It's bad to be good luck if you're a vulture
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  13:33:02  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Vultures near extinction in South Africa
quote:
South Africa's national lottery is claiming an unlikely victim: vultures. Local people - convinced these birds' superb eyesight gives them the gift to see the future - are eating vulture meat to acquire the power of clairvoyance.

And they are not alone. In neighbouring Zimbabwe, voters fearful of supporting the losing side in recent elections ate vulture meat, mainly heads, talons, eyes and hearts, believing this would enable them to pick the winning party. Then there has been the rise of traditional medicines, for which vulture parts are highly valued, as well as soaring cases of poisoning and shootings by starving farmers in East and West Africa.

In addition, in south Asia over the past five years, the use of the painkiller diclofenac in cattle has wiped out three species of vulture and reduced the remaining two species to a few dozen pairs of breeding birds. The drug, it was discovered recently, destroys the birds' kidneys....

'In India the cow is sacred and cannot be eaten. So it was traditionally left to vultures to eat their corpses. Without vultures, packs of feral dogs have taken over.'

These packs are 'destroying livestock and wildlife, harassing people and sometimes spreading rabies and other diseases,' added Chris Bowden, a vulture expert with the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.

In addition, the Parsees of India, who leave their dead on 'towers of silence' to be picked clean by vultures, have had to develop alternatives....

Another strike against the human intelligence score.

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  13:55:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Is your "Hear it from the Troops themselves" link temporarily dead or fatally dead?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  14:25:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
This is very sad about the vulture extinctions, B. I hope that these are "merely" extinctions of the wild populations, and that there are captive specimens that could be bred and reintroduced, as was done with the California condor.

The turkey vultures in my neighborhood are doing well. A couple of months ago, I missed the last bus of the afternoon, and had to limp 2.5 miles home. As I was exhaustedly trekking along Highway 1, two of those unlovely beasts were standing in a field, about twelve feet away. They did not fly off, but turned their gazes on me as though trying to gauge just when I would drop. I've also seen as many as five turkey vultures perched together in eucalyptus trees here.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  23:59:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

Is your "Hear it from the Troops themselves" link temporarily dead or fatally dead?

They apparently changed the website name/address -> link now updated. Thanks for the heads up.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  00:02:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

This is very sad about the vulture extinctions, B. I hope that these are "merely" extinctions of the wild populations, and that there are captive specimens that could be bred and reintroduced, as was done with the California condor.

The turkey vultures in my neighborhood are doing well. A couple of months ago, I missed the last bus of the afternoon, and had to limp 2.5 miles home. As I was exhaustedly trekking along Highway 1, two of those unlovely beasts were standing in a field, about twelve feet away. They did not fly off, but turned their gazes on me as though trying to gauge just when I would drop. I've also seen as many as five turkey vultures perched together in eucalyptus trees here.

There are many left of various species in other countries. But who knows what the final result will be in S. Africa and nearby countries.

Bald Eagles recovered after they were hunted for feathers among other reasons, but it took legislation protecting them, enforcement, and education.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.