Making Choices
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  16:10:42  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
Yo:

I've just come home for a little midday repast and hear that George W. Bush is saying that he doesn't want "a fake peace" between Israel and Hizbollah."

I can't believe that I actually agree with what he says; but in this Orwellian Daze, when truth has long been the biggest casualty, it's important to clearly define what it is you mean when you say something...if you dare. Doublespeak splinters the positive.

I want peace to be genuine, too! But I know it's not going to come with a fake leader and president; someone who has been stealing his way to infamy; one who makes it more perfectly clear, everyday, that he would not think twice about stoking the conditions of the world to a level where he could quickly invoke war powers and revoke democratic elections.

As a child, I remember wondering to myself what it must be like for the ordinary German citizen to have to exist in The Fatherland in about 1943. Unfortunately, I sense that I may be starting to understand how so many Germans felt with the Third Reich in power.

Another thought has been troubling me some lately, as well. If Bush were to revoke the vote (so to speak), what would American citizens do? The choices are not pleasant to contemplate. But under such circumstances, unless one is a hermit and lives without support or contact with others, choices MUST be made. Social upheaval demands it.

Tomorrow, Tony Blair, whom I believe is the person who carries the water between Europe and the visionless American Neo-Non-Cons, will have a talk with George W. Bush. It will be incredibly interesting to see where Mr. Blair comes down. This guy has been caught between a rock and a hard place for a very long time.

Diplomacy and moderation are the ONLY paths that will get us...and I mean...ALL of us out of this awful fix that has, to a great extent, been precipitated by the Bush administration. We can't expect the Islamic madmen to stop. Can we expect someone with some rationality (somebody not a Rapture-prone dead-ender) to make an effort that is ALSO not fake (as George's) to chill-out the zealous dummies?

If anyone disagrees with what I've said, please tell me your plan; that is, if it includes in its mission stopping people from killing people on a grand and horrific scale. If not, you'd better make a choice and enlist in G. War's Unholy Army.

If you don't have another plan, reflect a while on this one.

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde

Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 07/27/2006 16:24:25

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  03:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Not sure what you're saying, here. Are you saying the problem in the Middle East is Islamic madmen?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  20:49:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Right, Orwell and that sustained peace is going to come about how?
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  22:06:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

Not sure what you're saying, here. Are you saying the problem in the Middle East is Islamic madmen?

Yo: Yes, Islamic madmen...Israeli madmen...and Neo-Con madmen. I didn't think it was necessary to mention the latter two. OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  22:12:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Eh... I don't know how constructive or accurate it is to frame it that way. You haven't really outlined a "plan" at all.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  22:32:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Right, Orwell and that sustained peace is going to come about how?

Yo: Didn't mention anything about sustained peace, although I imagine that's what you and I want. I used the word "fix," which relates to the brink of a much bigger conflict here. Likely bigger than the one Archie Bunker called "W" "W" "2."

Boiled down, the plan is: There can't be a plan if it doesn't include a rational attempt to talk, negotiate or, to coin a word,
"diplomize." Today, finally, the Bushits are SORT OF talking about talking, but I think that's coming because Israel is starting to realize that this ain't no picnic near a Mediterranean beach. And the Bushits are starting to notice that the rich Arabs(whose asses they keep their noses near $) are beginning to realize that really backing their poorer more zealous brothers is what should be done; particularly in light of the heavy Israeli bombardment of Lebanon.

The Pentagon has less control over the info flow of combat and victims in this fracas than it does with our own morass several hundred miles to the east. The video of the Lebanese being bombarded is very bad PR for Israel and the Bushits.

OY!

--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.