Religion
 This weeks sign of the apocolypse
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  14:48:23  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Besides the obvious...

Perhaps you read the article about the book of psalms found in a bog in Ireland... (Dramatic music stab)

quote:
The book was found open to a page describing, in Latin script, Psalm 83, in which God hears complaints of other nations' attempts to wipe out the name of Israel.

And yes, the museum director did use the word miracle in the article.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  15:37:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Maybe you can find it somewhere so we have something to go on.

Here's Google for psalms found in bog.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  15:51:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Here, beskeptigal.

Also NPR's coverage of the story.

Google tip: When looking for a recent news item, be sure to click the "News results for..." link at the top of the returned search. In the case of your search, beskeptigal, the correct story from the Seattle Post Intelligencer was the first item listed.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/26/2006 16:01:13
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  21:28:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I thought I had clicked news but maybe it was late.

Anyway, the picture doesn't look to be an open book, but a closed one and it looks more modern. But, I'll take their word for it it was open and they've properly dated it until some news to the contrary surfaces. I'll go read the psalm and get back.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  21:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Interesting but about as specific as Nostradamus or the Bible code.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  05:01:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Sorry, I didnt think there was any more useful information on this as of yet, plus with the world ending who has time for links, right?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  21:10:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
s'OK Big, it got taken care of. I had to go to the New International version to even understand the verse. The King James version was in Greek. I see no correlation to today's events.

Interestingly, though, as I've been standing up for the underdog Palestinians over on the JREF forum, it turns out there is a concerted effort to eliminate the name Palestinian. From Golda Meier on the Israelis have put out propaganda the Palestinians only adopted the name recently and according to the propaganda message, there is no Palestine, only Arabs and other Arab countries. And they talk about the Arabs wanting to destroy Israel, Israel not only doesn't recognize Palestine, they want it out of their vocabulary as well.

FYI, the Palestinians are the people who lived in the area known as Palestine. They weren't an ethnic group like Kurds or Sunnis or Jews but then lots of groups are identified by their country not their ethnic group. Are Canadians and Americans really just caucasians?
Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/28/2006 21:13:47
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  21:15:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
From The Bible Gateway, so people don't have to look it up.

Psalm 83 New International Version (NIV)

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
NIV at IBS International Bible Society NIV at Zondervan Zondervan

Psalm 83
A song. A psalm of Asaph.
1 O God, do not keep silent; be not quiet, O God, be not still.

2 See how your enemies are astir, how your foes rear their heads.

3 With cunning they conspire against your people; they plot against those you cherish.

4 "Come," they say, "let us destroy them as a nation, that the name of Israel be remembered no more."

5 With one mind they plot together; they form an alliance against you-

6 the tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites, of Moab and the Hagrites,

7 Gebal, [a] Ammon and Amalek, Philistia, with the people of Tyre.

8 Even Assyria has joined them to lend strength to the descendants of Lot. Selah

9 Do to them as you did to Midian, as you did to Sisera and Jabin at the river Kishon,

10 who perished at Endor and became like refuse on the ground.

11 Make their nobles like Oreb and Zeeb, all their princes like Zebah and Zalmunna,

12 who said, "Let us take possession of the pasturelands of God."

13 Make them like tumbleweed, O my God, like chaff before the wind.

14 As fire consumes the forest or a flame sets the mountains ablaze,

15 so pursue them with your tempest and terrify them with your storm.

16 Cover their faces with shame so that men will seek your name, O LORD.

17 May they ever be ashamed and dismayed; may they perish in disgrace.

18 Let them know that you, whose name is the LORD—that you alone are the Most High over all the earth.

Psalm 83 King James Version (KJV)

A Public Domain Bible KJV at Zondervan Zondervan

Psalm 83

1 Keep not thou silence, O God: hold not thy peace, and be not still, O God.

2 For, lo, thine enemies make a tumult: and they that hate thee have lifted up the head.

3 They have taken crafty counsel against thy people, and consulted against thy hidden ones.

4 They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.

5 For they have consulted together with one consent: they are confederate against thee:

6 The tabernacles of Edom, and the Ishmaelites; of Moab, and the Hagarenes;

7 Gebal, and Ammon, and Amalek; the Philistines with the inhabitants of Tyre;

8 Assur also is joined with them: they have holpen the children of Lot. Selah.

9 Do unto them as unto the Midianites; as to Sisera, as to Jabin, at the brook of Kison:

10 Which perished at Endor: they became as dung for the earth.

11 Make their nobles like Oreb, and like Zeeb: yea, all their princes as Zebah, and as Zalmunna:

12 Who said, Let us take to ourselves the houses of God in possession.

13 O my God, make them like a wheel; as the stubble before the wind.

14 As the fire burneth a wood, and as the flame setteth the mountains on fire;

15 So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm.

16 Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O LORD.

17 Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish:

18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/28/2006 21:20:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.