New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  01:22:42  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yet a further confirmation of the Theory of Evolution, as if another were needed...
quote:

Evolution reversed in mice

The mouse looks the same but has an ancient gene
US researchers have taken a mouse back in time some 500 million years by reversing the process of evolution.
By engineering its genetic blueprint, they have rebuilt a gene that was present in primitive animals.

The ancient gene later mutated and split, giving rise to a pair of genes that play a key role in brain development in modern mammals.

The scientists say the experiments shed light on how evolution works and could lead to new gene therapy techniques.

I don't know much about genetics, but this looks pretty good to me. Perhaps some member or other(s) can elaborate upon it...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  08:30:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
When I wrote a column in undergrad I always reserved at least one February column for evolution (Darwin Day - February 12th, baby!). In response to one of those columns, someone wrote a letter to the editor criticizing evolution because "You can't go into a lab and re-grow the first fish."

Little did he know... tee hee.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  22:14:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
What you have here is the state of genetic science. Not only is it rather easy to read genetic code, designer DNA molecules are made in the lab. It's been going on a long time. I don't know the specifics. So they essentially constructed a gene then replaced one, probably in an embryo, then grew the mouse.

For example:
Gene Designer: a synthetic biology tool for constructing artificial DNA segments.

Having link trouble, I'll wait to see if it's the web host before trying to fix it.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/11/2006 22:22:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.