Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  08:28:00  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Don't these brain-dead dipshits know anything about chemestry?

I can understand why liquids are being taken away at the airports, but I certainly can not understand why those liquids are being poured out into a single container, all together. IN THE MIDST OF A CROWD, NO LESS!!

Thass right, folks. Mouthwash, peroxide, alcohol, hell, I don't know, maybe even bleach and ammonia, and, aw shit!, Hastur only knows what else are going into one, big bucket, willy-nilly.

Somebody's ass should be fired for gross incompetence. Fuck that; jail the ignorant bastard(s) for some sort of attempted neglegent homicide and have done with it.

This then is the Republican version of Homeland security -- if the terrorists don't kill you, we'll stupid you to death.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  09:57:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Good Lord!

Forget the airplane, just make sure you have several people poor the right things into that bin. But not for an explosion, gas. That would kill more people in such an enclosed space.

Idiots...

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  10:30:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. Even with liquids that are themselves relatively benign, a random mixture could do damned near anything.

I recall a fellow sailor who was stuck for a six-month stint along with me as a "head cleaner" on my Navy ship. He figured that he could and make a super-duper cleaner and lessen his work by mixing together all the cleaning liquids and powders used for the toilets and deck. When he told me his clever plan, I tried to stop him, but he went ahead and dumped a bunch of the stuff into a bucket. The result was the instant release of a massive amount of chlorine gas that caused the whole living compartment to have to be evacuated.

Amazing that even a government agency could be equally stupid, isn't it?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/11/2006 10:31:31
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  12:47:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
And what, say, if a real-deal terrorist came along and the contents or his/her soda-pop bottle(s) was so blythly and carelessly poured into the bucket? Hmmm?

Liquid explosives are only used in specialized applications because, by and large, they tend to be pretty unstable -- nitro-glycerin being a prime example. And the hydrogen peroxide, that many people carry in first aid kits for a disinfectent, is a prime ingredient in several low explosives. And, if you mix good, old Clorox with some ammonia, you stand a decent chance of killing or at least sickening everyone ihe the building, as Paulos has so nicely and so chillingly pointed out.

What in the hell are they thinking? What the hell, are they thinking at all? Ye gods, aren't these people even given some basic training concerning their jobs? Have we fallen into some sort of intellectual hiatus; some ghastly Never-Never Land where the blind lead the sighted and the inept instruct the competent?

I despair of defeating the terrorists in the forseeable future. We just ain't smart enough......

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  15:05:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
For what it's worth, this liquid-mixing practice doesn't seem to be a national policy of the TSA. Most TV coverage shows bottles, jars, toothpaste tubes, and cosmetics containers being dropped by reluctant passengers into trash cans unopened and unpoured. I suspect TSA had no disposal policy at all, and local guards were merely winging it. But the implied lack of a policy for disposal seems symptomatic of the bad planning of TSA, DHS, and the Bush crowd.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/11/2006 15:07:00
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  17:24:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I hate to be a party pooper, but I suspect that no matter who runs the administration, this type of bonehead stuff will happen. Just the nature of the beast.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  18:12:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Not saying it hasn't happened, but I am suspicious when I see a screen capture of an un-identified web page that refers to another webpage that I can't access......

Joe

The Circus of Carnage... because you should be able to deal with politicians like you do pissant noobs.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  22:01:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Filthy, when's the last time you were in an airport? That's just a passenger pouring out their coffee or soda in a trash can. Heck, it could even be a file photo since everyone does it. They don't usually let you carry an open cup on while boarding as it spills too easily when people are placing bags in spaces and getting in their seats.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  23:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
B'gal, I've taken dozens of flights since 9/11 (including about ten trips in 2005), and have never seen anyone get asked to pour their drink into a trash can before boarding. In fact, in Dulles, LAX, Dallas/Ft. Worth and La Guardia airports, any such request would generally force a passenger to move against the boarding line and many yards away from a ticket-taker in order to comply. The trash cans simply aren't kept that close to the gates. Six-and-a-half days ago, at the C gates in La Guardia, I had to walk two gates away from mine in order to throw away my chewing gum (I am very glad my trip didn't take place a week later than it did).

I'm scheduled to travel another seven times before next April, so I'll keep an eye out for what's going on in any airport I happen to get to, although rail travel is looking more and more tempting.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  03:04:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I don't fly. Ever.

I've been visiting AmericaBlog for several years and they pretty much have their act together, for a bunch of lefties. If the story is mistaken, they will make a correction and I will pass it along. Unlike the 'mainstream' press, they won't bury it on page 30, under the Preparation H ad.

All of this raises an interesting question, though: In this situation, what is the safest way to dispose of this stuff, bottled or loose? Due to the situation, it must all be regarded as a potential hazard, even though it is harmless. Mostly, anyway. This means that you can't simply pour it down the drain nor haul it off the the dump without an exmination by hazardous substances experts. That's a lot of baby powder and bellywash to look at.

I understand, unconfirmed, that even lady's lip gloss is getting confiscated.

But all of this stuff can be carried along if it is in the stowed luggage and not carried on the person, so, as soon as travelers find this out, the inconvienience will be minimized as will the disposal question. And a whole, new can of worms might be opened.

We shall see....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  04:47:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
The caption says she's pouring her drink in the trash while she waits in line.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  05:31:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I don't fly. Ever.

I've been visiting AmericaBlog for several years and they pretty much have their act together, for a bunch of lefties. If the story is mistaken, they will make a correction and I will pass it along. Unlike the 'mainstream' press, they won't bury it on page 30, under the Preparation H ad.

It is ludicrous that they even posted it at all. People do get sucked in on occassion, but this one is rediculous.

quote:
All of this raises an interesting question, though: In this situation, what is the safest way to dispose of this stuff, bottled or loose? Due to the situation, it must all be regarded as a potential hazard, even though it is harmless. Mostly, anyway. This means that you can't simply pour it down the drain nor haul it off the the dump without an exmination by hazardous substances experts. That's a lot of baby powder and bellywash to look at.

That is a good question. The handleing of potentially hazerdous substances is pretty darn expensive. I could see lip gloss being confiscated. The gloss part may work as gloss, but how much high explosive material on a window of a jet is needed to bring it down? What about chewing gum...... hmmm......

Joe

The Circus of Carnage... because you should be able to deal with politicians like you do pissant noobs.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  12:32:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

B'gal, I've taken dozens of flights since 9/11 (including about ten trips in 2005), and have never seen anyone get asked to pour their drink into a trash can before boarding. In fact, in Dulles, LAX, Dallas/Ft. Worth and La Guardia airports, any such request would generally force a passenger to move against the boarding line and many yards away from a ticket-taker in order to comply. The trash cans simply aren't kept that close to the gates. Six-and-a-half days ago, at the C gates in La Guardia, I had to walk two gates away from mine in order to throw away my chewing gum (I am very glad my trip didn't take place a week later than it did).

I'm scheduled to travel another seven times before next April, so I'll keep an eye out for what's going on in any airport I happen to get to, although rail travel is looking more and more tempting.

At the Horizon boarding gate they used to serve free coffee. I've even poured mine out in the trash can myself, or rather put the whole cup in. I don't imagine all gates and airlines are the same. On the other hand, the picture still isn't what filthy thought it was.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  12:48:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

All of this raises an interesting question, though: In this situation, what is the safest way to dispose of this stuff, bottled or loose? Due to the situation, it must all be regarded as a potential hazard, even though it is harmless. Mostly, anyway. This means that you can't simply pour it down the drain nor haul it off the the dump without an exmination by hazardous substances experts. That's a lot of baby powder and bellywash to look at. ...

Biohazardous liquids being on my list of things to know about disposal of....

The trash haulers would prefer liquids not be in the trash but they don't make a big issue of it except if too much is in the hospital's waste stream a complaint will be issued.

Specific liquids in containers are only banned if they are on the hazardous waste list such as petroleum products and solvents. Those must be dried out (leave can open to air for paints, definitely not recommended for solvents) or taken to the hazardous waste pick up site.

Hazardous waste laws are local with the exception of DOT rules in transporting and of course, where you toss the stuff. The location of a landfill determines the jurisdiction.

While, I'd leave the kind of things one might be discarding in the airline case in the containers, some trash is compacted and the containers will be crushed anyway.

My guess is the feds issued these guidelines and didn't bother to even ask what the airlines are to do with the waste products. My experience is the right and left hand of government departments rarely communicate let alone coordinate such things. Each department has its own tunnel to view the world out of.

I would hope anything toxic would be at least looked into as potential evidence but I have no clue what people carry around. Permanent markers and liquid whiteout have to have an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) in offices as do a few other items that could be flammable or toxic in the workplace. But you would never find a city or county banning such small quantities of solvents from the trash. They don't even ban home generated sharps like diabetic syringes in some jurisdictions though proper sharps containers are required. Have you ever put a disposable razor in the trash? That is allowed from home but the same item at a business with any medical practice has to treat them as hazardous waste.

Here's the EPA site with a lot more specifics.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/12/2006 12:51:12
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  19:06:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Yeah, MSDS sheets... Gotta love them..... Everything has to have an MSDS sheet...

Joe

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  21:16:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I've even poured mine out in the trash can myself, or rather put the whole cup in.
Every time I see someone just blithely toss a cup with liquids in it into a trash can, I silently curse them for the mess they're leaving for the cleaning crew. When I have had to put a non-empty cup into the trash, I've always tried to stuff it with something absorbent, or I try to make sure it lands on something absorbent, or at the very least I try to make sure it lands right-side up. Trash bags generally aren't leak-proof, and having to make a special trip back to clean up the "dribbles" of half-drunk coffee has got to suck rocks.

...You know, now that I think about it, the only time I've ever seen anyone "pour" anything into a public trash can (other than the picture in question), it's been vomit, at amusement parks. One would think that they'd have wised up to that a long time ago, and provided alternative solutions to that little problem, since I can't imagine the hell of emptying a trash can only to find a biohazardous "surprise" in the thin plastic bag.
quote:
On the other hand, the picture still isn't what filthy thought it was.
Well, yeah, there is that.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.