Dark Matter is real
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  12:43:52  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Link

quote:

A team of U.S. scientists has found the first direct evidence of the existence of "dark matter," a little-understood substance with a huge influence on gravity, the team's leader said on Tuesday.

Using orbiting telescopes, the researchers watched two giant gas clouds in outer space collide over a 100-hour period. As the clouds clashed, they said, the visible gas particles slowed, pulling away from the invisible dark matter particles.

The researchers said they could detect the dark matter particles by their gravitational pull on the surrounding visible particles.

"This is the first time we've been able to show that (dark matter) has to be out there, that you can't explain it away," Clowe told Reuters. "We haven't actually been able to see the dark matter particles themselves, but what we have been able to do is ... image the gravity that they're generating."

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

Edited by - pleco on 10/03/2006 05:09:19

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  12:58:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Here is another link to the story. It was actually 2 massive glactic clusters that interacted with each other.

[Link fixed. Dr. Mabuse]

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 08/23/2006 14:41:50
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  20:43:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
"Page not found", furshur.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  20:50:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Here is the Astrophysical Journal site which is due to publish the latest Dark Matter paper. Give it a few more days and maybe we can read the original article. I tried linking to a search for dark matter there but it linked to the search site instead.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/22/2006 20:54:45
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  07:13:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:

Damn Nature - they make it very challenging to post links.
If you go to nature.com and in the search box enter "galaxy collision" the article in question will show up on the first page of hits.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  14:43:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

quote:

Damn Nature - they make it very challenging to post links.
If you go to nature.com and in the search box enter "galaxy collision" the article in question will show up on the first page of hits.

No worries, furshur. I fixed it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  21:35:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I like the no commitment phrases, "Dark matter might be the cause."

Clearly there is gravity suggesting matter and it doesn't interact with light suggesting dark. Either the laws of gravity are wrong or it's dark matter.

Is there another choice I'm missing here?
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  04:56:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Some other process that is unknown or couldn't be measured.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  05:21:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I like the no commitment phrases, "Dark matter might be the cause."
No scientist is going to commit to a position until there exist decades of reliable data.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  07:46:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I think its just antilight and since we have no antiphoton detectors we just cant see it.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  11:12:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I think its just antilight and since we have no antiphoton detectors we just cant see it.

But we could use our perfectly good photon antidetectors.

By the way, what's likely to be the nature of dark matter? There seems to be plenty of it, much more than all the normal matter in the universe. Is it likely to be found in our solar system, perhaps in planetary cores, or in the sun? (Did I bring up the sun? Sorry!) Could there be tiny but earth-like extrasolar planets which hold an atmosphere because their dark matter cores give them sufficient mass?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

sublime

USA
1 Post

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  21:05:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send sublime an AOL message Send sublime a Private Message
I do not believe it can exist in planetary cores, becasue it is used to explain why solar systems on the outide of galaxies are not at traveling at the right speed according to the current gravitational laws.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  21:26:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Welcome to Skeptic Friends Network, sublime!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  23:25:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Please fix plecos link to!

Its too long for my little screen.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  05:09:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Please fix plecos link to!

Its too long for my little screen.

Fixed.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  04:46:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
i think calling it dark matter is offensive. light inhibited matter is more PC

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.