ever buy a bootleg album or DVD or download that free tune?
Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/12/2006 12:22:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.