Busheviks Posture Yet More For Mid-Term Elections
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  20:32:14  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
Just THIS In...

White House Blasts Clinton N.Korea Policy 10:35 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House belittled former President Clinton's policy of direct engagement with North Korea on Monday, saying efforts to shower North Korean leader Kim Jong Il ''with flowers and chocolates'' failed.

Orwellingly Yurz sez:

Hmmmm, looks like G. War Bush and his puppeteers are stroking the masses with another weapon of mass distraction.

This is to confuse us about the infamous line that our troops would be greeted with "flowers and chocolates" as they liberated the Iraqis who are now being occupied by our troops; that is when some Iraqis aren't being raped and subsquently murdered by soldiers obviously being driven mad by G. War Bush's "spreading of democracy."

oy

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  22:18:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Chocolate and flowers? Sheesh.

Kim Jung Il a truly scary SOB, but what is the USA supposed to do? Certainly the USA could take out the regime, but not without hundreds of thousands or even millions of casualties in Japan and South Korea. The US soldiers stationed on the DMZ are told they are a speed bump if anything serious were to go down, and Seoul is a 20 minute drive from there. North Korea's been beefing up its military for a long time, and they know it is their only card. They'll posture and make a big stink, but if NK actually takes any aggressive military action, they know they're toast.

I think Jung Il is just making noise now to get enough attention that it seems NK is under threat - then he reduces the chances of internal collapse or overthrow by having a foreign enemy to focus on. But there is no friggin' way NK is going to nuke the US or any other country. They aren't stupid or that crazy - such an action unprovoked would be pure suicide.

I don't know how much longer this stalemate can go on between NK and its neighbors/USA. Japan has been debating whether it would be unConstitutional for them to develop the military to launch a strike on NK's missle launch sites. (Unless they hit them all at once in a purely surprise attack, the response from NK would be devastating. What are the Japanese thinking!?) There's no damn easy solution and so it's already gone on for half a century. But I'd rather see it go on for another 50 years than watch NK blow the crap out of Seoul because the cowboy-President in Washington decides to be a tough guy.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  22:35:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.... but wasn't it on W's watch that N-Korea broke the seals on their plutonium and made a bomb?

That shit didn't happen when Clinton was president.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  23:04:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Dude, that's totally correct. Excellent point.

From a 2002 article in the Korea Herald (I can't link to it because it is in hard copy in my scrap book):
quote:
The terrorist attacks on Wasington and New York one year ago roused concerns in South Korea that the hard-won peace process on the Korean Puninsula might go up in smoke.

Tension gripped the peninsula, one of the last remaining Cold War frontiers, because of worries that North Korea, which still is on a U.S. list of states sponsoring terrorism, might be the next target in the U.S.-led war against terrorism.

But one year later, the security situation on the peninsula is showing signs of improvement as inter-Korean realations have been put back on track and the North and Japan are moving to normalize relations.
The article goes on to report about a "host of projects" between the two Koreas, such as a cross-border railway and more family reunions.

Then the U.S. invaded Iraq and started ignoring its diplomatic relations and promises to North Korea. From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea_nuclear_weapons_program

quote:
North Korea withdrew from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty in 2003 after not recieving the promised light water reactors which were going to be delivered by the United States of America in exchange for North Korea not developing their own powerplants.
That's about when some of our South Korean allies (mostly college students) started burning American flags.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 07/10/2006 23:06:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.