A blueprint for war in Iran?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  07:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
This article was brought to my attention by beskeptigal over in the Galloway thread. The article attempts to detail how our administration saw and approved of the recent conflict in Southern Lebanon as a test for a successful air assault on Iran by the U.S. This is some scary stuff…

From the New Yorker

Issue of 2006-08-21
Posted 2006-08-14
quote:

Analysis of national security
WATCHING LEBANON
by SEYMOUR M. HERSH
Washington's interests in Israel's war.

In the days after Hezbollah crossed from Lebanon into Israel, on July 12th, to kidnap two soldiers, triggering a Israeli air attack on Lebanon and a full-scale war, the Bush Administration seemed strangely passive. “It's a momen of clarification,” President George W. Bush said at the G-8 summit, in St. Petersburg, on July 16th. “It's now becom clear why we don't have peace in the Middle East.” He described the relationship between Hezbollah and it supporters in Iran and Syria as one of the “root causes of instability,” and subsequently said that it was up to thos countries to end the crisis. Two days later, despite calls from several governments for the United States to take the lea in negotiations to end the fighting, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said that a ceasefire should be put off until “the conditions are conducive.

The Bush Administration, however, was closely involved in the planning of Israel's retaliatory attacks. President Bush and Vice-President Dick Cheney were convinced, current and former intelligence and diplomatic officials told me, that a successful Israeli Air Force bombing campaign against Hezbollah's heavily fortified underground-missile and command-and-control complexes in Lebanon could ease Israel's security concerns and also serve as a prelude to a potential American preemptive attack to destroy Iran's nuclear installations, some of which are also buried deep underground.

I suggest reading the entire article…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  09:17:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Damn, the article really paints Cheney as a rigid ideologue who is going to do whatever the hell he has planned, regardless of what happens in the meantime.

Israel's retalitory attacks may still have re-enforced a justification for US attacks on Iran - I'm hearing more and more analysis that says Israel only botched their retaliation because they didn't hit Hezbollah hard enough (because they were ignorant of just how powerful Hezbollah was). Indeed, while the war with Hezbollah is losing support in Israel, the main reason for its losing credibility with the people of Israel is they think the strike was too weak. If that opinion holds, Olmert can kiss his job goodbye next elections, and the Israeli people will vote in someone who will be even heavier-handed in attempts to smash the terrorists.
quote:
On August 6th, Prime Minister Olmert, responding to European condemnation of the deaths of Lebanese civilians, said, “Where do they get the right to preach to Israel? European countries attacked Kosovo and killed ten thousand civilians. Ten thousand! And none of these countries had to suffer before that from a single rocket. I'm not saying it was wrong to intervene in Kosovo. But please: don't preach to us about the treatment of civilians.” (Human Rights Watch estimated the number of civilians killed in the NATO bombing to be five hundred; the Yugoslav government put the number between twelve hundred and five thousand.)
Wow, what an attitude to have toward the loss of innocent lives.

quote:
The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result.
This has nothing to do with the article, but I just wanted to say that I always hated this saying because isn't it also a good description of practice? Oops, I think I'm overanalyzing something that's not meant to be analyzed again.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 08/15/2006 09:19:24
Go to Top of Page

sack of kittens

12 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  16:38:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sack of kittens a Private Message
From what I have read , I have never thought that Iraq was the end game , nor Iran . It's political positioning against China and the resources in the region ( all in line with PNAC objectives and other related persons/groups. There is a lot of whacko stuff out there , but you really do have to sift through it all and weigh up whats going on. This article is a good starter

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/HE09Ad01.html
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  17:04:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
marfknow said:
quote:
Damn, the article really paints Cheney as a rigid ideologue who is going to do whatever the hell he has planned, regardless of what happens in the meantime.

Was there ever any question about the truth of that? It isn't as if he hides it or anything.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.