Ghetto Tax
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  08:30:41  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
New York Times article reports on a study that shows that people living in poor urban areas are actually paying more because of it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/19/us/19poor.html?ex=1153972800&en=a51a2b63dbdae205&ei=5070&emc=eta1

quote:
WASHINGTON, July 18 — Drivers from low-income neighborhoods of New York, Hartford and Baltimore, insuring identical cars and with the same driving records as those from middle-class neighborhoods, paid $400 more on average for a year's insurance.

The poor are also the main customers for appliances and furniture at “rent to own” stores, where payments are stretched out at very high interest rates; in Wisconsin, a $200 television can end up costing $700.

Those were just two examples among several cited in a report Tuesday showing that poor urban residents frequently pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year in extra costs for everyday necessities. The study said some of the disparities were due to real differences in the cost of doing business in poor areas, some to predatory financial practices and some to consumer ignorance.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Last year we moved into a lower income neighborhood to save money, and while we have saved money on rent, we've paid for it in other ways. The grocery stores are a lot farther away so I'm wasting time and gas where before I could walk if I wanted to. The cheapter and faster Internet doesn't reach to this part of the city yet. And in general, services are suckier which ends up requiring more driving or wasted time. And we've had packages stolen off our front stoop. Fortunately the car insurance thing doesn't touch me since the car is in my dad's name and registered in Ohio. Otherwise my car insurance would be at least four times what it is currently.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  11:06:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
A long time ago, my boyfriend (at the time) wrote a paper looking at the prices of the area Safeway stores. Prices were consistently higher in the lower income neighborhoods. He speculated it was because they either couldn't or didn't go further from home for more competitive prices.

And someone just told me a day or so ago, while shopping for car insurance they were asked to agree to a credit check before a rate quote.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  12:02:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

And someone just told me a day or so ago, while shopping for car insurance they were asked to agree to a credit check before a rate quote.

That is very common now, and lots of insurance companies use it to help figuer premium or if your a good risk at all. Mind you that is only one is a few indicators they look at. In general insurance companies have found bad credit score = bad risk. It is posible to be low income and have an ok credit score, but it is not easy.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  14:21:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by beskeptigal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is very common now, and lots of insurance companies use it to help figuer premium or if your a good risk at all. Mind you that is only one is a few indicators they look at. In general insurance companies have found bad credit score = bad risk. It is posible to be low income and have an ok credit score, but it is not easy.

Consumer Reports recently investigated the link between credit scores and insurance rates.

quote:
Everyone knows that if you hit another car, your auto insurer will probably raise your premiums. But you may not know this: Your premiums can shoot up much higher if you run into a new breed of credit score used by insurers, even if you have a spotless driving record and never had an at-fault car accident.

Known as credit-based insurance scores, these numbers are computed from bill-paying and loan data collected by the major credit bureaus. In recent years, the scores have become as important in determining your annual premium as your driving record and the neighborhood where you live.

An analysis by Consumer Reports found that scoring could cost many consumers hundreds of extra dollars. Here's a typical example of how scores can hurt: a 28-year-old single male from Orlando, Fla., with a clean driving record and no accidents would normally pay State Farm Mutual $1,251 a year for a new policy. With one at-fault accident, his premium would rise to $1,447. If the same driver instead fell into the lowest ranking in State Farm's credit-scoring system, however, his premium would shoot up to $2,600.

Even a driver with a great credit score whom lenders would normally bless with a low-interest mortgage could wind up with a less favorable insurance score and thus a high premium. That's because formulations for insurance scores weigh credit data differently from traditional lender scores. Indeed, insurance scores can penalize consumers who use credit reasonably. For instance, Progressive Auto Pro's Financial Responsibility Score will give premium-boosting black marks to a customer whose credit-bureau information says he opened three credit accounts within the previous year, including one credit card in the previous four months, and then made two or more additional loan inquiries without accepting the credit.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.