Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  10:47:13  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
http://www.courttv.com/people/2006/0710/ann_coulter_ap.html

Regardless of the outcome, I suspect no lasting damage to her reputation. As the article says:

"Coulter's career has rarely suffered despite numerous questions about her accuracy ..."

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  11:16:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by leoofno

http://www.courttv.com/people/2006/0710/ann_coulter_ap.html

Regardless of the outcome, I suspect no lasting damage to her reputation. As the article says:

"Coulter's career has rarely suffered despite numerous questions about her accuracy ..."

Nah. She'll come out of it in better shape than she went in. Coulter thrives on this sort of thing. It enhances her reputation as a conservative gadfly with the easily led portion of the population that make up her main audience. Her syndicate will make brave noises of investigation, find all evidence of plagarism refuted by foot and endnotes, and sales to the ignorant will continue to flourish.

Somewhere there is a Too Far line that even the cretins that are her loyal supporters would balk at. She hasn't reached it... yet.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  13:38:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I think plagiarism is just the kind of little detail that could take the loathsome Miss Coulter down a peg or two. No matter how crazy her hateful ravings become, she has plenty of supporters who will continue to prop her up.

Mobster Al Capone had his army of gunmen, and had city officials on his payroll. Capone ran soup kitchens in many neighborhoods of Chicago to prop up his public relations. His supporters remained loyal to the end. But Capone's career ended when the little detail of tax evasion got him thrown into Alcatraz.

Coulter has been running wild for years, showing no restraint. Such people usually destroy themselves by their excesses. Publishers abhor plagiarism. This might be the little detail that brings Coulter down.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  14:09:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
She will continue to thrive.

The vermin who read, and agree with, her nonsense will continue to buy anything she sells.

And as long as people will buy it, some publisher will print her hate-filled diatribe.

It would take a major lawsuit that cost her and her publisher millions to even make her bother to check her facts or screen the work for plagarized content.

To make her lose her audience? I don't know what it would take for that to occur.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  15:32:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
To make her lose her audience? I don't know what it would take for that to occur.

Closet transexual communist who likes to eat live puppies while defacating on the Bible (NIV)....maybe.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 07/10/2006 15:33:40
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  22:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
If those are the only 2 paragraphs, and the second one isn't even close, the charges are bunk. If there are lots of examples, I hope she has to publicly apologize.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  03:42:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

If those are the only 2 paragraphs, and the second one isn't even close, the charges are bunk. If there are lots of examples, I hope she has to publicly apologize.

There are lots of examples. Lots of them! Many of them are word for word, and the Rude Pundit, who seems to have an especially engorged erection aimed in her direction, has archived many of them. The way he writes it, you'd almost think that much of her screeving was entirely cut & paste with little or no attribution whatsoever.

I don't much care, really -- she's not plagiarizing any of my shit and probably wouldn't understand most of it if she tried. She's fun to take a left-handed swing at now & again, but beyond that, like Limbaugh, et al., she's just more meaningless noise that can be nicely eradicated with the flick of a switch or a bank shot at the trash can.

In all truth, I find her amusing and her loyal audience even more so. She's a dilettante with bleach; a harridan in a training bra. Having no ethics herself, she firmly believes that no one else has any as well. She is too shrill to be the satirist she is sometimes portrayed as, and too shallow to be the cynic she imagines herself. If the chronically stupid hadn't made her wealthy, she would be little more than pathetic -- a street corner and a strain of penicillin could be named after her.

Pure and simple, plagiarism is theft. But as literary thieves go, she is a mere pickpocket and not a very skilled one. She uses a form of quote-mining and the quote-miners we occasionally get in here are better at it. If she were to give attribution for each and all, stolen paragraphs, her already tedious end-notes would run to lengths seldom seen even in scientific papers.

So, will these plagiarism charges stick? I rather doubt it. It would take a highly pissed-off author of some repute to initiate one gordo lawsuit to make the difference, and her theft, while wide-spread, is so petty that I don't see it happening. She filches from the courtesy penny bowl; taking many but leaving none. Scarcely worth a lawyer's time.

Will the charges damage her reputation in any way? Hardly, because her gaggle of fans are a version of True Believers(tm), and she has no reputation to soil with anyone else. And can you imagine the howls of persecution that would issue from those fans if indeed she were hauled into court? A pistol range during a 2,700 aggregate tournament would be less noisy.

Me, I'd like to see it come to pass -- Chaos ever draws me near -- but I fear I'll have to be content with getting a chuckle or two at her expense, now and again, and spewing a little vitriol of my own in her direction.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  12:16:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I think if it gets harped on enough it will damage her. I don't think she will be able to deflect this specific criticism like she can deflect criticism of her rude statements. Not if there are hundreds of examples.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  23:22:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
In case you've missed the latest:

Ann Coulter Fired by National Review Online, Hired by David Horowitz
quote:
By Brian Carnell

Thursday, October 4, 2001 [weird date typo, the top of the page is July 15, 06]

National Review Online's firing of columnist Ann Coulter took a bizarre turn today when David Horowitz hired her to write for FrontPageMag.Com. Like a true coward, Horowitz can't even be honest with his readers about the column that got Coulter fired from NRO.

The flap over Coulter's September 13 column is a fascinating look at the bizarre nature of conservative journalism. Much of her column is an ode to Barbara Olson, who died in the airplane that was flown into the Pentagon by terrorists.

At the end of her column, however, Coulter descends into the worst sort of war mongering. After mentioning the scenes of some people in Arab countries celebrating the terrorist attacks, Coulter writes,

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war.

Coulter turned in a second such vicious column at which point National Review Online decided to drop her column. Jonah Goldberg, the editor of National Review Online, told the Washington Post that, "We didn't feel we wanted to be associated with the comments expressed in those two columns."

The news is out: Horowitz Boycott.

Apparently this isn't a first. 2004; Media Matters: Coulter spiked from USA Today: Why was she hired in the first place?

Coulter's response to NY Post plagiarism charges: "How crappy a newspaper is the Post?"
quote:
Thu, Jul 6, 2006 10:48am EST; Media Matters

Summary: In her syndicated column, Ann Coulter appeared to respond to charges that her latest book and past columns contain several instances of plagiarism. Coulter wrote simply: "How crappy a newspaper is the Post? Let me put it this way: It's New York's second-crappiest paper."

Coulter did not actually deny the charge -- she did not even use the word "plagiarism" -- but instead guessed that "the Post's constant harassment" is "an attempt to shake me down for protection money," adding: "I have sold a LOT of books -- more books, come to think of it, than any writers at the New York Post."

Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  19:24:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
Yo:

I saw Coulter being interviewed on MSNBC last night: Donny Deutsch, or sumpin' like that. He's a turn off. Anyway, the few seconds I had the channel there, Coulter said Bill Clinton shows signs of latent homosexuality. With rhetoric like that going out to the Sancto-Nazis, this anorexic bitch could be videotaped blowing the encased cadaver of Nicolai Lenin and remain on the Super-Fundy/Neo-Non-Con Hit Parade.

There's sickness afoot.

YO!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  03:49:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Orwellingly Yurz

Yo:

I saw Coulter being interviewed on MSNBC last night: Donny Deutsch, or sumpin' like that. He's a turn off. Anyway, the few seconds I had the channel there, Coulter said Bill Clinton shows signs of latent homosexuality. With rhetoric like that going out to the Sancto-Nazis, this anorexic bitch could be videotaped blowing the encased cadaver of Nicolai Lenin and remain on the Super-Fundy/Neo-Non-Con Hit Parade.

There's sickness afoot.

YO!

I read about that.

Like an early morning discharge that causes excruciating urination, Coulter is a mere symptom rather than the actual disease. Several newspapers have dropped her including one here in NC just the other day. When the disease finally runs it's course, or receives treatment, the symptom will disappear and we can all piss in comfort again. At least until another dose comes along, as history tells us it surely will.

Got the new computer up and running at last.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Stargirl
Skeptic Friend

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  13:30:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Stargirl a Private Message
David Letterman talked about Coulters claim last night. He said yeah Clinton may have told Coulter he was gay so he would have an excuse for not going after her ugly, scrawny ass.
Anyway it was something along those lines.

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltaire
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.