Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  21:11:45  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I am beginning to find this interesting.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/reuters/asia-80672.html

There seems to be some panic starting, why, I don't know.

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  21:50:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Well, if the fundies don't understand it or it's out of their mental realm to comprehend, then burn it? Maybe they should consider burning the book that contains the witchery and magic of walking on top of water, turning water into wine, a dead person coming alive again - zombie?
Jeez, what a bunch of blind hypocrites!

Randy
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  21:50:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
quote:

f

Because if children read, they may develope imaginations. His collection plate will be mighty lean if the next generation has a world view larger then Pastor Brock's. The media shouldn't give idiots like this any ink.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  21:52:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
quote:

Well, if the fundies don't understand it or it's out of their mental realm to comprehend, then burn it? Maybe they should consider burning the book that contains the witchery and magic of walking on top of water, turning water into wine, a dead person coming alive again - zombie?
Jeez, what a bunch of blind hypocrites!

Randy

Even suggesting something like that would start a whinefest amongst these folks. We'd get to hear all about freedoms of religion and expression. Of course they're all for these things, as long as their views are the only ones expressed.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

hatten_jc

Sweden
44 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  04:30:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit hatten_jc's Homepage Send hatten_jc a Private Message
quote:

f

dam thos are relly small micro brain thos fundis have.
If i where there i would start a Bibel burning in respons

Its wrong to burn books even bibels but i could be use as a orginase way to get the fanatics attantion. Of cours it may be dangerus to get the fanatics attantion...

Never underestimate a human's capacity for active stupidity.
Sorry about my lousy English ? can we talk in Swedish :)
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  07:16:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
From the article...

quote:
Brock, whose said his Christmas Eve sermon was titled "The Baby Jesus or Harry Potter?," described the book burning as part of an effort to encourage Christians to remove everything from their homes that prevents them from communicating with God.

Why doesn't the good pastor start by burning the PC that he typed his sermon on. I'm sure he spends many hours surfing the net digging for demonic material about that evil Potter kid.

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  08:31:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
quote:

Its wrong to burn books even bibels but i could be use as a orginase way to get the fanatics attantion. Of cours it may be dangerus to get the fanatics attantion...

No kidding Hatten. Remember, these folks want the power to decided what all of us read, what movies we should go to, and what TV shows we watch. If anything disagrees with their self-imposed "truth", it should be banned or burned.
A very scary bunch, indeed.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  09:07:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

f

So is he going to follow up the burning with a rousing verse of "Jesus, Jesus uber alles"?

Three words for this guy, Hitler Youth wannabe.

Go to Top of Page

hatten_jc

Sweden
44 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  09:29:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit hatten_jc's Homepage Send hatten_jc a Private Message
quote:

quote:

No kidding Hatten. Remember, these folks want the power to decided what all of us read, what movies we should go to, and what TV shows we watch. If anything disagrees with their self-imposed "truth", it should be banned or burned.
A very scary bunch, indeed.
Lisa

About ½ year ago there where a free showing of diffrent satelite program that you could buy and i hade the opertonety to whatch diffrent type of program from Animal chanel to GOD Channel a xian channel on the TV.
Weel the Animal Channel where funny but i say this The Killer Tomato is HIG quality compare the idiot chows they hade on the GOD channel.

I know baad TV program dont whatch normaly thats what i do but i just hade to look at thos program so that i could get a knowlege on WHAT xitian Fundis consider entertaining..

And scary it was more wortles enertaining in the world and the most tvisted lying sciense program that got me to wonder WAY dont scientist in USA dont go to coort and charge them fore slendering lying.

I mean the Fundis is making many laught at USA as the american fundamentalist christian like the fundamentalist Muslim seam to have zero fore IQ..
And before the fundamentalist taliban order came to rule afganistan the female could work and they hade movies and could dance and other things.
Then the fundamentalist took ower and NO more Freedom..

Fundamentalist chould be fought with knowledge and whith the law slandering lieys chould be stopt its the scientist and the educatid comunity duty to defend whats true.

Now i dont think the fundis in USA are as dangerus as the fundis in Afganistan are but waith 50 years and how knows.

Dictatorships/fundamentalist rule rarly come ower night after al often there are a period of social degration. ( or a sudden war, starving masses or other things )

Go to Top of Page

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  12:18:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
These "satanic influence" kooks are as thick as fleas in this part of the world, thanks to the proliferation of fly by night "non-denominational" churches. Among other things, they have been urged to get rid of frog images on the alleged grounds that these are some kind of focus for demonic power. I can just imagine some little child crying because their beloved Kermit toy was trashed by superstitious parents. Some years ago, one of the gags on Saturday Night Live's "Church Lady" skit involved a condemnation of Santa Claus because S-A-N-T-A is an anagram for S-A-T-A-N. In New York, it's a joke. Out here in the hinterland, there are people who take this seriously. Some time before the SNL skit, a fundamentalist couple with 3 small children told me that Santa Claus was completely banned from their home because the name itself is so "suspiciously" similarly to SATAN. They thought it was obvious to everyone, and expressed horror that even the local Christian schools were filled with evil Santa Claus imagery.

Abducting UFOs and conspiring against conspiracy theorists since 1980.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  17:36:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Truly bizarre, Piltdown, - evil Santa Claus indeed! Remember a preacher a few years back somewheres that was wanting to get rid of the word "Hello" in the english language because it has "hell" in it?
Now, what's truly the difference between that and um, say, tossing salt over your shoulder for luck or not stepping on a crack so as to break your mother's back.
Superstitions, good/bad luck, hexes, jinxs, religious fanaticism...quite a world here of make-believe.

Randy
Go to Top of Page

hatten_jc

Sweden
44 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  17:53:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit hatten_jc's Homepage Send hatten_jc a Private Message
quote:

Truly bizarre, Piltdown, - evil Santa Claus indeed! Remember a preacher a few years back somewheres that was wanting to get rid of the word "Hello" in the english language because it has "hell" in it?
Now, what's truly the difference between that and um, say, tossing salt over your shoulder for luck or not stepping on a crack so as to break your mother's back.
Superstitions, good/bad luck, hexes, jinxs, religious fanaticism...quite a world here of make-believe.

Randy

The diffrent is that is more logic in awoiding cracks in the road as they could be fild with wather and is.

But Religion there are werry fue things that are good about religion.

But the idee of a evile santa claus is bizar but not totaly.
In Sweden during the old days the Santa Claus where always followd by a Goat acording to the legend it was becuse Santa Claus where so good that he force the devil him self to turn in to that goat and carry Santa present and if a child where baad then the goat could become the devile and swalow the baad child hole...
Nice santa
personly i am glad fore the raindeer worsion of the saga of santa clause rudolf and blitzen seem mutch nicer then that ugly Goat.

The goat become a sympol fore the Devil as they where holy animals in the Asir religion the god TOR wagon where drawn by Two gigant mountain Goats. Tor where god of rain and also a wargod. Sacrifise to Tor where often Goats and that made the Xistan churth in Sweden during the erly years angry.
They soon startid claiming that the Goat where the symbol of the devile and its where a unmoral animal and so on.. that the devil him self traveld descise as goats.

Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  19:23:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

Anybody have a spare nuke I could use???

quote:
Quoted from: Piltdown

These "satanic influence" kooks are as thick as fleas in this part of the world, thanks to the proliferation of fly by night "non-denominational" churches. Among other things, they have been urged to get rid of frog images on the alleged grounds that these are some kind of focus for demonic power. I can just imagine some little child crying because their beloved Kermit toy was trashed by superstitious parents. Some years ago, one of the gags on Saturday Night Live's "Church Lady" skit involved a condemnation of Santa Claus because S-A-N-T-A is an anagram for S-A-T-A-N. In New York, it's a joke. Out here in the hinterland, there are people who take this seriously. Some time before the SNL skit, a fundamentalist couple with 3 small children told me that Santa Claus was completely banned from their home because the name itself is so "suspiciously" similarly to SATAN. They thought it was obvious to everyone, and expressed horror that even the local Christian schools were filled with evil Santa Claus imagery.

quote:
Quoted from: Randy

This reminds me of the versoin of Santa Claus from the show Futurama. For once I actually wish that version of Santa were true. At least as far as this numb-nuts as concerned.

"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness is usually the father." -Bailey's First Law
Go to Top of Page

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  04:38:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
This article, from the redoubtable North Texas Skeptics, has some interesting info on the evil frog concept: http://www.ntskeptics.org/1998/1998august/august1998.htm
The problem with the wacko interpretation is that the cited passage in Deuteronomy is simply a list of "clean" and "unclean" foods, it declares only that frogs are unsuitable for food (a position with which I wholeheartedly agree), not they are actually evil in and of themselves. By the wacko interpretation, it is perhaps unfortunate that the Bible does not explicitly forbid cannibalism by declaring human flesh an "unclean" food. If it did, the wackos would have to eradicate themselves as an evil influence.

Abducting UFOs and conspiring against conspiracy theorists since 1980.
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  20:06:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:
The problem with the wacko interpretation is that the cited passage in Deuteronomy is simply a list of "clean" and "unclean" foods, it declares only that frogs are unsuitable for food (a position with which I wholeheartedly agree)

I agree to, PD, especially since there are a couple species of frogs which have poison on their skin which can kill very quickly.

quote:
By the wacko interpretation, it is perhaps unfortunate that the Bible does not explicitly forbid cannibalism by declaring human flesh an "unclean" food. If it did, the wackos would have to eradicate themselves as an evil influence.

That, and we could probably arrest them for murder.

"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness is usually the father." -Bailey's First Law
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  09:58:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
hatten_jc:

Your English is excellent when you consider that my Swedish is non-existent. I can easily understand your statements, so there is no need to apologize.

Actually, English is a wonderful language because it incorporates so many, many other languages which were forced upon the early inhabitants of those islands by many conquerors. English contains so many words from other languages (and continuously adds even more) that it has easily become an international language. English is also considered the 'language of literature' because of its great variety of sounds (i.e. William Shakespeare). Anybody who challenges your English (which is just great, regardless of the slight changes in the spelling) should try communicating with you in your native Swedish. When they can accomplish that, they might have a right to complain.

Anyway, your mastery of the English language is absolutely wonderful! However, keep us all informed about your being Swedish so that none of us will make the imbecilic blunder of challenging you about your mastery of English.

ljbrs

"Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error." Goethe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.